“It was OK i guess”

Napa Discovery Inn
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Napa
“It was OK i guess”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

So this was the cheapest place we could find to stay in Napa, so I should complain. but is was very far for the main town. the guy behind the desk was rude and abrupt with us when checking in, and not helpful at all. the room smelled very strongly of bleech, but was clean. but i wouldn't stay here again, i would stay in Sonoma it was alot nicer than Napa.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Concord
Reviewed 15 May 2013

2 blocks from main entrance of Napa Fairgrounds - walk to the concert and downtown Napa.Don't expect a Napa Valley cozy little getaway. This place is a pure nuts & bolts, old time, mid-century MOTEL right on the Silverado Trail. Absolutely NO frills. Park right next to your room door and watch out for the semis and tour buses. Wouldn't be good for kids.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The Napa Discovery Inn may be the worst motel in all of Napa Valley.

The parking lot is exposed, isolated, and dark. The moment I pulled in I started to feel nervous and uncomfortable. (I'm female and I was traveling alone.) My very first thought was "my truck's gonna get broken into."

Check-in was okay, though there was an overpowering smell of curry (to which I am allergic) and loud talking in the room next to the office. They charged my credit card in advance for two nights--that's not normal for motels in this area.

The parking space in front of my room was too small for my compact pickup, but I didn't want to move it because I wanted it blocking the very exposed front window.

The room was much smaller than online photos indicated. It smelled awful and it wasn't overly clean. A desk and fridge were jammed into a tiny dark alcove. Then I heard the distintive whine of mosquitos coming from right above my head. And finally, a large orange and yellow spider sauntered across the night stand.

I'm phobic about bugs in hotel rooms, so I started to panic. I'd seen chain motels on my way to the Discovery Inn, and knew I could get a room elsewhere. So I took my keys back up to the desk and checked out.

The clerk tried to give me another room. When I said no, and described the bug problems, he started yelling at me. He tried to bully/guilt me into staying. It didn't work and I got the hell out of there. Lost the money, but it was worth it to be in a decent motel (the Hawthorne Suites).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank travelswithpain

Travellers are raving about these Napa hotels

Spokane
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The Napa Discovery Inn is well maintained and clean. The continental breakfast was good and the coffee was excellent. It was an easy hotel to find and is close to downtown Napa. The free high speed wireless internet and free local phone calls were a bonus! Our two day stay was pleasant and comfortable. I would stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
West Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute because most hotels in Napa were already booked for Friday night. Shortly after booking a room I read a scathing review, with pictures of the Discovery Inn. Due to the horrendous pictures, I was not expecting much at all. Hoping for a bed with no bugs, etc.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds were neat and clean and nicely landscaped. The room was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. I had a refrigerator, microwave, TV with lots of channels and even an ante room to spread out, if needed. The only con I experienced was the shower leaked a bit and after showering, there was water all over the floor. We just put towels on the floor and it took care of the problem. I don't know what the other reviewer was expecting when he gave his review but we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Don't know about the other rooms but we had room 16 and it was just fine.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Recently made trip to Napa CA. Made reservation at the Discovery Inn. Do not go here! The rooms are run down, no heat, a one man operation and it appears to be a converted warehouse. We checked in and checked out in 10 minutes. We did not get our money back however, well worth the loss and went to the Hilton. This place is so bad they owe me stars for rating.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruberuiz
Singapore
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel is older than it looks like on the web. Location is a bit off. It is near by an auto repair station, surrounding by many banana trees.

I couldnt ask much for the price but overall didnt feel great when staying there.

Also, it isn't a great idea to visit Napa in December either. All the vine trees die so it is not beautiful as you see in the brochure.

• Stayed December 2012