“A very good Marriott” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Newburyport
“A very good Marriott”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

I usually hate staying at the big chain hotels while on vacation if I can avoid it. I usually find them to offer a reliable stay, but the variability amongst properties within the same brand is just usually too much for me.

This Marriott was a very good Marriott, which is to say that if you don't usually like Marriotts (like me), you'll be mostly pleasantly surprised.

The room was big, clean and newer. Perfect? No, but close to everything I look for in a comfortable hotel stay. Soft, fluffy towels, everything clean and in perfect working order, a small coffee maker in the hotel room.

The on site restaurant was empty, but the food was surprisingly good (for a hotel restaurant).

No problems with our room, but be aware that there's no free Internet in the rooms themselves ($4.95/24 hours). The wireless Internet signal was strong and good to use. I think there was free Internet wifi in the lobby.

I found it annoying that if you wanted to print out a boarding pass in their business center, they charged for Internet use there too. I find such nickel-and-diming at a 'resort' such as this as unnecessary and a little annoying.

A good value for Napa Valley and on the north side of town, closer to the wineries.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
NapaValleyMarriott, Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Thank you so much for the feedback and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in the fact that we are not your typical "cookie cutter" brand hotel and are glad that you enjoyed the experience.

You mentioned our restaurant food as being better than a typical "hotel restaurant" and we agree! We definitely have a hidden gem, right here in the hotel.

You also mentioned the charge for the boarding pass in our business center. We're constantly looking for ways to improve and we're contacting our business center provider to make this change immediately. Thank you so much for helping us get better.

Thanks again for the comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Korean first
Canyon Lake, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I stayed 2 nights, our rate was $203. per night. On arrival they upgraded us to a garden room on the Conceirge Level, the room was comfy! The room key accessed a well stocked room below ours stocked with daily continental breakfast of oatmeal, cereal, fruits, scrambled eggs & asst. bakery wow! Later there is wine & appetizers of veggies, won tons, bread & cheeses. Little pastries & coffee in late evening, wow can't say how great that all was! We'd stay there again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are very happy that you had a memorable stay. You mention that you stayed in our concierge wing and that you thoroughly enjoyed the concierge lounge amenities. We think the concierge level is such an incredible value for our guests and are glad that you were able to share your experience with others. We hope you can stay again soon. Cheers!
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Everything was as expected for a $238/night Marriott stay. Friendly staff, clean rooms, comfy beds and typical buffet breakfast. Very convenient to Napa, Sonoma, and wine country. The Oakland Raiders were staying there during our visit but the only indication of it was the walled off guarded parking in the back of the hotel (have to protect the $200,000 cars). Don't be shocked when you see the junk-fee tourism taxes tacked on your bill - hopefully some of it will be used to plug the pot holes in downtown Napa. For a slightly less costly option there is a Hilton Garden Inn right next door.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
NapaValleyMarriott, Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Cheers!
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Stayed in the hotel on 12th July with my wife and two daughters (20 and 16). Unfortunately, for us, only booked one night as we were touring California, Nevada and Arizona. Fabulous hotel. Bedrooms great - two very comfortable queen sized beds in each bedroom. Rooms and bathrooms spotless. Great facilities including lovely swimming pool. Had St Louis ribs for lunch in bar upon arrival - best ribs I ever tasted! Staff very friendly and helpful. Will be returning for 25th wedding anniversary in 2014. Absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. And we can't wait to help you celebrate your 25th Anniversary in a few years. Cheers!
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I have stayed here twice because the location is good. The last trip was for business. This time, my husband took a trip with my parents. My parents picked the hotel. Unfortunately, when we checked in (with our confirmation number), the front desk lady told me they were sold out of King rooms. This is irritating and unacceptable! We had a confirmed reservation.

As newlyweds, we weren't very happy paying the same rate to stay in a room with 2 full beds. We ended up sleeping in separate beds - too crowded for 2 adults accustomed to a Queen or King size bed. To make matters worse, that double bed room was on the ground floor near the loading area - we were awakened in the night by what sounded like a fleet of delivery trucks. The garbage truck then acted as our alarm clock first thing in the morning.

Obviously we complained. I wanted a refund, but lost that battle. The manager apologized and relocated us to 2nd floor King. The outside fountain helped drown out background noise which was a huge relief. The manager sent us a hand written note, bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. A nice gesture, but no excuse for not having our King room available the first night. It was cheap champagne (not even from California).

