“Good Stay With One Near Disaster”

Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This was my 4th stay at the Napa Valley Marriott. I was assigned a room overlooking the Spa/Health Club (which seems to be the view I always get there.) The room was quiet, well maintained, and clean. It is a pretty typical Marriott room in terms of bedding and decor. Pleasant, but more in line with a typical business hotel than a wine country resort.

We arrived around 1:00 and the room wasn't ready yet, and we were allowed to check our luggage with the hotel. They said they'd call when the room was ready.

We went and visited with a friend in the area and returned around 4:30. I picked up the room keys and as I was walking to the room, they called to tell me the room was ready. Um, OK, thanks.

We had access to the concierge lounge due to my status, which is always nice. They seemed to keep things better stocked than I found on my last visit. As soon as we entered the first day, the concierge came up and introduced herself and let us know she was available if we needed any planning help. Frankly I always thought that was a little backwards--it seems that she should send an e-mail to all guests before they check in offering advance planning services. We didn't need help, as we were in town more to see friends than visit wineries.

Onto the near disaster. We had brought our own Riedel stemware with us. We had a bottle of wine in our room and the next morning I rinsed the glasses and left them on the counter in the bathroom. The two glasses that are always set up in the room prior to guests arrival hadn't been touched. Our stemware looks nothing like the stemware that the hotel provides--even in their bar/restaurant. As we were walking down the hall to our room, I noticed a pile of dishes outside our door. We had no dirty dishes in our room, which made this odd. Then I noticed two wine stems in the pile. I very quickly had a sinking feeling in my belly. I opened our door, looked at the bathroom counter, and realized they were MY expensive Riedel glasses sitting in a pile of dirty dishes in the hallway. Fortunately they weren't damaged.

I went to the front desk and explained to the very nice CSR what had happened. She seemed rather horrified and wanted to send up a bottle of wine or give us a credit. I told her that wasn't necessary as there was no damage, but I wanted to make her aware so she could pass it on to management in order to help better train the staff about taking guests belongings out of the room.

I took a star away because there shouldn't be dirty dishes from that morning in the hallway at 8:00 pm, and they obviously need to do a better job training housekeepers on touching guest belongings.

All in all a good stay, and I will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

I love cabernet too! And you cant just put a well developed cab into a regular glass, you need a good Riedel glass. I understand how important that is and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. I will personally go over the importance of identifying hotel and guest glassware with our housekeeping team, so that we ensure this situation is avoided in the future. Thank you very much for staying with us and cheers!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Well where to start...
Staff was wonderful. Marie from front desk helped me to my room as my arm was in a brace. She carried my luggage for me when she didn't have to. She was way above and beyond friendly, helpful and most of all knowledgable about her job. I watched one evening while she was working (I was waiting for a computer in front lobby) the front desk and was impressed that she treated everyone so well. Jake was very helpful too.
The room was fabulous! The beds were so comfy!!!
The food was great too! Giselle (?) in the lounge was very nice and often even served us cookies!!!!
Spent many nights at hotels during this trip that turned into a marathon car trip. NO OTHERS came even close to the service and courtisy found at the Marriott.
I hope after reading this, you to will stay here.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the second level near the spa. It was quiet and large! Huge bathroom too.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Hi Theresa! Thank you for taking the time to talk about your stay with us. I will make sure the team members you mention are told about your kind words. Your last sentence is my personal favorite, and I appreciate it very much. We hope to see you back in Napa soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is not a romantic get-away hotel and spa but a very nice hotel where you can also get spa services. It has a great restaurant, bar and a place to purchase a quick breakfast to go. The staff at the restaurant, front desk and coffee bar were all above average, whatever staff training they have done has paid off, even better than the Intercontinental and Fairmount chains. We were given a room on the first floor and initially told it would be quiet (taking advantage of a good nights sleep away from kids) but it was by the exterior exit door and you could hear it slam which it turns out was quite often. The front desk quickly moved us to a room on the 2nd floor, which was quiet. It's a Marriott so it is above average but not luxury, there are other places in Napa or Sonoma for that but it is a very clean, nice place to stay with all the amenities. Also provide two newspapers, huge plus for me.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on lower floors, the windows face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

