“Very impressed”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very impressed”
Reviewed 20 April 2007

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on April 5 for one night and it was $128 a night.

We were visiting Napa and then on our way to San Francisco. We arrived around midnight.

The lobby was very pretty and grand looking. It was a large room with
a fireplace and lots of chairs, internet access, a kiosk to print out
airplane tickets, water and coffee and the front desk. Checking in was a breeze. The front desk person was very nice. The lobby is indoors but the hallways to the rooms are outdoors. They have a cover
so you wouldn't get rained on. I have kind of made it a rule not to stay anywhere with outside hallways because in my experience, they are usually skanky and shady places but I took a chance because this place looked nice and was a GREAT price to stay in Napa.

We took the elevator to the 2nd floor and it was confusing signage to find our room. The room was awesome. It was beautiful and very big. There was a living room and bar when you walked in. It was very homey. A couch, a tv, chairs, a kitchen table, a coffee table, and the bar with stools. There are lots of books about the local wineries, how much tastings are, restaurants, things to do, etc. The bathroom was also very nice (the usual marble with the shower and curved shower curtain for more room). The doors were weird though. It
was two little skinny doors that closed together (but opened separately) and one was on a hinge so the doors couldn't stay open. They automatically closed. No big deal, just weird and annoying.

The bedroom had a sink and mirror (convenient to get make up on when someone is in the bathroom). There was a king bed and a TV and end tables. The bed was VERY comfortable and there were sound machine alarm clocks that could wake you up by your MP3 player or sounds (like the ocean, the rain, etc) or the alarm noise or radio. I believe the bedroom was facing the highway ramp but I didn't not hear anything from the highway at all. The room was very quiet. I did not hear anyone that night or the next day.

The living room faced the courtyard which was really pretty. There was an outdoor pool, a pond with swans and tables and chairs, a gazebo and a little mill. The next morning we went to the free deluxe
hot breakfast that was included. I was so impressed. It was in a nice
restaurant part and there was lots of drinks (juices, coffee, milk, water, etc), cold food (cereal, fruit, danishes, bagels, bread, etc),
a omelet making station (lots of options, made to order, bacon, sausage, potatoes), pancakes, waffles. Maybe more but I didn't notice. The omelet was very good. The potatoes weren't that great but they were free so who cares? It was a very good breakfast for free. It was a good breakfast for money. It was the same thing you would get at any breakfast restaurant. I don't think you could go back for more omelets, bacon or sausage (though they probably wouldn't care) but the rest of the food was like a buffet. There was also an indoor pool and spa that looked nice.

The free internet in the lobby was available when we arrived at midnight but checking out on a Friday morning around 11, there was basically a line for it. One guy would NOT get off even though people were waiting. I also heard the airline ticket kiosk thing was not working.

Checkout was also easy. You can check out from your room or at the front desk and there weren't any people at the desk waiting. The front desk people were very polite giving us winery maps and two
"buy one, get one free" tasting coupons at two wineries. Ask for those. Napa charges at almost every winery for tastings and it is between $5 and $30 (except fancy special reserve tastings). Most places were $10 for a 4 tastings.

The hotel was in a good location. Right in downtown Napa and there are wineries everywhere though the bigger ones are probably 15 minutes away.

TIP: GO TO THE NAPA VISITORS CENTER. There was a man there selling resort condos who gave us a tasting card for free tastings at like 10 wineries. He didn't even force a sales pitch. He asked how long we'd be there and if we had time to look at the condos, we'd get a $100 restaurant gift card for Napa OR San Fran. It actually seemed reasonable but we said we would only be there until 5 PM and that was it. No pressure at all from him. He was very nice. Plus, we got maps and recommendations for wineries and places to eat. It was well worth it.

Napa is not as nice as Sonoma in my opinion. Much more built up (even
in the wineries section). Not as much individual service at the tastings. Sonoma had all free tastings pretty much except reserve wines and most places gave us those for free too. They were a little friendlier in Sonoma. Sonoma was also much prettier and picturesque like you'd picture in the movies or on a postcard. Now, Napa was very nice but I'd head to Sonoma if you have the time.

I am saying Napa but I mean Napa Valley (St Helena, Rutherford, etc). They are all next to each other. One place we did not like was V. Sattui Winery. They are one of the only free tasting places and it shows. It was SO crowded that they wouldn't even serve us. They have specific sections to be served (certain parts of the bar, they literally just ignore you. Literally. There were lots of angry people
trying to talk to someone). When they do serve you, they are rushed and rude, they don't give you any time. There is barely room to move.
On the bright side, they have good wine and they have a deli/market section with GREAT food. That is part of the reason they are so popular. The food is so good and there are tables to eat at outside. Go for the food, go elsewhere for tastings. In summation, the hotel was great. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The room was very large and comfortable and the free hot breakfast was way above average for a free breakfast
  • Disliked — Only one computer for free internet use (which is already a perk so hard to complain)
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daisy47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakland
Reviewed 16 March 2007

Good Evening,

I would like to start this review with my first impression. The entrance is very nice rustic napa. The staff is friendly but not much beyond that. The grounds are pretty. The ponds with the swans, ducks and turtles was fantastic. The rooms are the same size whether you get the standard or the executive. The hotel is right next to the freeway so if you want a standard queen room they are all facing the freeway. Twins and executive rooms are on the other side of the property. If you don't like freeway noice i suggest you either upgrade or ask for a twin room away from the freeway. The rooms are kind of odd shaped, but they ok. The pictures included are from the executive room. The managers receprion is nice, bu they use cheap booze and the food is just chips celery dip. It is free and free is good. Hint : They have Jim Beam. It is the only name brand alcohol they have. Again it's free and free is good :). The breakfast is nice. The trick is to get to breakfast early. I think it starts at 7:30am. It is made to order and the omlets are great. The staff lights the fireplaces in the morning so you can sit by a noce fire while eating breakfast. One problem i found is that the walls are kind of thin and you can hear people sometimes walking above you. This is very minor compared to the freeway. :). Overall I really enjoyed this hotel and will be staying here next time I am in Napa. I paid $135/ Night. I thought this was a fair price. I don't think it is worth $200 +, but $135 is perfect.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 3 March 2007

My husband is a Hilton Diamond Honors member, so we were very excited to stay at the Embassy Suites in Napa. From the moment we walked in, to the moment we left...we were very disappointed. Upon arrival, there was construction in the lobby. Sheets were thrown over chairs, scaffolding was everywhere. No apologies were made for this ever. We got to our room, and it reeked of mildew and mothballs. The stairwells leading up to the 2nd floor were no better. Our room, was dark and stuffy, and just left us with a greasy feeling. After a day out at wineries we made it down the manager's cocktail hour, that was from 5-6pm, and we probably got there around 5:15. There was no food left anywhere, and no one was refilling anything, the line for drinks was about 20-30 people deep. Such a disappointment. The next morning the "included" breakfast was no better. While the food was fine, you had to wait in line as if you were in a cattle call. I felt like I was in college again, when the cafeteria opened late on Sunday morning. For being a diamond member, we were hugely disappointed...this is a category 6 for hilton, and i would say it's more of a catogory 3. We were traveling with my husband's clients, and thank goodness they chose a better hotel over the River. We would have been embarrassed if they stayed at the same place.

• Liked — The location was ok
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chicagogirl77
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 February 2007

We visited Napa for 3 nights and 4 days, in celebration of my birthday. It is difficult to find a moderately priced & nice hotel in Napa, and the Embassy is all of that. The hotel is beautiful and perfect for Napa!

The complimentary breakfast is wonderful, I really want the recipe for the potatoes! They are great! The complimentary wine reception in the afternoons is also really nice.

We enjoyed a couples massage in our room one night, and it was the best massage I've ever had, and I get massages weekly at home.

We were in Napa during an unseasonably warm weekend and the A/C was broken. The hotel was very kind about this inconvenience and comped us 2 nights of our 3 night stay! We will certainly return to the hotel, the next time we visit Napa!

• Liked — Breakfast and wine; nice room and hotel; great service
1 Thank WorldTravelerCO
Northern California
Reviewed 20 February 2007

Normally when we stay at the Embassy in Napa - it's just ok. Nothing special - but we get enough room for the whole family, plus breakfast included - it's convenient!

This time - my husband & I were able to bok a "Romantic" package, which I'd never seen at this Embassy before. The room was exceptional! Canopy bed, romantic furnishings & decor, a roomy glass shower, A COFFEE GRINDER, LARGE COFFEE POT & BEANS!!!! This was so enjoyable! Plasma tv was favorable to the hubby. We'd book the same roon in a heartbeat! We were giddy w/our choice.

The water ponds w/the birds was relaxing. We lit the chiminea in the courtyard for extra heat while sipping our cocktails - - it couldn't be beat!

The bed was the best. HEAVENLY!

• Liked — The coffee grinder, large coffee pot & beans!
  • Disliked — The LONG line for a cocktail in the evenings - w/just 1 bartender it gets a bit frustrating!
1 Thank boxsters
modesto,ca
Reviewed 14 February 2007

I really expected much more from an Embassy Suites hotel. I don't usually complain much but there was just too many disappointments.
My husband and I drove over to Napa for the weekend to celebrate my 50th BD. I was surprised to drive up and find no overhang/awning to park under (it was pouring down rain). Also, there is no one to help with baggage or even a restroom in the lobby. After we checked in we were told to drive around to the back of the complex and find one of 3 entrances with awnings the get you into the building. There is absolutely no signage outside of the doors and it was difficult to find our room once we got inside (no signs with room numbers and arrows directing you). Once inside, the very dark room had a very strong mildew smell but after driving for 3 hours in the rain and struggling with luggage, finding the room, etc. I didn't have the energy to ask for and move to another room. The room was also warm and stuffy with no A/C to cool it off. We opened the window but then heard the very close highway noise.
When we checked in the front desk asked if I'd like a complimentary bottle of wine for my birthday and I had the choice of white or red. Ordered white and red was delivered.
The sheets and towels were the roughest and cheapest quality I've ever had in any hotel.
The hair dryer is placed in a fancy black bag with a tied rope around it which sits high on a stand on the bathroom counter. At least on Sunday (when I got nosy and looked in the bag) I got to dry my hair.
Saturday morning I received an in-room massage that my daughter had scheduled for me. She told me that she had pre-paid for it and that I should just pay the tip just in case it wasn't up to par. When we received our bill a charge ($90) for the massage had been added. I called the spa and the very nice lady said she'd call the front desk, take care of it and call me right back in which she did. I thought the $90 charge was odd since the massage therapist didn't have me sign anything for payment, meaning she already knew it was paid for.

The breakfast and the manager's get together in the early evening were good.

When we went to check out on the tv - I was going to fill out the survery but - "it wasn't in service".

At least we enjoyed a couple of restaurants I had researched on the web (Rutherford's Grill and The Bounty Hunter).

• Liked — The breakfast they serve.
  • Disliked — stuffy, warm, mildew smelling room and the rough sheets and towels.
1 Thank luvinlife50
nashville, tn
Reviewed 7 February 2007

This is a very convenient place to stay in Napa for a great value. The hotel is located just next to the highway 29 which allows you to jump on the wine trail with ease. The lobby is cozy and lovely, and the rooms are comfortable and clean. As with all Embassy Suites, it is quite nice to have a separate living room and bar area. The breakfast was fantastic, with fresh fruits and made-to-order omelets made by the friendly staff. The managers reception was fair, with minimal snacks and a lack of quality drinks. This is really insignificant considering the overall quality of the hotel. A highlight was the display of beautiful black and white swans in the pond!

Stayed January 2007