“The Best Customer Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in National City
Page, Arizona
“The Best Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Thank you for going above and beyond to help me. I will return to this hotel again, it is so nice to receive such great service (something you don't find too often). Thank you to Jose and Manny, you made my family reunion great.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Union City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this hotel because of the lower price than all of the other San Diego properties. Best Western Plus Marina Gateway is located in National City. It is a bit out of the way from most restaurants and the main part of San Diego, but if I were to pick again, I would stay here. The hotel is located in a very industrial area. The way it was designed, you didn't notice that from on site. When you walk into the lobby, you can't help but notice its beauty. We had excellent service from the front desk. When I was told I had a bottom floor room at first I was disappointed. But, we soon found out that the room had a sliding glass door and the pool was just around the corner. This was really the perfect room. Close enough to the pool to enjoy it, and far enough away to avoid the noise. Packing and unpacking our car was also easy as the sliding door access was near a quiet parking lot where our car was. This Best Western didn't have complimentary breakfast, but there was a restaurant beside it which served all 3 meals. The room was consistently clean and had newer granite in the bathrooms. My only criticism of our room is the sleeper sofa which seemed a little worn. The employees were all very nice and helpful. I would choose this hotel again if I am heading to San Diego.

Chandler, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family stayed here for a week in July and enjoyed it. The hotel is situated right off the I-5 and is very convenient to get around to see the sights. I cannot emphasize how great a benefit it was being right next to the highway. The property is well maintained, for the most part, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The small gym has just enough equipment for those like my wife who want to maintain their daily exercise routine. Parking and wi-fi are free, which is always nice.

Concerns: The biggest concern was the housekeeping. My daughter noticed what appeared to be blood stains on her sheets. We notified houskeeping which switched the sheets, but when we got back to the room the new sheets also had small blood stains on them! They eventually found sheets that were "clean!" Another issue with housekeeping was in the cleaning of the bathroom. One morning before leaving the room I glanced and noticed a couple of strands of hair on the floor. I knew housekeeping was going to clean the room so we left. When we returned we noticed the beds were made and it appeared the room had been cleaned, but the hair was in the same spot on the bathroom floor! We now were suspicious that housekeeping was not really cleaning the room, but simply doing "cosmetic" cleaning to make it look like it was clean. The hotel wi-fi was not good at all. Finally, I wish they offered at least a continental breakfast at this facility, but they share the lot with a restaurant named "Goodies" which we never ate at because we could find better prices at IHOP.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for the business traveler and for those who aren't concerned about breakfast being provided. Just be sure to check ip on the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra money for a room with a view as there is no view!
1 Thank Bruce G
prescott valley, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I note in your survey a question as to breakfast has never been any breakfast and no coffee except in the room with only one regular and one decaff. When I am paying $116 to $170 I am usually able to at least get some coffee and usually a breakfast. If the cost is going to be at a 4 star rating then why do you not provide a 4 star stay. We usually stay because of convenience, but we may start looking elsewhere in the future.

Yuma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I read many reviews before I chose this hotel and I made a great pick! I was very happy with our stay at the Best Western Plus. The hotel is beautiful from the outside and the lobby is inviting. The rooms are exactly how they look like in the pictures they look very new, the beds are comfortable, their linen and pillows are soft and clean and the carpets are very soft on the footsies as well. The room came with a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker and of course Wi-Fi. The bathroom was lovely tile and granite counter tops very clean. The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful. We were there for a soccer tournament so we stay in many hotels throughout the year and I was very impressed with the Best Western Plus it was our first stay at this hotel chain but we will definitely be using them again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel was very clean and comfortable. We got the the suite which had a balcony, 2 televisions, a sofa bed, MW and refrigerator for 4 adults. Enjoyed the balcony after a day at the beach. Plenty of room. As an added bonus it was located near the trolley stop for easy access to downtown SD for a baseball game. I would stay here again.

Byron, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

San Diego has a ton of options for hotels, and this is definately one of the better ones. It should be mentioned that we'd stay here again however, there are a few things worth informing future travelers. The hotel is actually in the suburb of National City, Ca, but is a close 15 minute drive from downtown. Its location is an acquired taste, as it is away from the frenzy of downtown but right near a railroad on the east side of the marina. The walls can be considered thin, so should a train pass, you will certainly hear it. We stayed for 6 nights, but were not disturbed at night. Most of the noise was before or during the noon hour. My wife and I stayed on the 3rd floor, and we must say the internet was pretty lousy. Weak connections made it very difficult to consistently search. We were gone most of the day as tourists, so it wasn't a huge issue. It is also worth mentioning that this BWP has no complimentary breakfast or restaurant on site. This is the first of the chain we've stayed with that does not provide breakfast or at least have a restaurant, but again, a minor inconvenience (there is a different restaurant next to the hotel). Also, priceline has a restaurant listed on-site for this hotel and obviously that is not true (with the exception again being the restaurant next door). We enjoyed our stay here, there are comfortable beds and pillows with clean rooms and extremely friendly staff. And for most, that is all that matters. We recommend staying here, just be informed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hercor Hotel - Urban Boutique
#3 of 20 in Chula Vista
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!