Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
dallet6
“Just ok”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We stayed here because we got a good deal thru my husband's aunt who works for the chain. It was just middle of the road. The bathroom was tiny and the ac unit was broken in my in laws room. They didn't fix it till the following afternoon. The breakfast area was tiny and the choice were cold cereal or pastries from a box.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fresno
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Clean and very hospitable. Good for people who are on a budget, easy access to freeways. For a two star hotel, it had a great breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Reserved at this hotel for Comicon Intl because of the proximity to the convention center and the outstanding (for peak summer period) rate I obtained. Freeway adjacent to a main artery to get you wherever you need to go to in San Diego. Driving to the convention center each morning was all of fifteen minutes. Room was more than adequate; not luxurious but was clean, comfortable with no harsh smells. Room furniture was extremely well-worn and some of it was in dire need of replacement for safety's sake. One chair was so rickety I was afraid to sit in it. The in-room fridge worked and was appreciated. Didn't use the coffee maker or hair dryer but the room, for what it was, was well-appointed with the aforementioned items along with iron. Free wi-fi signal was weak and didn't work for a period of time but was repaired. Good water pressure and more than enough hot water for a shower or bath. Ice maker didn't work for half of my stay, so I had to go down one floor to get some.

Breakfast may have been best part of stay. As previous reviews state sausages, eggs, waffles, fruit, cereal, milk, bread, pastries, orange and apple juices were provided and the dining area was clean, very nice size. I agree, another waffle station would have eased some of the wait on a busy morning and I don't want to make breakfast sound like a gourmet experience; it was what it was...but it was appreciated and allowed me to load up before beginning a busy convention schedule.

Now to the unfortunate - I stressed that I needed a room that was quiet with as little traffic as possible. After walking around all day and having my senses bombarded by the insanity that is Comicon, I need a peaceful space in which to decompress and get ready for the next day. To his credit, the desk clerk placed me at the end of the hallway on the top fourth floor so that I shouldn't have had any traffic going past my door or any footsteps above me. That worked. What didn't work was the screaming child at various intervals of the night in the adjoining room behind me, and seeing older children walking about with no apparent supervision. That bothered me. Not the hotel's fault I understand but unexpected because I didn't know if there were any responsible adults present to care for the children or not. Much worse was the party that some kewl hot kids decided to have right in the hallway and outside my room. These end-of-hallway rooms have balconies...a very nice touch. Unfortunately, they are open balconies, not just for the guest of the room but for anyone who goes through the double doors to step outside. So my quiet, calm, peaceful room became party nexus. Loud talking, smoking, drinking, going in and out of adjacent rooms with the door latch stuck in the jamb so each entrance concluded with a thunderous boom...I kept waiting for it to die down and as of 3am it had not. I reluctantly called the desk clerk...reluctantly because I had already called regarding the previous occupants and didn't want to come across as "that" kind of complaining customer which I am not. But it was too much and it wasn't what I'd paid for and I didn't want my rest compromised any longer. The following morning upon check-out I spoke with the hotel manager and asked to be accommodated for the previous night...I was not rested, looked horrible, felt worse. After trying to cut me a percentage he finally agreed to comp the last night so at least that part ended well.

I understand that the hotel isn't responsible for each individual's behavior but they are responsible, IMO, for providing an environment for their guests to rest and enjoy their stay without having to confront ignorant guests. I shouldn't have to police my area in order to not be disturbed. But let me stress that I've encountered similar behavior at hotels all over and higher classes of hotels so it's the people, not the establishment. The management's response to the behavior is what I judge them upon.

Last word about National City itself. I don't like some of the comments making it sound like a gang-infested dangerous warzone. Right by this hotel on East Plaza are strip malls and shopping centers with an IHOP, CVS, Carl's Jr, sushi (very nice experience there), a Wal-Mart nearby...you won't go hungry and I didn't notice any activity that would frighten or concern me. I had friends who stayed downtown at the US Grant, which charged upwards of $500-700 a night, who were more concerned about the transients littering the sidewalks there...and for all the hoopla about the Grant, all they had over me was a nicer flat screen TV which I couldn't have enjoyed because I would have been at the Con all day. National City, from what I could see, is an urban community of working people. "Nasty City" is a very unfortunate misnomer.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank btx109
OH
Reviewed 25 June 2009

The free deluxe continental breakfast was very good. They have a waffle maker (it would help to have a 2nd one, as on a busy Sunday morning it would also be in use), boiled eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs, cereal, pastries, toast, etc. This saves a family quite a bit by not having to pay for one of you meals each day. The room was fine - beds and pillows were both comfy, adequate tv stations, free internet. Tha bathroom is a normal size for most hotels (small, but has what you need). I would stay there again as it is simple to get to the zoo, etc.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 June 2009

The only reason I was not a sleep on the bed in room when the rock came through the window is that I was away from the room having dinner in a nice neighborhood when it happened.

I cut my stay short and high tailed it out of the dangerous neighborhood this place is in. It was on my way out that I noticed the gang tag below the Hotel Sign.

Thats the last time I try and save a little money on a hotel room without checking the reviews first.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank vinmann
Paramount, CA
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Bad news first: The room had a musty smell. The television had lines at the top of the picture. We never did complain about the television, so they might have changed it if asked. The downstairs ice machine was broken, so we had to go upstairs to get ice. Our room was right by the front desk, which is why my husband complained slightly about the noise. I didn't notice the noise in the room at all. I slept right through any noise.

Now for the rest: I wake early, and went out to the breakfast area. That area was noisy, but that was no fault of the hotel. Families let their little children run around to get out some of their energy. If you want quiet, collect your breakfast and go back to your room. The breakfast was better than a continental breakfast. Besides the pastries and bread and jelly, there were scrambled eggs and sausage, make your own waffles, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee. If something ran out, you simply have to ask for more from the server in the room attached to the dining area. She cheerfully refilled the coffee, eggs, sausages, etc. several times while I sat there. So, deduct the cost of a breakfast per person from the cost of your day. This was a definite advantage.

The hotel is close to downtown San Diego, Coronado, and near to major attractions. The folks who work there were all friendly and helpful. The hotel was not a luxury resort by any means, but we didn't expect that it would be at the price that we paid. I would stay there again, and I would recommend that family and friends do so as well at the price we paid. I would not pay over $100 per day for it though. Parking was free.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver ,b.c.
Reviewed 31 May 2009

for a non -smoking hotel,the room smelled a little musty,but we got adapted
quickly. The bigger problem was noise, we both are light sleepers and I
requested a room that is quiet, on the top floor. We got the top floor,but
we got three young guys next door who were jumping up and down and
shaking our whole room.They went in and out of the room slamming the
door every twenty minutes until 1a.m. The front desk person phoned them
but they still slammed the door- we wre not offered a room change.
The building is old and flimsy, the floors bounce when walking on them.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Comfort Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!