All reviewsother guestswine tastingdowntown napagreat hostswithin walking distanceb bscrackersevery eveningeach morningfresh fruitopened the doorspent nightsfirst morningwinerieschurchillmansionwinery
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I usually prefer a larger hotel to a B&B because sometimes at a B&B I feel like my husband and I don't have enough privacy. Cedar Gables Inn has converted me to a B&B fan, if only a huge fan of this place!

We arrived after check-in hours (3-6 I believe) around 7:45pm but Ken was still kind enough to give us a complete tour of the property including the breakfast room, bar/sitting area, and outdoor space. While the daily rate is not cheap, they also don't nickel and dime you by charging for every small thing. There is a refrigerator full of beverages (including bottled water which is a must in sunny Napa when doing wine tasting) and there are fresh cookies out at all times (hard to resist!). Ken showed us to our room, Kathleen's chamber. The room had a sitting area and after you went down a few steps, there was a good sized bedroom with a queen bed and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub/shower. The sitting area was good to have since the bedroom itself didn't have a ton of room to change in. I didn't even notice there was no TV in the room until my husband pointed it out as we were checking out. Who needs a TV when you're having so much fun? The room was incredibly private and I didn't hear a peep from the other guests.

We were able to walk to two fabulous dinners directly from the Inn and I also took a long run from the property through the beautiful countryside of rolling hills and vineyards.

The best part about staying here was the evening cocktail hour (with music by Ken!) and breakfasts. One morning my husband and I stayed well after breakfast had been served to chat with two other couples. Breakfast was AMAZING! Wow. Wish I could go back just for that.

The cost of this inn is a little higher than I usually like to spend but all the added bonuses make it worth every penny. I can't wait to go back, and I hope when I do I will have enough time to take one of the cooking classes!

Room Tip: Kathleen's Chamber is great for a couple who isn't going to spend a ton of time in the room but also would enjoy a little separate sitting area and large jacuzzi tub.
1  Thank becknuts
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This bed and breakfast was delightful. The inn itself is lovingly restored, the bed and linens were very comfortable and the breakfasts were amazing and huge!! Ken and Susie went out of their way to make us feel welcome from their greeting to bringing us a cheese plate to enjoy when we opened a bottle of wine on the deck. The wine reception was enjoyable each night as well. It's always fun to meet other like-minded travellers.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed for a long weekend, it was our first vist to Napa. We could not have been happier with our stay. Big beautiful old inn with delightful inn keepers. Breakfast each morning was a delight as well as a huge serving that fuel you for a day of wine tasting. A very light lunch is all tou will hve room for. The rooms are very nice an well appointed. Fresh baked cookies are waiting for you when you return from a day of activities. With complementary wine and cheese to follow. Inn keepers are full of tip and advice an are there for everything you need and then some. After our first night they upgraded our room as they has it vacant for the rest of our stay. My only complainant would be the inn is not located in the most picturesque neighborhood. But everything else is top notch.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I arrived earlier than check-in time (as we sometimes do) and Ken, the owner, checked us in and gave us a map of wineries nearby and even called in a dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant of our choice. This historic inn is very extravagantly furnished with Victorian furniture, but is also made very comfortable and cozy by its owners, Ken and Susie. They make you feel like you are almost family. You are given copious amounts of ideas, coupons, and directions to various choice wineries. Caution if you are dieting, (who is dieting on vacation?) as the breakfasts are so very large, gourmand, and delicious! You will leave feeling extremely full and probably will not need to eat too much else until dinner (this is good because of the wine tasting all afternoon. . . )

Unfortunately there are stairs (as in nearly every B & B) so be aware that you will have to schlep your suitcases up narrow hallways. One very minor complaint: the bathroom was a bit on the tiny side and I am a tiny person, so what would a large person think? So perhaps ask for a bigger bathroom if you are in need for that extra foot of space.

My husband and I enjoyed our stay so much we didn't want to leave. What a bummer to go to our next hotel destination, which was about a two-star after this outstanding gem. Thanks, Ken and Susie, hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: Get one nearer the ground level. Ask for one with a bigger bathroom.
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Napa Valley. One of the things that made our time so enjoyable was the terrific stay we had at Ken and Susie's Cedar Gables Inn. It had everything we could have wanted and more! Ken and Susie are delightful hosts - always willing to offer advice on where to dine, which wineries to visit, what to do, etc. Susie's cookies are waiting to welcome you into their home. The fruit, crackers, cheese and wine served nightly are an added bonus. Port and chocolates are also included in your room - which was a pleasant surprise. Susie's breakfasts are absolutely delicious and include fresh fruit and juice, coffee, tea or lattes. We were fortunate enough to be there to enjoy her stuffed french toast with homemade scones and bacon one morning and an omelet croissant with muffins and sausages the following day. Parking is never a problem and they are within walking distance of the downtown area including the river walk. Ken and Susie made us feel like family and we wished we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gables Suite - a lovely room with all the amenities we could have asked for. However, it is on the 4th floor and the only way up or down is via the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple