“Great place....worst time share sales pitch ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vino Bello Resort

Vino Bello Resort
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Kitchener, Canada
“Great place....worst time share sales pitch ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

First off, I am a long time Shell Vacation Club owner, so I am used to the sales pitch you get! Luckily we did the sales pitch early, so we were able to get over the horrible, I mean, horrible time we spent in the sales center. First off, they are so desperate to get you to do the time share pitch they hound you to do it....now that Wyndham has taken over Shell I was curious to hear what was new in the works for Shell Club, but really nothing was described about how it was different except that our points were not that good according to him and we needed to buy more to be able to participate fully..we had to keep from laughing our heads off at some of the things that were said, such as there are 37000 (I am not making this up!) people selling Shell Club timeshares etc etc and no matter what you say they just keep at you, until the final moment then you get to see the back of the salesperson as they finally give up on you...it did get us $100 in gift certificates to use at various wineries plus a coupon booklet that got you some free tastings, even though the first one that we used it at in Sonoma they were puzzled by it as their tastings were complimentary anyway! So unless you have nerves of steel and can put up with the crap, you have to decide if the torture is worth the $100 gift certificates and some free wine tastings, my wife said never again, and we have been through these at different time shares over the years!
The Vino Bello was great, nice grounds, nice big room, well equipped, comfortable, but yes thin walls, you could hear the guy snoring above or besides us, we could only imagine what his wife had to put up with! It is convenient to Napa, Sonoma, and really all wine country and San Fran if you are so inclined. Many complain about the parking, it was only an issue on the weekend, when there are weddings etc going on at the Meritage and it is really not a problem to park on the quiet street, and if you really need to you can find a spot with some effort. Pools looked great too! As to food, when we arrived my wife was feeling quiet ill and could not face going out after a long flight and a long drive through bad traffic from San Fransico. So we ordered from room service....long story short..it was great..came fast...the fellow who brought it was so pleasant and thorough, and it tasted great! Not cheap but it worked out well for us.
So a great place to stay but avoid the torture and I mean torture of the time share sales pitch!

Room Tip: HIgher up you get less noise from above....and there is an elevator....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doug M
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Doug M,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your overall stay, but truly apologize that the presentation wasn't for you. I have addressed your experience with appropriate management, who in turn, will address it with their staff. I am sorry your wife wasn't feeling well but it's always pleasant to hear that Room Service was perfect. I will make sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the team.

Again, Doug M., thank you for your feedback and we will look forward to our return visits.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Amenities were great, wine tasting on-site and free bottle of wine in room. A bit of a drive from most other wineries. Very helpful staff. Extra charge for house keeping everyday. Well equipped kitchen, it was nice to have somewhere to cook and store food.

• Stayed April 2014
TravelerHeather,

I am elated to hear you enjoyed your stay on property and thank you for sharing your experience. We hold ourselves to the highest of standards and it's great to hear when we do things right. I will make sure I share your comments with the team. Thank you again, and we will look forward to your return.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

having a wonderful time in Napa. Eight of our family from grandparents to grandkids staying here in two-two bedroom units -- a two bedroom unit consists of joining a studio and one bedroom.

We made our one-bedroom unit with full kitchen the "hang-out" for food, drink, etc. Anyone who wanted group time could come and stay in our livingroom/kitchen.

The main pool was full of kids, but we could get away by going to the "adult" pool by the registration area -- no splashing! no noise!

My college age son and friends made use of the bar/bowling alley last night and they have plans to go to Lake Berryessa for fishing today.

The rest of us will be doing the wine/Silverado trail and going to the wineries that have interests for non-drinkers -- Castillo d'Amerello (a relocated castle from Italy with torture chambers and all); Sterling's gondola; Vittui's deli --- yumm!

Also looking forward to the towns Yountville, St. Helena, Calistoga.

Room Tip: If you have young kids, get a room facing the pool. If you want quiet get a room NOT facing the poo...
1 Thank ANR26
ANR26,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. That is so special you were able to spend your vacation with multiple generations and I am happy our Resort and The Napa Valley had attractions that appealed to all age groups. I truly thank you for staying with us, and look forward to your return for yet another memorable experience.

