“Disappointing Due to Cleanliness” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Napa Discovery Inn
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Napa
San Pedro, CA
“Disappointing Due to Cleanliness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

The review of this hotel showed that it was renovated, I expected something decent. When we arrived, a condom wrapper was on the pillow, perched like an after-dinner mint. The room has a strong, rancid smoke odor, even though the door had a "no-smoking" sign. The space heater also gave off a rancid odor.

This place could be good for its simplicity and ease -- for example parking your car 4 feet from your front door, and walking just 50-100 feet for breakfast. But it needs total smoke removal and replacement of space heaters to eliminate odor.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

This quiet inn is located in a hidden location just a few miles away from downtown Napa. I'll be honest, when I was pulling into the parking lot I was extremely skeptical as to whether or not I'd actually stay. I walked into the office and although it may be small, it had character. Peter was the one that checked me and my husband in. There was a mix up with our reservation because apparently they didn't receive our paper work from Expedia. For all the miscommunication and hassle to call directly to Expedia to figure out what went wrong, Peter offered us a free upgrade to a King size room. The room was a bit on the smaller side but it was clean, cozy, and comfy. I enjoyed the private parking next to my room and the breakfast in the morning. Although there was not a big assortment, it was enough to fill my stomach before wine tasting. One item that I would like to see in the breakfast area is some sort of protein for example eggs or yogurt. Overall I feel bad for judging the place when I first arrived. It may be a two star hotel but it had great accommodations for the price. Breakfast, free wireless, friendly staff. When i return to Napa I will be visiting the Discovery Inn again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Western Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

Napa Discovery Inn is not a bad place to stay. Just don't expect five stars at two star prices. The room was just good; relatively clean and neat. The air conditioner was much too loud, one could almost not sleep. It also did not do a good job of cooling the room. Breakfast was just OK - not much in the way of offerings. We found the location to be convenient to most wineries, which is what we were looking for. Would have liked to be closer to downtown Napa, but that was our fault.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

We used hotwire to get this hotel in Napa. I wouldn't highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are a little dingy and relatively clean. The towels had some stains and I thought they could have been a bit cleaner. The breakfast "nook" is a joke - some vending food type pastries, coffee and water cooler is all you will find in this tiny corner near the check in desk.

The biggest issue I had with the place was the location. It's right on the Silverado Trail, but wasn't super close to anything in downtown Napa despite saying that it is within walking distance to COPIA and other locations. There are no sidewalks on the street to town, which made walking to dinner seem like a bad idea.

Honestly, stay in the Travel Lodge. It's closer to everything and should be about the same price.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Napa hotels

california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

I commute alot, from my home to Napa, and with the price of gas these days it was just easier and more affordable to say at a hotel in napa a couple nights a week to save on gas, commute time, wear and tear on my vehicle, and lets not forget to mention the lack of sleep. Discovery Inn has cute little cottage like rooms, you have your own private parking stall, it's almost like a home away from home. The rooms are always clean, the setting is far enough off the main road that you don't get all the road traffic sounds. I really enjoy my stays at Discovery Inn, and I highly recommend them to people who like nice places to stay.

Stayed August 2008
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Discovery Inn. The location is in a somewhat run down section of Napa, but for the adventurous it is possible to walk/bike downtown. We were given a fairly large room that was clean. My major complaints are the lack of pillows (one this pilow per person) and a very loud air conditioner. The price fit the accomodations very well in this case.

Stayed August 2008
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

I wish I had read these reviews before I booked my room. I can't understand how anyone would rate this motel as a good experience.

The morning of the day I was to arrive at the Inn, Mina contacted me and said that she did not have a room for my group of 4 adults. I said that I had contacted the Inn a week ago and that my reservation had been confirmed. She replied that since I had not talked to her directly, I did not have a room. She then informed me that I could have 2 rooms for my party of 4. I asked that she charge me the price of one room because the Inn had made an error. She replied that I would be charged for 2 rooms. She then said that she could give me a room with a king size bed and charge me for a cot. She said that 3 of us could sleep in a king size bed. I said that was unacceptable and later she called back with a room with 2 queen size beds.

Arriving at the Inn late that evening, I was more than disappointed. Don't be fooled by the photos on the Inn's website. The photos have obviously been enhanced. Rather than a beautiful Ca. sky in the background, picture the industrial section of Napa. Click hybrid on the map on the Inn's site and you will see the true surroundings of the motel. This is not the Napa that is alluded to on their site. I wish I had been more thorough before I had booked my stay.

The Inn is an old Ca. motel that has been "spruced up" on the outside. Before checking in, I peeked through a window and saw that the original furnishings were still there. It looked old and run down, definitely not worth the price being charged. Don't be fooled by the website's description of the tasteful remodeling.

Having seen the room I promptly called Mina and cancelled my stay. She was extremely rude(as she had been earlier that day) and replied that she would charge me for the room. In retrospect, I should have not asked for her to honor my reservation that morning.

Mina did charge me $180 for the room that I did not stay in. After seeing the accommodations and reading the negative reviews on this site, I am glad that I did not stay at the Discovery Inn.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the owner is rude and dishonest.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)