“Relaxed, attractive, and comfortable ambiance”
Review of Brix

Brix
Reserve with OpenTable
Brix is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 286 Restaurants in Napa
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 1 mile north of Madison St
Description: Located in the heart of Napa Valley! 1 Mile North of Yountville on Highway 29. Take a walk around the grounds or through the vineyard after your meal. You are sure to fall in love with our property. We have 25 raised beds of herbs and vegetables that supply our kitchen on a daily basis so take a minute to stroll around and see what is ready to be harvested! If you are celebrating a Birthday, Anniversary, or other special occasion, please note that restaurant policy is to provide custom handwriting on the plate of the person celebrating when you order dessert.
Los Angeles, California
“Relaxed, attractive, and comfortable ambiance”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Excellent service. Wide variety of selections. Well prepared and generous portions. Wine choices galore.

Visited March 2014
Michael C, Owner at Brix, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Your review is like music to my ears, Clint! Thanks for taking the time to spread the word about us on TripAdvisor. Hope to have you back again soon!

'Til then,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Napa, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

To me there are 3 criteria that I look for in a restaurant: Ambiance, Service & Food.

The Ambiance at Brix is great. The inside is classy and the outside deck is beautiful. The views of vines with roses in the foreground is stunning. The gardens seemed well maintained and clean.

Our server was very friendly and knowledgable. She recommended the mussels and salmon. My wife had the Split Pea Soup and Lasagne.

The mussels were good but nothing special. The blackened Salmon was on a bed of broccoli and kale with tomato sauce. I thought this combination was too bitter and full of flavor that the salmon got lost. My wife was happy with her food.

Overall, I would say that the food was ok and did not reach the standard that the price structure would lead one to expect. If the food matched its price point then this restaurant has all the components for big successes.

Michael C, Manager at Brix, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
We'll admit, this review looks familiar, Hartmut. To avoid too much repetition, I will keep this response on the lighter side and encourage you to chat it over with us on Yelp, where we can privately message about how we can make this right!

When it comes to our atmosphere, I'm glad you found it classy and beautiful. Those are very kind and much appreciated words. As for the service, it's fantastic she was both friendly and knowledgeable. I look forward to sharing those compliments with the team! I'm disappointed to hear you found our food nothing special. It's our goal to serve our guests tasty, flavorful, fresh food, so I truly apologize if you felt your dishes were anything but. Please let me assure you that's not feedback we often receive, and I will provide this feedback to our chef so next time, we can better serve you!

Kindly
“Nix Brix”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have been to Brix numerous times and to be honest this was the WORST experience we have had in regards to service and food quality. We had a 1:15 lunch reservation as it was a birthday lunch, so it was after the noon rush and were seated promptly. It took over 15 minutes before we were approached by a server and offered water. After taking the water order he (Brad) disappeared and did not come back for another 10 minutes and at that time we had been been at the table for 25 minutes and he asked if he could take our drink orders. We did not want to risk Brad disappearing again so we asked if we could place our food and drink order at the same time and he stated that he would prefer to take drink orders first. So we ordered our drinks. Another 17 minutes passed and each time he walked by our table he would ignore us and finally he brought out the drinks and we ordered The tables all around us that came in after us had drinks and even were provided with bread. We asked Brad if we could have some bread and he told us that he would have someone bring us some. This only happened after we flagged down another server who was setting up the table and asked if we could have some bread. Another 40 minutes went by and still no food (we ordered 2 burgers, the pasta, and a chicken salad). I finally flagged Brad down and asked him the status of our food and he told me the food would come out when the kitchen put it up and it would be shortly. Another 10 minutes went by and I flagged down a gentleman who appeared to be the manager as he was dressed in a dress shirt and tie. I asked him politely if he could check on our meal as it has been over an hour since we our order was taken and we still did not have food. He replied and I quote "it could not have been over and hour and I will check". The food came out within 7 minutes. The rare burger was cooked medium, the chicken salad was war like it had been sitting on the station, and my pasta was gloppy and cold. When Brad came back to ask if we had everything (He didn't care if we liked or everything was prepared to our liking) we told him that the rare burger was overcooked and we showed him and he said he would bring another one out. We told him it was fine as we did not want to wait for another burger (based on this experience it could have been another hour). We had to ask a couple of times for water and before our meal was complete he put the check on the table and said "I am going to leave this because I know you are in a rush". We never indicated we were in a rush, we indicated we did not want to wait for another burger to be prepared. He then asked if we would like to see dessert menus and did not care enough to ensure the menu was presenter in the right direction. Mine was upside down and turned backwards.
It's actually the little things in dining out that are important. I don't mind if food take a little longer to come out, but I don't like when a server like Brad is totally not into his job, ignores customers, and basically did not care.
Will we be back? Probably not - even the absolutely beautiful patio won't be enough for us. There are so many great dining choices in the Sonoma and Napa region to spend money for bad service. I live in Sonoma and I certainly won't rush back to Brix.