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I am considered an owner since I am a member of the Shell Vacation Club, but this was my first visit to Vino Bello. I was very impressed with the quality of the two bedroom unit we had and felt that it compared very favorably with those I've visited in Hawaii. We were made to feel very welcomed and comfortable, and the staff seemed eager to perform over and above what I would expect. For example, my key stopped working shortly after our arrival, so I went to the front desk, I was told that I could have called and a new key would have been delivered to my door. (We did have an instance where the concierge did come to our door with the delivery). We were given a lovely unit which was well furnished and extremely comfortable, with beautiful flowers and grapevines just outside our patio door. My favorite thing was the shower and the one thing I could criticize was that the rooms didn't get much natural light, and they were somewhat dark. Otherwise, top marks all around.

Room Tip: The Merlot Building is the newest building and farthest from the lobby, and it is probably the most...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OlyCat
Olycat,

I would first like to thank you for being a Shell Vacations Owner and choosing the Vino Bello Resort as your Napa Destination. I am happy to hear the staff was eager to help and offered services above and beyond your expectations. Thank you for your positive feedback and we will hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Best Regards,

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

When we arrived the check in was quick and the staff were friendly. We got to our room which was on the bottom floor. The "balcony" had a huge bush in front of it. We were disappointed with the room size and our room was by the entrance door so every time someone walked in you could hear the door slam shut. We requested a different room and the front desk wasn't very accommodating. She was just like oh well sorry, and that was it. We traveled 1300 miles to come to is resort so I pressed the subject of wanting a new room. They found a room on the 3rd floor and we were happy...until we came back to our room from being out all day and our room wasn't turned over. So my mom called the front desk and asked why our room wasn't turned over. The lady in front desk said there was cleaning fee.....$400 dollars a room you think that would be included...the front desk was very rude to my mother and hung up on her! So I called the front desk back to ask what was this cleaning fee was and to talk to a manager. Dean, the manager, apologized and paid the cleaning fees.
We were wanting to get facials and we called the spa several times to make reservations and no body called us back. The same thing happened when we wanted to reserve a sitting area in the pool.
Overall the resort is beautiful....BUT the service is the worst. Motel 6 service would be better! When you're paying 400 + a night there are certain expectations that come when paying that kind of money. We were VERY disappointed! We still have one more night here so we will see how the rest of our stay goes.

5 Thank sharla b
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Sharla B.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I truly apologize for the service issues you experienced and I am addressing all of your concerns appropriately. I completely understand your frustrations with your room location after such long travels and the initial response you received is unacceptable. I am happy to hear we were able to find you a suitable location for the remainder of your stay. You should have definitely been informed of the cleaning fees upon arrival, and I am happy Dean made that right once you brought it to our attention. I would truly appreciate it if you would contact me directly so we can discuss your experience further.

Again, Sharla B., I thank you for your feedback and will look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Chico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a room at this hotel because a previous hotel that we rented was unacceptable. Vino Bello is a beautiful property with magnificent rooms. They charge a $20 resort fee that includes a bottle of wine, bottled water, and high speed Internet. They have several nice quality restaurants, several swimming pools and hot tubs, a spa, and a well-equipped gym.
Our room was a one bedroom suite with fully stocked kitchen, marble-topped cabinets, large bathroom with luxurious shower and whirlpool bath, two flat screen TVs with three Showtime channels, large sofa, and a fireplace. Each room had a large deck with chairs, tables, and lounges.

We liked it so much that we booked an extra night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Discusdoc
MeritageResort1, Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Discusdoc,

Thank you for choosing The Vino Bello Resort as your destination in the Napa Valley. I am elated to hear you enjoyed your stay and accomodations. We hold ourselves to the highest of standards here at the Vino Bello and your positive review validates all of our hard work.

Again, Discusdoc, thank you for staying with us and we’ll look forward to your return to The Vino Bello Resort in the near future.

Mill Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is well below expectations. The presentation online is completely different. Everything is outdated and worn. The beds/mattress are super soft. They also said on multiple phone calls to them that the two rooms didn't have doors between them that was a HUGE LIE. This is a big deal if you are traveling with elderly, disabled or children which I AM. Could have got the same price at Westin - SO DISAPPOINTED! I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL! They also said that there would be black tea in the room but there was not.

3 Thank Molly S
Molly,

I would first like to thank you for choosing the Vino Bello resort when staying in the Napa Valley. What you experienced is very concerning to me and the misinformation you received is completely unacceptable. All of our two bedroom units do have foyers with connecting doors and this should have been appropriately communicated to you. Our mattresses have all been recently replaced and we maintain our guest rooms with excellence to keep them in perfect shape.

I am truly sorry for compromising your stay with us and would greatly appreciate you contacting me so I can get more information to address the issues you experienced. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can get this resolved.

Again, Molly, I truly apologize for compromising your experience and look forward to hearing from you soon.

eharrelson@themeritageresort.com