“Would stay here again”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Would stay here again”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Nothing fancy but the staff is very nice and there is a free breakfast buffet with excellent waffles.

Room Tip: Get room 101
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I visited Napa Valley in over Presidents' Day weekend in February of 2011 (I wrote a review then, but it did not get posted for some unknown reason). So here is the "abbreviated" version of that review:

This is a great little inn if you are visiting Napa Valley and want to save a little money to put toward wine-tasting experiences and meals rather than expensive accommodations. We spent our days out and about, so we didn't want to spend a small fortune on a bed, but we wanted someplace comfortable, clean, and well-maintained. Overall, the Elm House fit the bill. Our room was spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge, which was nice but not entirely necessary. The shower was almost too big and didn't have a door, so it was hard to stay warm while showering, which during a rainy February weekend would have been nice. I don't remember our room number, but we had to go out through the very small courtyard past the closed hot tub to get to our ground level room. (I put those details in there because though the courtyard is cute, don't expect something huge, and the hot tub was not open the weekend we were there.) It was nice, quiet, and warm in the room, and there were some comfy chairs to relax in when desired.

I love bed and breakfast-type places because I hate having to hunt for a meal first thing in the morning when I travel, but that's just me. The breakfast room is comfortable, but it is not big enough for the guests that come to dine in the morning. We could not figure out an ideal time to go to breakfast because it always seemed busy. Some people had to wait awhile to get an open table. The breakfasts were tasty, and I felt like they had something to suit just about everyone. The staff worked hard overall. As we sat at breakfast each morning, I noticed that several rooms are right off the breakfast area/lobby (it's all one big room really). I made a mental note that should we return to Napa and the Elm House, I need to specifically request NOT to be placed in one of these rooms because I would not like the noise that guests staying in those rooms would no doubt have to hear.

It is not located in a particularly scenic part of town, but there is easy access to the main road going through Napa for our wine excursions. (If you're looking for a wine tasting tour company, we used Platypus Tours and loved our guide and the wineries she took us too--we joined one of the winery's wine clubs!)

Overall, I have to say that we were pleased with our stay at the Best Western Elm House. We felt that it was a good value for what we got: a nice room, comfortable place to sleep, reasonably good service, and a good breakfast each morning. I think we would very likely stay here again.

Room Tip: As I mentioned, try to request a room not right off the lobby/breakfast area (though the second floo...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cologirl20
London
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This B&B is very sweet. The owners and staff are excellent - very friendly and helpful, not to mention hard working. The breakfast was great; so nice for us to be able to get a proper cup of English tea and eat a healthy breakfast with fresh fruit, cereal and toast.
Cookies in the afternoon are yummy.
Laundry facility if needed. Hot tub. Out door seating. Free parking.

Unfortunately, our room was very dark and a tad dismal. We were on the ground floor in a corner and the room didn't seem to get much light. I'm sure if was perfectly clean but the room did look a bit dated.

All in all, it's a very good B&B for a good price but perhaps request a room on a higher floor.

About a 15 minute walk to down town Napa which was perfect for us.

Recommend the Napa Wine train. A great way to see the valley and the staff are very knowledgeable.

California
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We read the reviews and booked the hotel upon other travelers reviews. I called and booked directly with the hotel. I requested a early check in at noon since I was running the Silverado half marathon in the morning and needed to shower before wine tasting. I was informed that we could check in at noon.
Needless to say, when we arrived, we were told that check in was at 3 pm. They read our booking which stated that early check in was requested at noon.We were informed check in was at 3 pm they would call us when a room was ready. At noon the hotel was empty and not a car in the lot. As we walked back to our car, many of the rooms had their windows open and looked clean & ready for check in.
The hotel is not walking distance to downtown Napa and is located by the highway so we drove to find an outdoor cafe.
After waiting an hour & a half we returned to the hotel without receiving a phone call. Upon arriving the second time we were told " oh I was going to call you".
By the time we showered and drove to the wineries it was 4 pm. We missed a day of wine tasting.
The hotel should tell all guests of their policy of no check in before 3 pm. If we were giving this information we would have stayed where.

3 Thank CalGal07
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is is a lovely, lovely place. The independently owned Best Western affiliate is not like any chain hotel. A lovely garden, a warm and helpful welcome by staff and owners alike(including fresh baked cookies and tea), a pleasant breakfast room, generous room well kept make the overall gestalt of this place very special. The owners are a model of how to run a hotel: generous to guests and clearly caring about their staff, the feeling here is all about California warmth. I have stayed in fancier places, but none nicer than this.

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This was my second stay at the Elm House and I still loved it. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the breakfast is amazing, and the rooms are comfortable.

Don't be fooled by the Best Western name, this is a true gem.

• Stayed April 2012
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this inn for two nights, and found it to be exceptional. The room was large, clean, private, and without noise. The garden area was charming as well as the outdoor patio and indoor breakfast room. Food was delicious, and the warm early evening chocolate chip cookies were divine. Inn owners and staff really take pride in accommodating their customers.

1 Thank bloo207husky