“Great with one or two caveats”
Review of Vino Bello Resort

Vino Bello Resort
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

At first, the location of this resort appears underwhelming, being inside a corporate office park. However, once you get to the resort itself, your fears will be somewhat allayed. It is a large complex of many buildings. The main building is the Meritage Resort & Spa, and the other buildings are a part of the Vino Bello Resort, which is a vacation time-share that is now also used as a hotel. As other reviewers have mentioned, the concierge will attempt to talk you into signing up for a sales pitch for the time-share company. Based on what other reviewers said, it sounds like we were lucky that we just said no thanks and were left alone.

I really only have two complaints about my stay here. The first one is that if you want your bed made, sheets changed, and/or any other standard hotel housekeeping services, you must pay an additional $25 per day fee. In fairness, the Vino Bello website does say "Daily housekeeping is not included and may be added for a nominal fee." For starters, I have never in my life stayed in a hotel where housekeeping was an extra fee. I have stayed in hotels ranging from two to five stars, and housekeeping is ALWAYS included. The quality of housekeeping may vary from hotel to hotel, but they've never sold it as an add-on anywhere else. Second, given that you must pay an additional $20 per day resort fee, it's amazing that housekeeping is still not included. One of the staff at the front desk explained to me that this housekeeping fee policy is for environmental reasons. Even if that were true, at least have the beds made and the trash emptied on a daily basis. That has nothing to do with the environment, but makes a huge impression on guests (returning to a room with a neatly-made bed versus a room that hasn't been touched). If it's a financial issue, then just raise the room rates by a few bucks and include the housekeeping fee in that.

I can't overstate how much this housekeeping fee feels like nickel-and-diming the customer, which is not a good way to win customer loyalty. I strongly encourage hotel management to reconsider this policy, because it sends a bad impression to the customer.

A much more minor issue with our stay was that, even though we visited the concierge the day we arrived and received our welcome packet, we were woken up the following morning at 9 AM by a phone call from a different concierge asking if we had gotten our welcome packet. Apart from being too early in the morning to disturb guests, the fact that they didn't know we already got our welcome packet just added to the inconvenience (being woken up for a completely pointless reason). The cynical side of me couldn't help but wonder if that early-morning phone call was deliberate retribution for our declining the time-share sales pitch for that morning. I would hope not...

Those are the few caveats. The positives are that it is a wonderful resort with a lovely pool area. The ability to borrow DVD movies for free is terrific, and the popcorn is a nice touch. The front desk staff were very kind and helpful. The free shuttle to downtown Napa is very nice and convenient and, at night, it becomes something of a party bus! There were blue dance lights on in the shuttle and a Bon Jovi concert playing on the TV in the shuttle. It felt a bit like college again (in a good way).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank ThetaSigma99
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

ThetaSigma99,

I would first like to thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Vino Bello Resort. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay, and do apologize for the caveats you experienced. We do in fact offer trash service, amenity replenishment, and bed making on a daily basis. We are environmentally conscious therefore we don't wash bedding, nor use chemical in the rooms on a daily basis without charge. I apologize this wasn't communicated to you properly, and hope it doesn't stop you from returning. Regarding the early morning call, I will follow up with our Concierge team to ensure no future guest encounters the same issue.

Again, ThetaSigma99, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to your return visit. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when you decide to return as I will make sure your stay is exceptional.

There are newer reviews for Vino Bello Resort

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed at this resort last year with my husband. The one bedroom condo was beautiful, and it had everything we needed for our one week stay in Napa. Nice touch leaving the bottle of white in the refrigerator. RESTAURANTS GREAT, wineries where fabulous. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Never been to Napa area before and I will be sure to come back.From check in to check out the staff where great!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room! Much quieter and you may have a view of their vineyard!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindavoner
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2014

Lindavoner,

Thank you for your kind comments as I am elated everything from the service to the restaurant exceeded your expectations. We hold ourselves to the highest of standards at The Vino Bello Resort and your feedback validates all of your hard work. I as well hope you make it to the Napa Valley for another memorable weekend.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our stay was a gift, so I cannot comment on the cost. Upon check-in, the phone rang, and we were invited to a time share sales presentation and breakfast, plus a $25 Amex gift card, logo wine glasses and chocolates. I said that we would think about it. When we returned to our room that evening, we had a voicemail from the time share lady, asking for a call back. The next day the phone rang repeatedly, morning and afternoon, while we were in the room. I finally picked it up, and sure enough, it was the time share lady. The ante had been upped, as now the Amex gift card was for $100. I declined, and she still encouraged us to stop by the concierge desk for our complimentary glasses and chocolates. We never did, as we suspected that another sales pitch would ensue. The pressure felt uncomfortable, and aligned with the recent Comcast customer service debacle ("no means no!").

The rooms are not serviced unless you choose to pay a $20 daily fee. I found this very strange, given the cache of this resort. Even the most humble of hotels do this for free.

We enjoyed the bowling alley, but the fee is astronomical: $20/person/hour. This is too bad, because we are from the area and like to bowl, but not at these prices!

On the plus side, we had a third floor room, with a vineyard and pool view, and it was quiet and peaceful. The bed was fantastic, and the linens and towels were of very good quality. The wine and the bottled water in the room were complimentary.

Room Tip: Choose a third floor room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gloria M

Gloria M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your very valuable feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room as it was peaceful, quiet, and had luxury bedding and linen. I am however truly sorry about the service you received from concierge, and I am following up with appropriate management who in turn, will address it appropriately. I do hope this doesn't stop you from returning and would love the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me when you have the opportunity so I can make this right.

Again, Gloria M, I apologize for compromising your experience, and hope to hear from you soon.

707-251-1909

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We got an insane rate for a week here with no time share pitch. It's located in an odd place, right inside a business/light industrial park. On the edge of Napa it's actually perfectly situated for touring wine country. Our room was loaded. Washer, dryer, wine, everything. The pool and grilling area, the spa. I felt like a king. The staff was friendly and very helpful. At the end of the day of wine tasting this was the perfect retreat. Neighborhood was quite, people were friendly. What a treat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pkbites
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

pkbites,

I am elated to hear you enjoyed your entire stay and you felt like royalty during your visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so others can come and enjoy the resort as you did. I hope you have the opportunity to return again soon and look forward to your visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and two of our adult children spent 4 nights at the Vino Bello Resort. Our accommodations couldn't have been better. We had a one bedroom suite with a studio that was attached by a private hallway. Everyone had the space they needed. The resort has its own winery and there was a welcome bottle of wine in each room when we arrived. The wine given was the same as the building we stayed in which happened to be "Cabernet." Since we preferred Chardonnay to drink the staff could not have been nicer about swapping these bottles of wine. The concierge, Ellen, was incredibly helpful. She gave great instructions about exploring the area and recommended a wine tasting tour that was suited to our family. The resort has several pools and a sports bar with some bowling lanes. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. In addition, the resort has a spa which we originally planned to use but we were very relaxed after our wine tasting tour.

We are planning to return. This was a great resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Marcia33

Marcia33,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us in the beautiful Napa Valley. I am happy to hear you and your children enjoyed everything about the property. When you return, feel free to request the chardonnay prior to arrival and we will have it in your room, ready to enjoy. I would also like to thank you for you kind comments regarding Ellen's service. I will make sure she is recognized and rewarded for a job well done.

Again, Marcia33, thank you for staying with us and we'll look forward to your return in the near future.

Very Gratefully,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a great one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and large bathroom. It was a good base from which to tour the Napa Valley. We stayed for several days and had a very nice time. The only reason they didn't get a higher rating was that exterior maintenance was lacking. The 2 barbecues were both on their "last legs" and didn't work well, and the in ground jacuzzi had jets that were pretty gutless and tile was missing from the inside. Little things like that can degrade the quality of the accommodation. All in all though, the staff were attentive and we had a good time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area for a nice patio view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol S
MeritageResort1, Guest Relations Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Carol S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us the feedback of your stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay, and that the staff was accommodating. I do apologize for the condition of the barbeques as we have since had them replaced and the tiles in the hot tub have been fixed as well.

Again, Carol S, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Vino Bello is attached to Meritage Hotel - they are really one big resort with a lower and upper scale area (Vino Bello being the lower-end area). The pool area is nice but not huge. There is a shuttle that runs to/from downtown Napa, so that is very convenient. Our room had a small kitchen that would be helpful for a longer stay.

The only negative is that the bed was awful. I felt like I was trying to sleep on a slack trampoline.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bobcharli

Bobcharli,

Thank you for stay with us during your trip to the Napa Valley. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and accommodations. I truly apologize for the comfort ability of your bed as that's completely unacceptable and we hold ourselves to much higher standards than that. I'm following up with appropriate management to ensure the proper steps are taken to prevent this from happening in the future.

Again, Bobcharli, thank you for your feedback and we'll look forward to your return.