“Service outstanding; property hit and miss”

The Meritage Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 13 April 2014

From the bellman who greeted me and helped me with my bags to Juan in the bowling alley, to the super chipper baristas in the coffee place Blend, the staff at the Meritage are terrific. And the overall impression of the property is impressive. The pool, the outdoor seating spread around the property, the number of outdoor fireplaces, and the walk to the wine crush statue are all pluses. On the minus side is a lack of commitment to the environment: we are in the midst of a statewide drought and there is no notice in the room, no opportunity to reuse towels or leave sheets, not even towel racks in the bathroom. Plus they remodeled with such gassy carpet that it triggered my allergies bigtime.
The property is clearly designed to accommodate big groups but they didn't have enough rooms with double queens. Do they really expect colleagues (sometimes who are paired with people they don't know well) to share a bed? The lunch meals were terrific, but the food at the ultra lounge and in the buffet in the evening was disappointing. Plus the only place to get snacks ran out of food--even nonperishables like chips. And doesn't offer candy bars especially chocolate!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Julie S,

Thank you for your compliments about the resort and our friendly staff. I will be certain to share your comments with the team about your guest room experience. I will also reach out to our food and beverage team and pass on your notes regarding our dining outlets. Your feedback is truly appreciated.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,037)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just stayed at he Meritage for a business function and thought it was a great resort. We wish we had more time there to fully experience all that the resort has to offer. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The only negative thing I have to say is that they really have crappie wifi and cell service is spotty at best. We will most definitely stay there again on our next trip to Napa which will be more for a vacation than work.

Dear James M,

It was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy The Meritage Resort in the midst of your business trip. Please accept my apology the challenges your experienced with the internet. I will be sure to share your comments with our IT team. I really do hope you will be able to return for family vacation. If so, let us know in advance and we will be happy to assist you in setting up wine tours dining experiences and all the the resort and Napa has to offer.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Meritage Resort exceeded my expectations. From the moment I checked in, to the moment I checked out, everything was truly amazing. The staff is very professional and welcoming. Everyone is very pleasant and always has a smile on their face. The property is very neat and clean and I felt very comfortable. All of the restaurants and bars provided excellent service. It's located in an awesome location with breath taking scenery!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear DeniseGeathers,

It was wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay at the Meritage Resort and Spa. I am very proud of our staff and their genuine and caring attitude. I will be certain to share your kinds words with the team. It is always great to hear about fun and enjoyable family travels. Thank you for selecting the Meritage Resort.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is nice, but there are definitely some kinks to iron out. Stayed the weekend for my best friend's wedding (which was also at the resort).

Pros
Location was great for wedding-goers to. Easy drive in.
Rooms were nicely decorated. We stayed in a standard room. Spent time in the Chairman Suite, which was gorgeous.
Gazebo was lovely for the ceremony.
Staff was really friendly.
Beds were comfy.
Complimentary water bottles and bottle of wine for the room (we were told it was part of the $20 resort fee)
Free internet

Cons
Poor phone service. This did make things a little difficult for wedding coordination.

Parts of the hotel were a little dirty. My room happened to be near hotel services and the carpet did not look well maintained. The area my room was located did not have the same nice feel as the hotel throughout.

Reception took place in the cave. I get it's a cave, but it was a little drippy.

The food was ok at the reception. Lots of bones in the fish dish. The meat dish was better.

Most hotels I've stayed have a standard door that secures pretty well. Something was wrong with my door and it didn't close very well. We almost slept with the door open. Housekeeping knocked and we were alerted that something was wrong with it. The door to the bridal suite did not have have this issue.

Spent a lot of time in the bridal suite. The hot water did not work the day of the wedding. The bride had to go to my room to use my shower because it was taking too long to get it fixed.

Don't stay on the first floor. Some drunk people caused ruckus outside my window around 2am.

Another bridesmaid called guest services and requested steaming services, specifically asking if someone would perform steaming of the veil. Guest services said they could do it. They girl dropped off a steamer and we ended up doing it ourselves. Called back the front desk and they said it was a no go

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie G
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Natalie G,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Please accept my apology for the challenges you experienced. I will be certain to share your feedback with the team to insure that everything is addressed. We host many weddings every year and we always want to exceed the expectations of every guest.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The staff at this hotel goes out of its way to accommodate it's guest. I was truly impressed when the housekeeping staff found something I left in my room and turned it in to the lost and found.
The honesty and sincerity of the staff were truly impressive.

Dear Marcy Mazo L.

Thank you for your kinds words about the staff at the Meritage Resort and Spa. We are blessed to have a wonderful housekeeping staff. I hope your business travels will bring you back to Napa soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was there for a business function, and was impressed with all the resort had to offer. In the future when planning a trip to Napa I know where I will book my next stay. The resort has a great night life atmosphere, whether we wanted to relax or even go bowling.

Dear Tom H.

Thank you for sharing your comments and compliments about the Meritage Resort and Spa. It was great to hear that you were able to enjoy the hotel and experience the Crush Lounge! I really hope you will consider returning to visit when it is for pleasure and not business. Our resort and Napa have so much to offer the leisure traveler.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights here in July 2013.

Great hotel. Service was amazing. Nothing was too much to ask for. The facilities were really nice, in the middle of a vineyard, there are great views while sitting at the pool. We stayed in the new building and the rooms were really nice, however I got a sneak peak of the older rooms and they definitely arent as good, so if you are going make sure you are on the new side.

There is a shuttle bus going in to Napa which is great because it means you get the best of both - nice relaxing hotel in a vineyard but the ability to go out for food in Napa without the expense of a taxi (although would be good if the shuttle ran a bit later).

I would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ashman00
GuestRelations M, Director of Sales at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear ashman00- Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts from your stay. Your feedback is extremely valuable not only to us, but other travelers as well. I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon!