“Just a place to rest your head”

Ramada San Diego National City
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in National City
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Few things bothered me while I stayed there. 1. The ice machine only worked on the second floor. 2. The room key was sometimes difficult to open the door. Finally, the A/C took hours to cool down the room, and it's loud. So leave the room for a few hours so it can cool down. Overall, it's just a place to sleep.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Ramada San Diego National City

Reviewed 31 August 2013

After arriving at 8:30 PM the room was warm and the longer we stayed the hotter it got. We started calling the desk and after an hour and 2 calls a maintenance man finally came up. He said he would return and never did to skip the details we moved at midnite into another hot moldy room this time. At 4 AM it was still 75.AT 9 the maint man said it was working fine it would take another couple of hours. Another move this time to a room that rattled the room when the AC ran. Still would only reach 75. After calls to corp and a $30 discount for a lost night of sleep and 5 hours in the lobby we were put in another room (we stayed only because the hotels in the area were all booked and we were flying)They cooled it down for an hour and at 73 deg we gave up and moved in. I spoke to another guest who had a hot room and she said it was not worth the fight to argue with them. They paid up front and felt stuck for 3 days. SHAME on Choice Hotels for allowing this. We stay at Choice hotels alot and this is the worst ever.

Room Tip: Check the room and the AC and the smell. The headboard was all greasy from previous guest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank CountryHarvestUSA
Kenny Khan C, General Manager at Ramada San Diego National City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for your review and supplying us some guest feedback about your most recent stay.
I deeply apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with us during your stay. I know how frustrating it can be to not have a functioning air conditioner on a hot day. I have spoken with our maintenance and engineering departments to make sure that we will fix these issues that you mention here so no one else will have to experience these same issues. The last thing we want is for any of our guests to have an uncomfortable experience with us.
Thank you again for your comments, they are a great value and asset to have to help us improve our property and guest experience. We hope this did not mar what would have been an enjoyable visit to National City and we hope to welcome you back to Clarion Hotel South Bay the next time your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews carefully before going here, cuz they are all accurate. the neighborhood is bad, the hotel is in national city (not san diego!) the rooms are filthy and the non-smoking rooms still smell like smoke. the wifi worked fine though. i'll never stay at a clarion again as this was not my first disappointing experience with them.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank l0ckig
Kenny Khan C, General Manager at Ramada San Diego National City, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for writing a review and for providing us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your most recent stay was not the best experience. We will use your comments to help improve our property and grow. You are correct that we are located in National City, however San Diego is only 5 minutes driving time away from our hotel. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention. Comments from our guests are of great value to us in our attempt to improve our level of service and the overall enhancement of the guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Clarion Hotel South Bay the next time your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I read the reviews before I booked on Expedia. I got exactly what I expected, which to me wasn't worth the price per night. It was a quick drive from the Zoo and quick cab ride from the Gaslamp. While the staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was mediocre. The bathroom was dirty and the shower leaked all over the floor. I will probably not stay here again but it served the purpose for a night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Grace took my reservation over the phone, she was very friendly and professional. When we checked in, (the same) Grace was at the reception, and again she was friendly and professional.
The housekepper opened our room door and the smell of cigarette was overwhelming. She called the front desk and they gave us a room on a higher floor (they said the higher the floor, the less strong the cigarette smell). Yes the smell was less strong but still, it was very noticeable.
The location of the hotel is less than average, there are lots of homeless people hanging around.
The noise from freeway traffic is strong. Luckily I had my ear plugs for the night, and the noise did not bother my hubby and baby.
The room was very clean and had a mini fridge, microwave, etc.
So if you don't mind the noise and cigarette smell, the rooms aren't bad at all. Therefore I am giving it 3 stars.
Again, Grace the receptionist was great. I called a few days after we checked out for a question and she was courteous as usual.
Aunt Emma's Pancakes, 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel, has yummy crepes.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less cigarette smell
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tania B

Dear Tania,
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review! We always value guest feedback as it help us improve our property. I am very glad to hear that Grace did such a good job taking care of you and your family while you stayed with us. I will be sure that I share your comments with her and let her know how good of a job she's doing. I apologize for the cigarette smell and the noisy traffic, since we are so close to highway and main street it does call for a bit more noise. We will be sure to see what we can do to fix those issues. Again thank you for your comments. It makes me so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, we hope to see you at Clarion Hotel South Bay again the next time your travels bring you this way!

Reviewed 1 January 2013

So we just returned from our one night stay for new year's eve in San Diego. Used a Groupon for this stay at the Clarion. Our room was a "bay view" room, and was pretty nice with a few exceptions. The "view" is of an industrial/military area, so you get to see naval ships and freight shipping containers. There is also a freeway off-ramp in front of it all. It did seem noisy, but the room kept it muffled and we had no trouble sleeping. The mattress was firm and comfortable and the room was clean. The supposed "remodeling" that they proudly promoted was minimal, as far as I could see. The new shower curtain rod was clearly put in place by an amateur and the holes and spackling in the wall were evident (see photos). The carpeting was frayed and the lampshades had seen better days. Where, exactly, was the renovation?
Check-in was easy, although Groupon misspelled my name but that didn't present a problem. We were given a voucher for a free full breakfast and given a code to access the free wi-fi. The wi-fi was spotty if it worked at all. We were better off using our 3G, which defeated the purpose. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. The lighting in the bathroom, however, was dim and it was like showering in the dark.
This morning we went downstairs to claim our breakfasts and were told the restaurant was closed for the holiday. Why the afternoon staff the day before didn't know this wasn't answered. I asked if we could come back at a later date for our meal (we visit SD often) and was told I'd receive a phone call to verify what they could do to honor the free breakfast voucher.
As far as the neighborhood, well it is a bit shady. More in the deserted kind of way then scary. Keep in mind, however, this is Southern California. You are expected to drive absolutely everywhere, so empty sidewalks do not necessarily mean a bad thing, it's just a fact of life in a part of the country where cars come first. We drove a few blocks over to Aunt Emma's for breakfast and beat the morning rush. As we finished up the place got packed.
Overall, the room was nice, clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful. Young and inexperienced, but helpful.
I did get a follow up call on our way back to L.A. and was told that the manager would honor our free breakfast on our next stay at the hotel. So if we do stay there again, I plan on cashing that in!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rendvs
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here last week with a Groupon deal. Left 2 messages for reservation but never got a call back. After a week, was able to talk to an operator and made the reservation. Pretty much all the other reviews are on point. This hotel is in a sketchy neighborhood. Didn't feel all that safe in the parking lot either. Check in was a breeze, friendly receptionist. Room had a motel-like muggy smell. Furnishing was new but I guess they didn't change the carpeting. Walls were thin but luckily they were not busy on the 2 days. You can easily hear other kids running down the hall. Free breakfast was a nice touch. Cafe was however completely empty the 2 days we were there. Again, very friendly staff. Would probably not stay if not for the Groupon deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Super 8 National City Chula Vista
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#11 of 22 in Chula Vista

Been to Ramada San Diego National City? Share your experiences!