“Just don't stay beside the exercise room”

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Just don't stay beside the exercise room”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I want to like this hotel...the location is ideal... but the rooms aren't as quiet as I had expected, especially if you're overlooking Celadon or beside the exercise room/ice machine. We woke up to the pounding of an exercise enthusiast at 6:30am running on the treadmill. The staff kindly switched us to another room after we complained and moved all of our luggage while we were at the wineries. Other than that you are in a perfect location to browse the nearby shops, to visit the spa and to dine at lovely restaurants. We went to Silos one night and saw a fantastic local band. I would stay here again (most comfortable bed and tasty breakfast!) but I would just ensure my room was ideally situated.

Room Tip: When they show you the map of where your room is make sure it's not beside the ice machine or ex...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Georginadc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My sister and I met at SFO for a four night trip to Napa to celebrate a special occasion. We could not have found a better place to stay. The customer service at this hotel is outstanding, everyone goes out of their way to be helpful. As noted by a previous reviewer, the beds, pillows and towels are top-notch, my sister pulled the sheets off so she could see who manufactured the mattress. Everyday they delivered breakfast to our room at the designated time we had selected the night before. The breakfasts from Sweetie Pies were delicious, and we truly enjoyed this morning luxury.
Using Trip Advisor I had made reservations at three different restaurants. I truly did not realize that all three would be within easy walking distance, (one, Celadon right outside our door!). We were close to everything, and if we weren't too close then Iver would give us a ride in the hotel shuttle car. When I was worried that the wine I had purchased would overload my luggage, the front desk staff said they could have it shipped. Everything about our stay at the Napa River Inn was perfect, and I wouldn't hesitate to return and to recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I arrived early and was still able to check in. The room was spacious, clean and inviting. The linens and pillow are high quality. There was a heated towel rack in the bathroom and the towels were the softest thickest towels I have ever used in any hotel. I was here for two nights and wish that I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: They have balcony rooms that over look the river.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Alameda, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Napa River Inn in mid-August 2014, as a surprise to my wife for our anniversary. We chose it for the location, because it was dog-friendly, and because of the spa.

I booked my wife into a couple of sessions at the spa, for a massage and for a facial, and she was very happy with the facility and with both treatments; she even liked the shampoo in the hotel bath so much she went back to the spa and bought a bottle to take home. The hotel itself was wonderful – very comfortable (in general, but also the beds) and the staff were great. It’s located in the old Napa Mill, and there’s a great restaurant (Angele), a sweets shop, a couple more little shops, a general store, and a bakery right on the same block; the bakery provides the breakfast which is brought right to your room in the morning (provided you complete your order card and hang it on your door by midnight). The hotel itself backs right up to the river and you can take a nice walk along the sidewalk along the riverbank. We didn’t have a view, but the room itself, and the bathroom, were good sized and comfortable.

Upon our arrival, the bellboy brought up a pet welcome basket, with food and water dish, dog snacks, some bags for the inevitable walks, a blanket for throwing over the bed (nice touch), and several pages of pet-related info: a list of nearby pet sitters, a list of dog-friendly wineries and attractions, and a list of dog-friendly restaurants. This last was most welcome, as we had booked dinner at Bouchon Bistro without realizing they had outside seating and we could bring our dog. We called them the next morning when they opened and were able to get our reservation changed from inside seating to the patio. Thanks to the hotel, we didn’t have to find a pet sitter or leave him alone while we went to dinner. And as a bonus the wifi worked great, which was a pleasant surprise as we were on the top floor at one end of the hall and I had expected it to be slow.
My only concern was a minor one, but worth noting by those will be visiting with dogs. The first night we were just getting settled in the room when a maid came by for turn-down service and we declined it; however, the second evening we were not in the room when they came for the turn-down service, and they left two chocolates sitting out on the nightstand. I noticed them as soon as we entered the room so I scooped them and up and placed them where our dog couldn’t get to them. But on a positive note, we received an emailed ‘how was your stay?’ survey within a couple hours of returning home, and after I made a comment about the chocolates in the ‘comments’ box at the end of the survey, I received an apology response within an hour of completing the survey noting they would definitely watch for this in the future and thanking us for letting them know – great customer service.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay, and would definitely recommend the Napa River Inn - especially for those traveling with their four-legged companions.

1 Thank b c
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a great time and the location is great for walking to the shops and restaurants in downtown NAPA. The hotel itself was clean and comfortable. We also had a small meeting room that worked great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed at Napa River Inn four nights on our first ever trip to Napa. We stayed in the Plaza, Room 228, which is at end of the hall on second floor. Very quiet, and easy access to courtyard. Private balcony which overlooks beautiful courtyard and Napa River. King bed, seating area, fireplace, refrigerator, in-room safe, large bathroom and dressing area. Breakfast in bed delivered each morning from Sweetie Pies. Hotel is surrounded by excellent entertainment and restaurants: Celadon, Siloh's, Napa General Store, Angele, The Pear Bistro. Each of these is less than a city block from the Inn. Many, many more restaurants and wine tasting rooms are within walking distance, i.e., 3 miles or less. ALL of the staff is friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The concierge service by Laurie and Kelly is magical - they wave their wands and your requests are DONE. The whole online reservation process runs like clockwork. The front desk and bellmen make sure their guests don't lift a finger. I am spoiled rotten. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there and the Inn surprised us with champagne and chocolates in our room, the front desk arranged for delivery of flowers from my husband, and Laurie made a dinner reservation for us at Angele. Absolutely perfect!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Napa River Inn for 3 nights for our first trip to Napa on an anniversary trip.

What we booked:
We paid extra for the "plaza deluxe" room and also did the spa package. We also booked our winery tour from Platypus and our walking tour through the hotel ahead of time. Which was all discounted because we booked ahead of time. It made it so easy once we got there - they had an itinerary waiting and all we had to do was relax and enjoy ourselves.

Our Room:
We faced the river and had a top floor with a small balcony. We enjoyed the balcony, but the river isn't much to see because it also faces a very busy road. However we were glad to have some private outdoor space. The room itself was very nice and seemed updated. It had a bluetooth speaker in the shower and lots of nice bath products.

We arrived a little after 3pm and had to wait as our room wasn't ready. Which wasn't a big deal because there was so much to explore and do because you are so close to the downtown area of Napa.

The surrounding area:
There were plenty of restaurants, shops and wineries within walking distance. The hotel even gave us a few free wine tasting passes.

We had a couples massage at the hotel's spa. It was so relaxing and enjoyable especially after a long day of walking around.

Food:
- CELADON - make your reservations ahead of time - it's worth it!!

- Oxbow Market - walk on over and experience the market. So many wonderful things to try, we wish we had more time to spend there. Try Hog Island Oysters (all the way in the back).

- Ristorante Allegria - Amazing Italian food and cute outdoor area.

- Tarla - a little bit of a hike, but a unique twist on Mediterranean food.

- Sweetie Pies - breakfast spot right next door and where the complementary breakfast is from.

Local wineries:
- Vermeil Wines - My husband had to stop in. They had a good they had a good wine selection.

- Mason Cellars - very reasonably priced wine for the quality.

- Mark Herold - What a unique place! You'll love it!

- Uncorked - Across from the Oxbow. They have live music and a great Chardonnay.

Finally just wanted to note that we did the Napa Walking Tour which is right outside hotel on the corner. We had a great time learning about the downtown area and didn't realize how much history there was!

Room Tip: Plaza Deluxe room 307 view faces the river/top floor and was updated.
1 Thank Emily W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Bardessono
Bardessono
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!