“NAPA STYLE”

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill is perfectly located in revitalized Downtown Napa's Riverfront District. The location is a great launching ground for day trips to the North, or over to Sonoma. I have always stayed in Yountville, or Sonoma, so this was a first. Though you can't compare downtown Napa to the charms of small town Yountville, or lovely St. Helena, it was fun to experience their renaissance. There are restaurants at your doorstep, including Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant Morimoto Napa. You are also within walking distance to the Oxbow Public Market, my favorite place to visit in downtown.

Our group had 8 rooms so we were able to experience just about every room type available. There is a substantial difference between the Embarcadero building rooms and the Plaza building rooms. The Plaza building is light and bright with updated rooms. My Plaza Deluxe room had a river view balcony. a king bed and a fireplace. The Embarcadero building has dark walls, dark carpet and feels historic, if not a tad bit dated. All rooms enjoy free WiFi. Guests are treated to in-room breakfast of pastries, coffee (or juice) and a breakfast sandwich or fruit. You can also purchase additions to your breakfast.

The front desk was efficient and nice, but not very knowledgeable when asked for dining advice in downtown. During our three night stay I only saw the concierge one time.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Plaza building rooms facing the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Theresa S.

Downtown Napa is a great jumping-off place for small groups. It is centrally located to the other cities in Napa Valley, as well as Sonoma and even the California delta, or San Francisco. Its size has the advantage of being able to fit almost 20 downtown tasting rooms, and as many restaurants -- like the world-famous Morimoto Napa. But, we agree the quaintness of St. Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga is high up on the charm scale.

Our three separate buildings do have very different personalities. The Embarcadero has a more nautical theme to reflect the history of the old wharf that used to ship goods from that location in the 1800s. The Historic Hatt building is more turn-of-the-century (1900 not 2000), and the Plaza is contemporary. Since we are independently owned, we are able to be a bit more individualized in our decor than a global brand would be, and we hope that it mirrors our unique environment.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will be back to Napa soon.

Yours truly,
Sara

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stay here every year for my birthday which coincides with the 4th of July holiday. You can get rooms overlooking the river which have a great view of the fireworks. The location is perfect for walking to restaurants, tasting rooms, and shops of any kind. You get a complimentary breakfast delivered to your room everyday of your stay. You get to choose your breakfast from a menu from Sweetie Pies Bakery. This year we had a goody basket waiting for us when we arrived with fresh fruit and snack bars. It was a special touch that I don't remember from the previous years. They have complimentary bottled water in the refrigerators that come in handy when you've been wine tasting all day. My rating would probably be a four and a half, but I do have to knock them a bit for not having room service other than for breakfast. While there are many restaurants nearby, sometimes you need a break from dining out. One other thing I noticed on this stay was that the coffee maker wasn't super clean. I am admittedly a bit OCD about cleanliness and the rooms here are always up to my standards, but the coffee maker was not utilized by us on this stay because of the dust and build up. Other than that small complaint, our stay was perfect as usual. I know we will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: I prefer the plaza rooms overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tiffany K.

Happy Birthday! It is so lovely you come out every year to celebrate. It must be kind of fun to have fireworks as part of your birthday tradition.

Just to let you know, we are working on room service for dinner. Silo's nightclub, on the property, has added a restaurant, and they have a wonderful chef who is cooking up some ideas. I hope that by the next time we see you that will be in place.

Thank you for the heads up about the coffee maker, we have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.

Yours Truly,
Sara

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We loved this hotel. It is near everything in town, but off in its own little world. The rooms and bed were so comfortable and the breakfast in bed each morning was awesome. The wine tasting each day in lobby was great, loved the sweet shop at night , chocolate and wine go great together. The general store and restaurants located on premises were great as well. We only had drinks one night at the restaurant but friends in our group ate a meal and raved about it. We took bikes one morning for a nice ride around town and the front desk and concierge were great. The complementary car service was a feature that I did not utilize because we had rented a car and had limo service to wineries, but my sister utilized it and the babysitting service recommended by concierge. The service allowed her to enjoy wine time and the sitter and car service took the kids and sitter to a movie and return.

The showers and soap products, robes were awesome too. Waters in your room fridge was nice as well.

Will definitely stay here on our next trip back to Napa. In fact, I think this is they only place. I would stay while in Napa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine A
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is by far the most beautiful small hotel in Napa. The location is perfect. Tucked back on the river at the south end of Main St. with plenty of free parking surrounded by lush gorgeous landscaping, you can have peace and walk to everything downtown. Amazing restaurants & tasting rooms are just steps from the hotel. The staff is everything you would expect from a small inn. I have stayed in many places all over Europe and this is the top of the list for location, ambiance and service. We stayed over 4th of July and expected overworked staff and crowded areas..if the staff was overworked, we never knew it. They went out of their way to make sure this was a perfect stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank luv2travel42
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Overall great experience. Friendly and helpful staff. EVERYONE always greeted us with a smile and Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening. We will definitely stay here again.

One negative--the ROOM AIR CONDITIONER is loud!!

Room Tip: Room facing the River is best!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bob c
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Nice hotel, clean room. Fantastic front desk, concierge. I busted my ankle on my way to check in and was completely immobile for my stay. Concierge arranged for hotel car to drive me to a local restaurant and gave me an old left behind umbrella to use as a makeshift cane. The immediate area is underwhelming for Napa. The hotel is a bit pricey, but I think everything in the area is. If you are looking for a guaranteed clean room with pleasant staff, and no chance of having a bad or problematic stay, this is your place. If you are a bling person hoping to score the most impressive hotel you ever stayed at look elsewhere. Personally, I like a hotel to have a great restaurant with a big menu just in case I want to eat there every night. There is a French restaurant at the hotel that hardly appealed to me, and another that was pricey and lacked options.You can walk to several area restaurants though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Napa River Inn. The staff was extremely courteous. We were greeted with complementary strawberries and a bottle of sparking wine to celebrate. The concierge, Liz, went out of her way to create an amazing experience for us. It's worth every penny to stay here.

Room Tip: Check out the hotel packages to save money and get a good value for your money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!