If my parents had not been staying there too, we would have packed up and gone elsewhere. I decided not to spoil everyone's trip. Relocating hotels would have been a huge hassle for my parents.

We also paid for Club Level access. That was a disappointment. The room was overly crowded and the entrance was not secured. It was clear that just about anyone could walk in regardless of whether they paid extra for the Club Level. At one point, I walked by the club room and the door was wide open. They may as well take the key card access joke off the door and hang a sign that says, "Come on in off the street and help yourself." The complimentary dessert was nothing special -- the same cookies every night. After watching a young boy spritz the cookies with a sneeze, then baste them with his germy hand, we decided not to eat anything else at the Club Level. No club cookies for me, thanks.

I definitely feel this property is over priced. I frequent Marriott properties and this hotel is closer to the quality expected at a Courtyard. I like Courtyard's just fine -- they are clean and basic. This property may have been a thread count higher than the quality of a Courtyard. That's about it. It's certainly not as nice as other Marriott "Resort" properties.

As the week went on, my bitterness mellowed. Napa Valley wine helped take the edge off my Marriott whining. I figured I'd save it for Trip Advisor. Hopefully someone at Marriott will read this and make some changes. We didn't spend much time at the hotel anyway. Our time and focus was on touring the wineries. Napa Valley is such a treat! It would have been nice to stay at a nicer property, but that's what future trips are for. I will look elsewhere in the future.

I'm rating this hotel Average. Everything in Napa is pricey, so I'm not sure we could have found a better rate during the week we went. I did notice a new Courtyard down the road. Wish we had known about that location. Since this hotel was sold out, perhaps there is opportunity for more competition. I'd like to see a nice Hampton Inn on the Napa Valley scene. Also, the downtown area is still under construction. It sure would be nice to stay downtown next time -- lot's of room for economic boom in Napa. Cheers!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your feedback. We absolutely value this type of constructive feedback as it helps us to get better. As newlyweds, I can understand how underwhelming it must have been to learn that you had been placed into a room with two beds. We obviously missed the mark on that one and we sincerely apologize for that. You also mention the concierge lounge being crowded and we've heard our guests loud and clear. We are in the midst of changing the location of the concierge lounge and beginning in April, 2011 we will have a lounge that is more than twice the size of the current location. Please contact me directly so that I can invite you back to our hotel to see all of the changes. (And I promise to get you into a beautiful King-bedded room.) You can email me directly at napasales @ napavalleymarriott.com. Cheers!
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

This is the perfect location to explore wine country for the first time. You are near Sonoma and you are just in the middle of Napa to explore the region. For the frugal traveler, you are right next to a Trader Joe's, Targer, and Whole Foods to get provisions for a picnic. I also suggest the farmers market each Saturday in nearby downtown. Just go one exit south and follow it west toward the river.

This hotel has recently gone through a rennovation and it looks wonderful. The rooms are very clean and actually very large! I suggest the marriott over a B&B because you really aren't there to stay in the room. But, after a long day it's nice to relax by the pool or in the hot tub. The rooms also had a mini-fridge, safe, and even glass wine glasses to use after a long day. nice touch!

The bathrooms are improved with good counter tops and ample space. But, the best part is that there is free parking. But beware, if you want a spot near your room you have to fight for it or you'll have a long walk.

No complaints! Afterall, the Marriott bed is the most comfortable in my opinion. If you stay here, make sure to visit the Hess winery. If you turn right at the light coming from the hotel you just drive up the hill and you'll run into it. Nice spot!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mtsublueraider
Thank you very much for the feedback. We're so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We agree that we are lucky to be situated in the middle of wine country and you mentioned one of our favorite wineries, Hess. So glad you were able to visit them. Please come again soon and we'll have your Marriott bed waiting for you. Cheers!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

My partner and I took advantage of a Travelzoo special - $99 a night, wine tasting, free coupons for the vineyards, and a bottle of wine. we were both very impressed by the hotel. All staff, especially the concierge, were friendly, with some great restaurant recommendations. Food at the hotel for breakfast was standard (we had the buffet) but well done and excellent. Waitress friendly and genuine. Our room was comfortable - it opened up to the garden and pool. Bed excellent, bathroom nice, perfect. Great location right off highway 29 - easy access to all the great stuff in Napa. In short - a great comfortable convenient hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple