Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel
US$80
Cassia Hotels(National City)
US$83
US$81
Motel 6 National City(National City)
Orbitz.com
US$79
US$76
US$161
US$149
US$99
US$149
All reviewssan diegoin n out burgernaval basechula vistabest westernsnice hotelsmall gymwould stay here againtrolley stopfree parkingheated pooleasy accessgreat place to stayhotel is locatedbusiness centerminute driveroom key
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel staff are all excellent. Rooms are very comfortable. Goodies Restaurant is superb! free shuttle to/from San Diego trolley system a plus. Some problems exist: the "cold" water is tepid/warm; refrigerator had no control dial and froze everything put in it (easy thaw in the microwave, though); neither room nor front desk had telephone book; no information in the room about San Diego area attractions, restaurants, etc., and very little at front desk. But all of the major attractions in the area are reasonably close via Interstates 5 and 15. We stayed ten nights and saved over $1000 from a similar hotel in San Diego itself. That helps make Best Western PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel a great value!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William M
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Thank you for going above and beyond to help me. I will return to this hotel again, it is so nice to receive such great service (something you don't find too often). Thank you to Jose and Manny, you made my family reunion great.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this hotel because of the lower price than all of the other San Diego properties. Best Western Plus Marina Gateway is located in National City. It is a bit out of the way from most restaurants and the main part of San Diego, but if I were to pick again, I would stay here. The hotel is located in a very industrial area. The way it was designed, you didn't notice that from on site. When you walk into the lobby, you can't help but notice its beauty. We had excellent service from the front desk. When I was told I had a bottom floor room at first I was disappointed. But, we soon found out that the room had a sliding glass door and the pool was just around the corner. This was really the perfect room. Close enough to the pool to enjoy it, and far enough away to avoid the noise. Packing and unpacking our car was also easy as the sliding door access was near a quiet parking lot where our car was. This Best Western didn't have complimentary breakfast, but there was a restaurant beside it which served all 3 meals. The room was consistently clean and had newer granite in the bathrooms. My only criticism of our room is the sleeper sofa which seemed a little worn. The employees were all very nice and helpful. I would choose this hotel again if I am heading to San Diego.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family stayed here for a week in July and enjoyed it. The hotel is situated right off the I-5 and is very convenient to get around to see the sights. I cannot emphasize how great a benefit it was being right next to the highway. The property is well maintained, for the most part, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The small gym has just enough equipment for those like my wife who want to maintain their daily exercise routine. Parking and wi-fi are free, which is always nice.

Concerns: The biggest concern was the housekeeping. My daughter noticed what appeared to be blood stains on her sheets. We notified houskeeping which switched the sheets, but when we got back to the room the new sheets also had small blood stains on them! They eventually found sheets that were "clean!" Another issue with housekeeping was in the cleaning of the bathroom. One morning before leaving the room I glanced and noticed a couple of strands of hair on the floor. I knew housekeeping was going to clean the room so we left. When we returned we noticed the beds were made and it appeared the room had been cleaned, but the hair was in the same spot on the bathroom floor! We now were suspicious that housekeeping was not really cleaning the room, but simply doing "cosmetic" cleaning to make it look like it was clean. The hotel wi-fi was not good at all. Finally, I wish they offered at least a continental breakfast at this facility, but they share the lot with a restaurant named "Goodies" which we never ate at because we could find better prices at IHOP.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for the business traveler and for those who aren't concerned about breakfast being provided. Just be sure to check ip on the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra money for a room with a view as there is no view!
1  Thank Bruce G
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I note in your survey a question as to breakfast has never been any breakfast and no coffee except in the room with only one regular and one decaff. When I am paying $116 to $170 I am usually able to at least get some coffee and usually a breakfast. If the cost is going to be at a 4 star rating then why do you not provide a 4 star stay. We usually stay because of convenience, but we may start looking elsewhere in the future.