We love those mini getaways from the kids, and love that you chose to adventure in Napa! As a father of two young ones myself, let me assure you that we will always be here for those valuable nights away from the hustle and bustle of it all. Thank you very much for choosing our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Arrived early - they said they didn't have a room ready - and didn't have the type of room we wanted at all - we left to explore and they said they would contact us when the room was ready. We returned much later - well after check in time - they gave us our keys - went to the room - it hadn't been touched by housekeeping - glasses, leftover food, ugh - So, we had to wait again for another room. They put us in something like a suite/conference room. It was large, handicap accessible - but had a conference table and two large glowing 'EXIT' signs by the doors (which stayed lit and lit up the room all night long obviously). So we slept in the murphy bed and a rollaway to the green light of the exit signs- but the next morning we were told we had to move AGAIN! They needed the room after all. They moved us to a regular room where we stayed for a night and then there was a bill under our door - even though our reservation was for one more night! Ok - so maybe our experience was unusual? but I think they should have comped us a night after all of the aggravation and hassle - (never mind they wouldn't let us use our Marriott points in the first place!) the place was nothing to rave about at all - although there was one front desk person ( wish I could remember her name - starts with an L- she was great). They were apologetic - but it certainly wasn't what I would have expected and made me question whether I would ever go back there. The breakfasts were good, the afternoon wine tastings were a nice touch (you are in wine country after all!) but I just can't give this hotel much of a good rating after having not one, not two, but three rooms in 3 days - it's just not that great......sorry but I expect better from Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NjMomandaughter
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for your concise and candid review of your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to bring such important components of your stay to our attention, as it helps us to improve our service levels for all our valued guests. I have personally gone over your review with our Director of Rooms and Executive Housekeeper to ensure that we do a better job with assigning rooms that coincide with guest preferences. Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and your family.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here for one night on Marriott points. The name of the hotel (including the word Spa) makes it sound more luxurious than it really is, which I think led to me feeling let down by the experience. Plus when we arrived they said that they didn't have a room available with the number of beds needed, so our only option was a roll away.

The room was big enough, but the corridors and general decor are not special.

The reception area was better and has a Starbucks. In the morning I wanted to sit outside on the sofas drinking my coffee, but the cushions had been left out and were too damp to sit on.

I did however get a free breakfast in their concierge lounge, due to my Marriott status.

In hindsight, I think I would have been better off finding a boutique hotel in one of the smaller towns, like St Helena or Yountville.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sdwoo

Thank you for using your hard earned Marriott Rewards points to stay with us in July. We are honored to be one of the most utilized Marriott hotels in North America for members redeeming points for their adventures in the Napa Valley, and appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand. As a top contributor to TA, we also realize that your feedback is extremely valuable and that your are an expert traveler. Our hotel's executive committee has discussed your feedback and will be using it to be a better hotel for all of our guests. Thank you very much, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A decent hotel at (for Napa) a decent price. The hotel is older (has a distinct '70s vibe) but they've done a good job working with what they've got: a number of areas have a surface update, and the rooms are the standard, comfortable Marriott. The location is perfect for all Napa Valley areas as it's in Napa but right on Hwy. 29.

We also used the spa, and the treatments were really good. The spa building is just above locker room, but again, they do well with they've got. The relaxation room is slightly better, with calm colors and comfy couches. Both of us enjoyed our massages and a facial, and it was well worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing the inner courtyard so you don't hear Hwy. 29.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for recognizing our hotel's recent renovations! We were very honored to win Marriott's renovation of the year award in 2011 for our VINeleven restaurant and lobby transformation, and it is great to see that our guests are still enjoying this comfortable environment. Our folks in the spa were also delighted to hear about your experience there, as we take pride in having some of the best therapists in the Napa Valley. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to be able to host you again soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed at the Marriot in Napa Valley for 2 nights for a friend's bachelorette weekend.

Most of the staff were quite friendly and accommodating. Front desk was helpful in recommending places and giving directions.

The hotel itself is quite tired and worn out looking, it could do with some updating. Our room was passable, however, attention to detail is needed. The windows had fingerprints all over it, the desk chair was stained with some pink substance, the safe and mini fridge had white stains from something spilled on it. We called to have these items replaced/cleaned while we went out for dinner, but it was never done. We asked for some extra towels and toiletries, and instead of putting in the bathroom, they left it on the bed. There is free wifi in the lobby and in the rooms.

There was continental breakfast offered in the concierge lounge each morning. We were told at front desk it was until 10 am, but when we got there at 9, everything was cleared out. The person cleaning was nice enough to offer to bring out some of the food though. It's a typical offering: juices, cereals, fruits, yogurt, some hot items (eggs, oatmeal). There is a free wine tasting nightly at the hotel, but we were never able to make it back in time to try it out.

They have a small garden and pool area with lounge chairs. One night we also hung out in the lounge area with the firepit, and the staff were nice enough to let us hang out during the night.

Location was good, just off the highway and close to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Around a 10 min drive into Napa downtown and wineries.

All in all, an average stay. I don't think I'd come back when there are so many other places to stay, especially for the price we paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and candid review of your experience with us. Our entire team takes each of these reviews seriously and reviews them for both successes and opportunities for improvement. Attention to detail in our guest rooms is of paramount importance to our success, and I appreciate you pointing out specifics about your stay. As you mention our team enjoys being accommodating, and part of that accommodation is listening to our guests at every opportunity. Your feedback is a gift that we will use to become better. Have a wonderful day!