“Excellent home base for Napa trip”

Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Got a good rate on priceline bidding for a 3 nights stay at the hotel.

Location was very good and also very close for a stop on by to the Hendry vineyard. It's not exactly ideal if you want to stay in Downtown Napa as that's still a 2 mile drive but it's right near highway 29 for an easy path up through Napa Valley.

The staff was extraordinarily friendly from check in to the maids. Everyone was willing to do their part and help throughout the experience.

Some of the best things were the room layout and the bed. The standard rooms also have a shared balcony. The gym is excellent although a bit of a walk from other parts of the hotel and provides treadmills, ellipticals, bicycles, free and machine weights.

Some of the drawbacks was the lack of water pressure and hot water in the shower and the walls being so thin to the point you can full on hear the conversation next door. Would recommend bringing earplugs.

The construction was not noisy but I did notice some loose nails around the parking lot so just be cautious when driving around.

I would stay here again considering the value of service the staff puts in and the cheaper cost of staying here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 April 2011

This is the first of three Marriot hotels we stayed at during a trip to California. This hotel has beautiful room and grounds, and was well set up for the conference my husband was attending. The only strikes I have is that it makes a slightly too south home base for exploring wine country and also that Marriot seems to understaff its hotel restaurants. Overall a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank phillytraveler71
Reviewed 16 March 2011

After reading the reviews on the hotel, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Check in was extremely quick and I was given access to the conceige lounge. My room was located on the back of the hotel so there was no road noise. A friend of mine was delayed in getting to Napa and the concierge was kind enough to leave a message at the French Laundry for me cancelling her dinner for the next night. Traveling alone (unexpectedly) the lounge was a nice place to visit with other guests. At breakfast the conceirge suggested a plan for my day complete w/ maps etc. There was a nice evening happy hour with wine when I returned. A morning of rain turned into a spa day at the hotel. I had read a review about Mercer who worked at the spa. Luckily, when I called that morning Mercer was available and he was wonderful. I changed my massage from 50 to 80 minutes. I wasn't aware that the spa had specials but it was too late to take advantage of these so check them out when you check in. I was the only person at the spa so took advantage of all the ammenities. There is also a day use fee available to hotel guests. Staff great even when they got very busy with the Napa Marathon (they were the check in place for the race). Room was comfy except I could work the thermostat.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Decent hotel in lower Napa Valley.....A step up from a Holiday Inn but definitely not 4-star luxury. No views or ambience....but rooms are new and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I honestly don't know what the previous two people are complaining about, I am staying here right now. Check-in was a breeze, and we were very early. There were signs clearly directing you to where you check in while the hotel is under construction. The front desk was extremely accomodating in letting us check in early (about 1:00 p.m.) and I was grateful for that so we could unload and go start our exploring.

The room is incredibly clean (and I am a total germaphobe so coming from me is quite a compliment) and I felt very comfortable. Pillows and mattress are very comfy and even though we are on the freeway side, it is very quiet at night. I slept just as well as I would at home.

So don't believe everything you read. Yes, there are a few inconveniences with the construction but when you get into the room, it's very easy to overlook all that. I also have to say the hot tub is really warm and felt very relaxing last night. I give this hotel two thumbs up.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musicbox71
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Always stay in a Marriott when we travel if we can. Can not tell you how disappointed we were with our experience here. The construction created a place with no central location and we had to enter through side doors. Trying to find the conceierge was ridiculous. I ended up, in the rain, walking the perimeter of the hotel due to bad directions from the staff. Not once but 3 times. Rooms were fine but the service was lacking significantly. What a dissapointment. Ps. When making the reservation they never once mentioned the construction and the problems it would cause

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This was my third, and I hate to say, final stay at the Napa Valley Marriott. It had been 4.5 years since our last, and there seemed to be a major difference in the overall state of the hotel and level of service since our last visit. It didn't help that the lobby is under construction (which we knew in advance), making the "front desk" not easily accessible, especially if you're staying on the opposite end of the hotel since it is temporarily located in the spa.

Usually we've been fine with the location, which is close to Yountville, and we generally just need a place to crash since we're out and about exploring all day. This time however, we were reminded of how paper thin the walls are at the hotel. Between the horrible neighbors next door slamming doors at all hours and the "jet engine" of a heater coming on (as my husband kindly referred to it) all throughout the night, we barely slept during our relaxing getaway. Oh, and did I mention the lukewarm (at best) showers? My husband warned me after taking his that it was far from being a warm shower, and I actually had to hop out and skip washing my hair after a minute or two because it was just plain too cold to bear.

It also didn't help that it was a holiday weekend and therefore everything in Napa was much more crowded, as also to be expected. The concierge room, which has always been convenient for the complimentary breakfast, waters, and snacks on this type of trip was so overcrowded you would have thought a tour bus just unloaded every time you walked in.

Lastly, this is more of a nit - but I think it's time to finally invest in scraping the cottage cheese off the ceilings. Hopefully this will be part of the renovations.

Next time we are looking for a basic hotel option in the area, I will probably head back to the Hilton Garden Inn next door, which is newer, just as convenient and well priced if you are looking for a place to mainly just sleep. Either that or the new Avia hotel, which looks interesting.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
NapaValleyMarriott, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel, especially during a time when we are wrapping up our extensive two year renovation. As you mentioned, our guest registration is temporarily located in our spa and salon while we create the Marriott International Great Room concept in our lobby and restaurant areas. I especially appreciate the information regarding the water temperature and heating system sound level. Our engineering team has diagnosed and resolved each issue, and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Let me personally invite you back to try out our property once this renovation is complete. Our new public spaces will be both state of the art and full of Napa style.

Thank you for your time and willingness to contribute your thoughts to our future success.

Shawn Milburn