Michael C, Manager at Brix, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
It's truly disheartening to read this review, Bri, as it's the absolute last impression we wish to leave on our guests. When it comes to your meal, you're right. Having to wait so long to order is not acceptable! While we certainly want our guests to relax and enjoy our tasty food and beautiful views, we never want them to feel frustrated with the wait time. Please let me assure you that what you describe sounds very out of character for Brad, and I will provide him with some feedback.

As for the food, I apologize that your dishes did little for your taste buds. I wish you would've accepted our replacement dishes, but on the other hand, I do understand how upset you were feeling at the time it was offered. While I cannot change the past, I'd like to personally invite you back for another opportunity to impress. I know we are the same restaurant you've grown to love, and want you to see your feedback in action.

Kindly,
JACKSONVILLE
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The restaurant was extra busy due to chilly weather driving the outdoor seated guests inside, so our table was delayed 15 minutes. We started with appetizers at the bar which was fun. Prompt service. Moving to our table from there we continued with a beautiful salad including caramalized apples which set this salad apart from any other. My favorite dish of all was fresh split English pea soup. Delectable!
Quiet enough to easily hear your dinner partners easily.
On a warmer evening, we would have gone out to walk their beautiful gardens.
A nice 15 minute drive past beautiful vineyards from downtown Carmel, where we stayed.

Michael C, Manager at Brix, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us, Lynne. It means a lot to hear you enjoyed your beautiful salad and delectable split English pea soup. I look forward to passing these kind words about to our chef! Next time you're in Napa, I sincerely hope you'll keep us in mind. You've always got a spot at our table!

Cheers,
San Francisco, California
“Brix needs a refresher course in customer service”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I couldn't wait to get back to Brix. The interior is well done but the real star is the rear patio. It's among the most beautiful, and well tended gardens in the Napa Valley. It is a wonderful experience to dine al fresco here.

Unfortunately that is pretty much where the great experience stopped. The service was painfully slow and erratic. One drink order was taken and the other three of us waited about 15 minutes til the one drink arrived and then the waiter suggested we order our lunch. The wait was very long with no attention from our waiter, water refill or anything. Finally we asked a manager to please check on the order as we had been waiting close to any hour, he scoffed and said well I'm sure it hasn't been an hour and left. Our waiter came by a bit later and simply said, I'll bring it out when it's ready (not helpful).

The food arrived shortly thereafter. The chicken salad i ordered was room temperature and apppeared to have been sitting out for some time. One hamburger ordered very rare was well overcooked and when we pointed it out, the waiters response was well I'll gte yoo another rare hamburger as if he first one presented was just right.

The real topper was when we had literally put down our forks the waiter plopped the bill down on the table and said here's the check I know you all are in a hurry. HUH? I asked fora dessert menus and we ordered creme brulee that was wonderful.

I've had many wonderful meals at Brix, and maybe we caught an off day but it wasn't up to par and and though their reputation is great, you can't rest on your laurels in this biz.

1 Thank charlesj18
Michael C, Manager at Brix, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
It's truly disheartening to read this review, Charles, as it's the absolute last impression we wish to leave on our guests. When it comes to your meal, you're right. Having to wait so long to order is not acceptable! While we certainly want our guests to relax and enjoy our tasty food and beautiful views, we never want them to feel frustrated with the wait time. Please let me assure you that what you describe sounds very out of character for us, and the last thing we want is for you to feel disappointed.

As for the food, I apologize that your dishes did little for your taste buds. While I cannot change the past, I'd like to personally invite you back for another opportunity to impress. I know we are the same restaurant you've grown to love, and want you to see your feedback in action.

Kindly,