“The Mandarin Restaurant Rip Off”

Mandarin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #208 of 283 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
San Jose, California
“The Mandarin Restaurant Rip Off”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Be careful when paying cash for your meal at this restaurant. I took my family of five to dinner here on 12/5/2013. The bill came to $65.00 to which I handed the waitress $80.00 cash for payment. Since I was expecting $15.00 cash back for my bill, I sat there patiently waiting for her to come back to me. After about 10 to 15 minutes, I finally flagged her to inquire about my change. Her reply, "Oh I already put it in the tip box." Seriously??? That was never mentioned when I handed her the payment. Then she reiterated in a LOUD voice the bill was $65 and that I gave her $80 cash for payment so that the whole restaurant crowd could hear it. I said I want my change! Needless to say, this place is going to be crossed off my list of dining places here in napa. Not much choices here. Panda express has much better tasting food and honest workers.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 2260

Hamilton, Bermuda
“Excellent chinese food in Napal Would definitely return!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Overall
- Great quality, fresh ingredients, and ample servings of everything
- A great spot to dine in Napa when looking for authentic Chinese
- Lots of parking
- Plenty of room for all party sizes, with booths for couples and groups of 4, to the usual round tables for larger groups, and nice window seating too
- Happy, genuine and quick service - rare on most other chinese restaurants

We dined here for a late lunch as we had done enough wineries and wanted a break. This restaurant hit the spot perfectly as it was unpretentious but well-decorated with traditional round tables as well as booths.

We order both appetizers and mains, both which came out quickly with ample time between time to really enjoy both. The portions were good, and the quality would compete with any similar restaurant in San Francisco!

Our server greeted us with a friendly smile, checked on us during the meal, and only brought over the check when we requested it, unheard of in most chinease restaurants.

All in all, a great find to which we would return and I would happily recommend to any Napa visitor looking for some good old Chinese food!

• Visited October 2013
Springfield, Oregon
“BUsy street, lots of parking”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Chinese menu in the restaurant with a full bar attached as well. I was disappointed not having Barbequed Pork on the menu, but the chicken dish was well prepared. All items are ala carte.

Visited September 2013
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Rushed experience”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We chose this restaurant in preference to the many local take-aways. We arrived after 9 and it seemed that they were close to closing although there were two tables occupied. We sat and needed to ask some questions about the menu. Wanting a fish option we asked what fish it was. The server checked with the kitchen and reported back by spelling the fish as swordfish. When served it clearly wasn't.

The food came quite quickly. The staff were clearing tables and sweeping the floor as we ate. We were presented with the bill before we'd finished. As we left it seemed the staff had signed off.

Maybe the moral is not to expect to eat late in this area. I can't even recall the food quality.

• Visited August 2013
Napa, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OK Food. Lacking in warmth.”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The food was OK, but nothing special. Minimal service or attention for the price. Felt like my presence was an imposition.

Visited March 2013