“Beautiful B&B convenient to Napa town”
Review of Cedar Gables Inn

Cedar Gables Inn
Ranked #15 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Norfolk, VA
“Beautiful B&B convenient to Napa town”
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This cute B&B in Napa town was wonderful from the moment we walked in until we departed. The owners were wonderful and invited us to arrive early so they could provide us with tasting vouchers and their personnel recomendations (which were 2 of our 3 favorite vineyards!). They also helped us get reservations at an amazin restaurant just a few blocks away, Celadon (*highly* recommended). After a day filled with wine tasting, we came home and the owners had a lovely wine and cheese in the tavern of the B&B. In the morning the breakfast was an excellent 3 course meal including fresh fruit, fresh baked cinnamon rolls and an egg casserole. Delicious!

The room itself was beautiful and very large. Our room had a 2-person jacuzzi tub, a queen bed, and a sitting area in front of a fireplace. The only complaint was that while we had a fan, it got quite warm in the room itself and the windows did not open easily. Overall it was an excellent visit though and I would recommend to any wanting to visit Napa town.

• Liked — The location and the food!
  • Disliked — Room temperature a bit warm with no way to cool it
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 August 2008

My husband and I just came back from Cedar Gables last night. We had been referred by another couple that stayed there. When we first arrived, the owners Ken & Susie greeted us and gave us a tour of the B & B. It was just beautiful. Our rooms were spotless.

Every morning we were served breakfast at 9 am and I can tell you Susie is one of the best gourmet cooks I have ever come across, her breakfasts are out of this world made fresh every morning...even homemade donuts and apple fritters. Yesterday we had an early flight so we were leaving before the regular breakfast time and they got up early to make our party of six's breakfast because we were leaving early. As my husband said, "You'd get a cavity if Ken an Susie were any sweeter"

In the evening they host all of their guests to happy hour (for 2 hours) where they supply wine and hors d'oeuvres to all the guests. They sit down with everyone and talk about everyones day. They have a book of menus from practically every restarant around northern California so you can see what they have on the menu.

It was our first trip to the Napa Valley and we decided to make it an annual trip to Napa and without a doubt we will be staying at Cedar Gables.

• Liked — The owners, they made you feel like family, not guests & Susie's cooking was insanely good!
  • Disliked — Nothing
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I surprised my husband with a trip to the Napa Valley for his 30th birthday and stayed at the Cedar Gables Inn. What an excellent choice!! Ken and Susie are amazing with their knowledge of Napa and their hospitality was priceless. My husband and I like to stay in B&B's for the experience that no hotel could ever give you. Every morning we would go down and have breakfast at 9 a.m. and each day our breakfast would start with fresh fruit, coffee, and o.j. and there was always something sweet and homemade whether it was Susie's homemade donut holes, apple fritters or cinnamon buns. Then would come the main breakfast course which was always delicious. I think my favorite was the southwestern souffle with eggs, tortillas, and sausage. YUM!!! After breakfast Ken would come by and make sure everyone had a plan for the day and if you didn't he would sit down with you with a map of the Napa Valley and tell you the best places to go. They also had tasting coupons galore. We stayed in the Avon Loft one of the smallest rooms because we were on a budget even though it was the smallest room the bed was so cozy and soft and we had a shower and bathroom en suite. You really don't need a huge room as we were hardly ever there. It was always cleaned and the bed was always made while we were at breakfast. We would leave for breakfast with a messy room and come back to a clean room-it was great!! Oh, and the best part is that you get complimentary decanter of port in your room for a night cap and no extra charge!!! We took full advantage of the port-I'm not a huge port fan but this was delicious and smooth Croft Port. They even have it for sale if you want to buy it there. We bought a bottle to take home and was signed by the vineyard. Before we got there even, they were so nice to me over email and sent me a list of winerys with web addresses so I could make reservations before the trip. I didn't get the romance package for my husband as I thought it was a little "girly" but I did ask Ken to place a nice bottle of wine in the room for us upon arrival. I gave him a price range and he picked it and my husband loved it!! It was a bottle Darioush signed by the vineyard. We will def. go back there again when we return to Napa. They helped make my husbands surprise 30th birthday trip one we will never ever forget. Thanks Ken and Susie!!

• Liked — The breakfast, location and owners
  • Disliked — There was some noise on the street
palm beach
Reviewed 11 August 2008

What a find! John and I stayed at Cedar Gables for two nights after reading all of the reviews. We were so spoiled by the experiance that all of the other B&B's were a dissapointment for the rest of the trip. Staying with Ken and Susie is like staying with good friends. Breakfast was out of this world- and the afternnoon wine and cheese get together was a great way to meet new people and share experiances. Ken and Susie had a lot of wonderful ideas for our first trip to Napa. Thier attention to small details and genuine helpfulness really made our trip extra special. We're now planning on making this a yearly vacation and would never stay anywhere else!

• Liked — Everything, Ken and Susie, the food, the port in the room
  • Disliked — We had to leave
Houston, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. We had booked Lady Margaret's room, which was very spacious and beautiful, but from the moment we got there Susie told us they had decided to give us an upgrade to the Master Bedroom the Churchill Bedroom. Wow it was amazing! The furniture is gorgeous and the bathroom is huge! We used the tub once and loved it!

I can't say anything but great things about our stay at this B&B. I had never stayed in a B&B before. I am more of a resort/hotel type of person so I was surprised that there is only 1 TV in the entire house...hehehe no biggie since the entertainment from the owners was more than enough! we were also very tired from all the winery tours so we crashed pretty early. Overall this experience was wonderful!

The breakfast was incredible too! We had a 3 course breakfast, the first day we had scones, fruit salad, and a berry souffle. The next day we had berry parfait and an egg "lasagna", with layers of egg, tortillas, and sausage with homemade salsa. Just delicious!

One night they had free wine tasting from a local winery which was a lot of fun! we missed the next night since we were out in downtown having dinner.

It is very accesible from the highway, and walking distance to restaurants in downtown Napa. Very quiet too.

So quit reading reviews, and go book your stay at this B&B!! :o)

• Liked — Location, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cherrypie025
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2008

The Cedar Gables Inn was a wonderful B&B to stay at while vacationing in Napa Valley. We found the inn easily just blocks away from downtown Napa, and were greeted by our Innkeepers Ken and Susie immediately as we rang the front door bell. In addition to a warm welcome, chocolate chip cookies were at the ready, as was Ken's brief tour of the Inn. What a historic, delightful inn, with a large lounge for wine tasting and hors d'ovres at 5:30 PM, and a lovely dining room for breakfast. The room that we stayed in, the Edwards Study, was great for two people.

It was an easy walk into town for dinner, and Ken and Susie were great at making excellent recommendations for dinner. Our favorite was Coles Chop House, and the Wine Train dinner.

You will probably not need dinner, because Susie's breakfasts are so wonderful and quite filling!! Favorites included freshly baked donut holes and Taco sausage egg caserole, and fruit cups. The coffee was excellent and plentiful.

This was a very nice place to stay, in close proximity to many wonderful wineries that the inn keepers were able to guide us to.

A great find!

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank 1lacrosse
London
Reviewed 26 June 2008

This place is fantastic. Ken and Susie are wonderful hosts. Breakfasts are huge and amazing (I think Susie should make the apple frittas every day!) and they give you great advice on where to go (no need to buy a guidebook). My favourite thing about the B&B is the cheese and wine evenings- a selection of great wines in a fantastic room and you meet so many people and can share experiences. The room was luxurious and we were very kindly upgraded as it was my birthday. The location is good and walking distance for eating and drinking. We went to some great wineries but an outstanding one we'd recommend for stunning location and views was Artessa. Best of luck to Ken and Susie- I can't believe that there are better places to stay in Napa Valley!

• Liked — The apple frittas, great hospitality and opportunity to meet people & share experiences
  • Disliked — Nothing