“Go somewhere else.”
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Such a shame.
It's a beautiful location, right in town & a beautiful old building with lots of history.
However, I would guess the last make over was during the 1950's.
OMG, dark, dull, tired - our first room didn't have a shower. The second room the shower over the bath worked fine, but the water didn't drain quickly enough and the bath filled up!
And the retailers in town all apologised when we said where we had stayed!!!!
This place is desperate for a refurbishment.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank EvsFetcham

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Built in 1856, this hotel is in a great location and does bring a bit of the gold rush days to life; however, the rooms are not up to standards of today. We felt the room was reasonably clean, but the furnishings and the carpet were extremely tired. Sitting on the chairs was not comfortable. The mattress was really bad and one of us slept on the daybed in our suite, which did have a reasonable mattress. The bathroom was very small – you could literally wash your hands while on the toilet. The bar and restaurant looked very inviting, but on a Saturday night, there was no one in the restaurant, so we went elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bettyobradCA
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Dinner was very good in the hotel fyi. (Glad I didn't view the kitchen) I was looking for a place to plug my phone in, when I pulled back mattress a bit all I saw was dust and cobwebs up against the fitted sheet, had of been there for years (gross) mattress was on a sheet of plywood, so bed wasn't really comfortable. Ant's in bathroom along with wet spot's on the floor around toilet.

Yes, it is haunted :) Finally after the clothing armoire opened on it's own 4 times after being closed and latched we knew there was a odd feeling in the place. After my husband yelled at it to take what it wanted and leave, the door remained closed. Very interesting.

Very old, dusty and dirty.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Leovista
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the suite. Room was pretty bad. Decor, furniture, and beds were all from the 70's. i would not stay here again. This place is a total dump. I have no idea how they are still in business. The carpet throughout the room and hotel was dirty, musty, and very strange. No screens on the windows. Frankly, this place needs an inspection by the Board of Health.

• Stayed: June 2013
10  Thank Cokemarine
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Since moving to California I have been very eager to visit Nevada City! My love for historic/haunted towns and cities has been a passion of mine for 25 years. As soon as we stepped foot into the National Hotel, I felt as though we stepped back in time. There are countless original antiques everywhere. We were greeted by a very friendly young lady at the desk. No reservations, and we were quickly checked into room 74, a Queen Suite. The view was amazing! The energy was strong everywhere you walked. If you have an appreciation for the historic, THIS is the place to stay. Fun bar atmosphere, friendly locals, and friendly staff. If you are a yup, uptight and overall a complainer, this isn't the place for you. Clearly, the people that have written bad reviews just sound like spoiled brats with no appreciation for the historic ambiance this place delivers. We will definitely be visiting again very soon! One night just wasn't enough!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I'd give the National Hotel a 5 for an incredibly, unique experience and a glance back 161 years into California history. I am surprised at many of the reviews, what were people expecting in a 161 year old, wooden hotel? The hotel creaks, it IS dated and worn in places, but that isn't a major negative for me, it is what I expect in a very old, wooden hotel. It is the very shabbiness, if you will, that gives it part of its charm.

Would I stay at the National Hotel for a week? No, that is why I can't give it a 5 overall rating. If I was there for a week, it would be a 3 rating. So I give it a 4 (very good) less on the condition & amenities and more for the experience. I hope that is clear enough.

But for a trip into Gold Country, the National Hotel is one of the hotels (Murphys Hotel, National Hotel Jamestown, City Hotel and a few others) that I would stay in to immerse in the feel of the CA Gold Rush.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank scottca075
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stopped in to the National Hotel to see if we could view a room for a future stay option. Our first impression… turn and RUN! The National Hotel appears to be held together with duct tape, plastic tarps and 1970’s wood paneling. What a dump. The carpets were old and buckled from wear. There’s no way we would walk out on their deck for fear of falling through. Being such a focal point of Nevada City, we think the city or county should step in and remove the current owners, AKA: Slumlords. It’s sad to see such a beautiful historic hotel in such neglect. Unfortunately, historic hotels that are worth staying in are becoming scarce in this region.

Room Tip: We didn't stay... and you shouldn't too.