“Came for the Wine, Stayed for the Cookie Hour”

Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Napa
New York City, New York
“Came for the Wine, Stayed for the Cookie Hour”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I always knew that my first trip to California would include a visit to Napa. After doing plenty of research on where I should stay, I discovered the Elm House Inn and had a gut feeling that this was the hotel I was looking for. When I arrived on a Tuesday afternoon, I was met with a welcoming smile and the news that I was just in time for Cookie Hour, which I later learned would be my favorite hour of the day during my days spent in Napa. Guests were hanging out near the fireplace already enjoying homemade cookies, which were the most delicious cookies I’ve ever had (and I do love cookies). This moment gave me all the reassurance I needed to know that I made the right choice when choosing the Elm House Inn.

The hotel was beyond lovely – my room was clean and had a huge television with plenty of channels for me to watch while I got ready for bed each night making me feel at home. The garden features a beautiful sitting area that is perfect for photos documenting your trip and the outside patio is a great option for having breakfast year round since there is a heater set up. Regardless of where you choose to enjoy your breakfast (indoors or outdoors), the Elm House Inn breakfast should not be missed. It was definitely not your average continental breakfast. There were fresh waffles and treats being made all morning and a delicious fruit salad offered to help kick start your day.

Don’t worry if you don’t have a full filled itinerary when you arrive for your time spent in Napa. Tom, Connie, and Kelly at the front desk all had suggestions for activities (not just limited to wine tasting, though they do have a wealth of knowledge in that department as well), and can help arrange reservations as well as winery visits for you. While there, I definitely had my fair share of wine (if you get the chance to visit Cakebread – their Chardonnay is the perfect glass to toast your vacation) and ate enough delicious meals within the few days to last me all month. Also, the Beer Can Chicken at Bounty Hunter (a close walk/drive from the Elm House Inn) definitely is a hit for dinner. Be prepared to eat A LOT – and don’t be surprised if you can’t finish the abundance of food with your friends, we could not though we certainly tried.

I would be doing a disservice to everyone if I failed to remind you how great cookie hour was. These cookies are truly like none other, just like the Elm House Inn is. If you get the opportunity to visit Napa you will not be disappointed with your decision to stay at the Elm House Inn. The owners should be very proud of their beautiful hotel and pleased that they have such a great staff to help make the trip that much more enjoyable.

With so much to do in Napa, I know I will be making a returning visit in the near future. While I don’t know the exact date yet, I can tell you one thing for sure – I will most definitely be staying at the Elm House Inn again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Took a recent trip to Napa and found this hotel (more like a large bed and breakfast) on Trip Advisor. It was a great find!!! Inexpensive, clean friendly, warm/inviting atmosphere and the breakfasts are AMAZING! The family that runs the hotel really go the extra mile to ensure your stay is beyond your expectations. I was surprised it was a Best Western because it is first class in my opinion. We were truly treated like royalty by these people while in Napa! I really fell in love with this place and these people. You will not be disappointed if you stay here.

Room Tip: On my next visit, I will definitely try to get one of the little apartment-like bungalos in the back...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We have travelled all over the world and this is one of the best and cleanest places we have ever stayed at. The breakfast is ample and the people working at the hotel have been amazing and go the extra mile and with a smile. If you visit the Napa this is the place!!! The ladies in the kitchen took my little girl into the kitchen and she made her own waffle. Big smiles all round. I had a mishap with a broken tooth and Tom the manager at the hotel had a dentist organised and had the tooth fixed the next morning. Dr Bradley Jones, at Trancas Street is not far away and if a dentist is required I can recommend him without reservation. He has saved my holiday!

Room Tip: Probably on the second level is best due to the proximity of the dining room to the ground level roo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Nantucket Island
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We check Trip Advisor almost always before making a reservation. The reviewer for this hotel was "spot on." Clean, spacious rooms, uber friendly staff. More of an inn than hotel or motel. Main building has maybe 20 rooms that have access from the main first floor living room, or from the second floor balcony. Following TA's advice we booked room 402 which is in a small, secondary building. Huge room, very clean. Actual downtown Napa is probably a 20 min. walk so that could be a drawback if you want a downtown experience.

Room Tip: I think we were in Room 402 was was much more private than staying in the Inn proper.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Have now stayed here 4 times and have always had a great experience. Very reasonably priced and they give you free breakfast.

Breakfast is continental style but they make fresh waffles every day.

Highly recommend this hotel if you need a nice room with breakfast and easy access to the highway.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gd1147
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is a small hotel with amazingly friendly and helpful owners/Innkeepers. Loved the fresh baked cookies every evening and muffins at breakfast each morning. Great hotel, we will stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MexicoBride10
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I recently stayed here for two nights with a group of friends and we all loved it. The location is great; it's only about a mile from downtown Napa. You could probably walk if the weather is nice. The customer service was excellent. The front desk people were super friendly and offered us some good suggestions on restaurants, etc. Loved the warm fresh baked cookies and milk at 6 PM every night! Definitely a highlight of the trip. :) The breakfast is also amazing as well. Fresh fruit, homemade pastries, etc - you can't go wrong! Parking is convenient and easy and the hotel is very quiet at night. We were a little concerned that we would be able to hear other guests (since the lobby is right outside the door and there are only about 25 rooms overall I'd guess) but people really were very respectful and quiet.

Overall the place is a great location, has a bed-and-breakfast feel (with a hotel pricetag) and is super cozy. Several nights we hung out on the couch in front of the fireplace. You definitely feel like you are staying in someone's home here. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends