“We loved the hotel, location, and breakfast!”

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Our original room was lovely but it was over an area that would be noisy with a restaurant for part of the day. Our request for a change was handled quickly and graciously. The breakfast from Sweetie Pie's was delicious!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

996 - 1,002 of 1,357 reviews

Reviewed 2 September 2011

What a huge disappointment! The Napa River Inn Website promised "Luxury... a decadent urban hotel with high style and warmth... World class food... a delightful unique experience." I have a secret for you. Don't waste your money here! Nothing could be farther from the truth. The design of our room was a mess. The A/C unit was positioned 17" from the head of the bed, good luck sleeping in those conditions! In order to use the bathroom, you had to open doors that prevented your spouse from using the sink. The pillows were flat and I suspect purchased on low bid with no regard to quality. The window blinds required multiple efforts just to raise and lower them, one was broken.

Lets talk food. They had a nice little bakery that served 4-5 choices for breakfast. The quality of the food was at best very average. My problem was having to ask the staff three days in a row to clear a table so we could sit. I would then have to ask that they also wipe off the table.

One saving grace is that the Napa River Inn is located in downtown Napa.

Here is my grade for the Napa River Inn:
High Style - F
World Class Food - F
Delightful Unique Experience - F

Don't waste your money at the Napa River Inn.

7  Thank Golf_Daddy_In_Marco
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Got a deal through a social media website.

I first set up a time to go around my birthday but at the last minute had to change plans. The phone call to the hotel followed and spoke to reservations. They were easy to work with in changing the date and took the offer at the time to upgrade to a larger room with a great view of the river.

Since I needed to bring along a four legged furry friend to stay during the visit I called back to the hotel to get some information on Pet Sitters. Spoke to Linda the conceirge who quickly answered my questions about pet sitters. I gave her the information that I was looking for and the budget and she quickly took care of setting up the pet sitter so that a great night out for dinner could be enjoyed.

En-route hotel was the trip from hell. Two accidents on the way. One was a major detour as Hiway 12 was closed. I again called the hotel and Linda again took great care to help me rearrange a massage appointment that was pending. I will tell you that the people at Le Pelle Spa were fantastic. Not only did the honor the stay open late to accomidate our late arrival but they honored the whole 90 minute session. Thank you very much to the staff at Le Pelle.

Linda also was great in working with us on arranging that late arrival for the massage. I have never seen in all my years going to Napa seen a person go out of her way to help arrange for a late arrival.

Check in was great. Heather had everything ready to go and took care of getting someone to help me with my bags to the room. Mathew found me as I was out walking the dog and worked with me while the last bit of business was taken care of.

The room #215 was a corner room. Nice view of the river the only knock is the plants growing on the balcony make it hard for two people to sit out on the small patio. Also the doors to the patio need to have a way to keep them open easier. Wedging a chair was not the ideal method to do that. Bathroom was spacious and the separate tub and shower are spacious.

The pet sitter went off without a hitch and a short walk up the street to Fish Story was fantastic.

The next morning the breakfast arrived at the set time on the dot. The only knock was the coffee was cold. I would think a single carafe of coffee would have been nicer but hey I can not complain about free food showing up in the room on the dot.

If you are traveling with a four legged friend the steps that the Inn went through for them was fantastic. The bowls that were there were perfect the spill mat great and the doggie blanket was fantastic. Even the bag of treats was great too. The pet sitter that was set up for by Linda was fantastic. Bekka arrived on time and took great care of our pet for the three hours we were gone. Great job.

Lastly check out was smooth and simple.

The Inn is close to downtown and some great restaurants. I have nothing to say but great things about this Inn. I will come back again

Room Tip: Ask for what you want. If they can do it they will do it.
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We've stayed here twice. Napa River Inn is located in a recently renovated part of the little town of Napa. A very nice place to stay. Convenient, within walking distance to many really good restaurants. "Angele," and "Celedon" are steps from your hotel room. A two minute walk to "Morimoto's" and "Fish Story" restaurants. Located on the Napa River with lovely views of the river, the wine train etc. There's a really cool nightclub called "Silo's" adjacent to the hotel that had a great cabaret duo performing. Breakfast was included and delivered to your room from a bakery, Sweetie Pie's, on the premises . Very nice quiche and various bear claws, danish etc. A little pricey but a beautiful property with great service and location.

Room Tip: There are some river view rooms that are very nice. Some rooms are in a separate building just acros...
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Negative experience from beginning with their having the billing messed up creating awkward business situation. The only rooms I've ever seen that small were in Europe. The closet door couldn't be opened without standing on the bed. If you were standing at the vanity you had to move for anoth to exit the bathroom. A huge wall a/c unit was positioned to blow only in the bathroom. The room was over an outdoor restaurant and parking lot so having windows open was not an option. One Roman Shade was inoperable resulting in outside lights shining in the room all night. The carpet was soaking wet in 1/3 of the room. All this for a mere $350/night! Event weekend Napa gouging which may be fine if you are living large but we were working. On a positive note, the staff was professional and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Indychic
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Saying that the breakfast was the best think about our stay is not a compliment.....We stayed 3 nights over the weekend. Our room was on the first floor, with no balcony/patio, facing the parking lot so we were able to watch the smokers stand by our window. We also were put in an "ADA" room which was not requested so every time we took a shower the entire bathroom floor was wet and soggy. When I said something on checkout I was told that we received the ADA room because we requested one queen bed instead of 2 doubles. Really? That was the only queen bed?!
With that said, the location is great. We could walk everywhere and there are tons of restaurants to choose from . Parking is a breeze. The jazz club was fun and played good music on a Friday night. And the breakfast.....YUM! We won't be back though, just based on the room selection. For $350 a night I would expect something more.

1  Thank Amy P
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I was in town for business, but all that faded away the moment I walked into my room. The room was adorable, and the bathroom even better! I never get a chance to just soak in the tub at home, and here I had my very own clawfoot tub. I loved it! Big enough for two (a girl can dream), but more importantly exactly what I needed after a long week. The next morning, all I wanted to do was sleep a few more minutes in comfy bed and dream about spending the day in Napa; I could have stayed in that room for days. However, the smell of fresh baked morning buns from the bakery below does provide some good motivation to venture downstairs. I fell in love with this place and can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: The suites are very large and there are great rooms of the river and courtyard. Just depends on your...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business