“Great Location, Great Staff!”

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great Location, Great Staff!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were only in Napa for a few days and this proved to be an excellent choice for us. The location and area were wonderful, and the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast every morning was delicious, and the area is full of great restaurants and tasting rooms within walking distance. This is great place from which to explore Napa, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone.
Favorite Things: Right Downtown! There are great shops and excellent restaurants everywhere. We had wonderful service; Heather at the front desk gave us many fabulous vineyard recommendations and information on special offers. Breakfast was great (try the morning bun). Rooms were big, clean and lovely.
Least Favorite Things: Not much negative to say, except that our room didn't get a ton of natural light. It was very nice, however, and we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms on the ground floor without a view. We did have access to the outdoor patio...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

After hours trying to find a good hotel, we decided to stay here for my birthday and I'm so glad we did. The hotel is right in downtown so you can walk to a lot of great restaurants and shops. The Napa River Inn is charming, clean and romantic. I went to the spa and got a great massage. I arrived a little early and the Manager did her best to keep me conformable, offered me a complimentary foot massage while waiting, got hot towels for my neck. Even though it's a small day spa, the personnel is amazing.
We came back to the room to find a bottle of wine and a birthday card!!!! How nice! I will definitely stay here again.
The dine and stay promotion is well worth it, they give you a $100 gift card to great restaurants. You can't go wrong there plus you get complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the first floor (110-111-112) appeared to have larger bathrooms.
Herald, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Hotels right on the river are rare in Napa (I think there are only three). The Napa River Inn anchors the historic Napa Mill complex at the south end of downtown and offers beautiful large rooms within walking distance of some of the Valley's best restaurants, including the legendary Morimoto. It offers convenient free parking, and about half the rooms have a river view. The view is best, naturally, from the upper floors. It also has a fitness center, but this was closed for renovation when we were there. Elsewhere in the Mill complex are two nice restaurants, a jazz nightclub, a bakery, a gift shop, a specialty market and café, a candy store, and a day spa.

The hotel is divided into three separate parts, including the Hatt Building (8 rooms) over the lobby, which also has meeting and reception spaces, the three-story River Plaza Building (32 rooms), and the two-story Embarcadero Building (26 rooms). Our party booked two second-floor Embarcadero rooms with river views, which had a gas fireplace, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, and even a safe for storing valuables. One room had a soaking tub as well as a walk-in shower, while the other had a combination bathtub/shower. The decor of this building has a yacht cabin theme with lots of dark wood, wainscoting, and nautical prints on the wall. There were some nice touches, such as a lighted magnifying makeup mirror, a safety grab bar in the shower (lacking in so many hotels!), free bottled water, nightly turndown service with the traditional chocolates on the pillow and, best of all, breakfast delivered to your room each morning. The latter included pastries, a breakfast sandwich with egg and bacon or ham, and juice or coffee/tea. You could also order fruit instead of the sandwich.

On the minus side, the River Inn is not especially friendly to short people like me (I'm five-two). The thick mattress made the bed so high off the floor I had trouble getting in and out of it. Similarly, the bathroom counter was too high and I had to stand on tiptoes to brush my teeth. Tall people will have no problem, but shorties like me and children will find it a challenge. Overall, I give this hotel 4 and one-half stars.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank roadmaid
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I am traveling to Napa with my husband and another couple in May. My husband and I have stayed here before and loved it, so i thought I would book it again. I was very disappointed to find out I could not make a reservation, even though they had 2 rooms for 2 night available, because they have a 3 night minimum policy. so no reservation, no was the answer I received when I explained I had been before and only need the 2 nights. So for all my friends I have told about this place I will tell them not to stay due to their 3 night policy. I would think that money is money and make your potential guest happy. Apparently not with this hotel. will never come back!!!!

7 Thank snap_11
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
I'm so sorry that a three night stay didn't work out for your travel plans. I'm happy you enjoyed your first stay with us.

We do have minimum night stays on some weekends due to the extremely high demand for our rooms. We choose not to use dynamic pricing which is the practice of selling a room for a shorter duration but raising the price accordingly. For example, many hotels will let you stay 2 nights instead of 3, but will charge 30-40% more than their normal rate to make up the difference. We prefer to keep our prices as consistent as possible but sometimes this requires us to have a minimum stay restriction.

Sara Brooks
Oakland, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The staff at the Napa River Inn went above and beyond in every measure to make our stay comfortable and stress free. Sarah at the front desk in particular was extremely warm, friendly, and helpful.

The staff helped us coordinate our various events, guests, and even provided us with a special bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room for our wedding.

The rooms were beautiful, clean, and complete with a beautiful view.

Thank you for making our stay so special.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay...charming comfortable and beautiful location, within walking distance to great restaurants and the oxbow market is a must see! Our trip on the napa valley wine train was a wonderful experience. Staff was friendly and professional, food was well prepared and very good...didn't get to do the hot air ballon ride due to fog but we are already planning a return trip this summer!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Interesting location in an Old Mill. Several good restaurants and a Bakery/Coffee Shop nearby. One block from the Napa Tourism Center, which is a great place to get oriented and start your exploring. Friendly and accommodating staff, nicely appointed room with high-end coffee machine and gas fireplace! Good Breakfast in Bed Options for that lazy relaxing morning...

Room Tip: Loved Room #221 = Corner room with a view of the mighty Napa River! one window faces the street so t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KPdvmandJannieP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Bardessono
Bardessono
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!