“National Hotel in Nevada City”
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
San Jose, California, United States
“National Hotel in Nevada City”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Good prices. Hotel dates from the late 1800's. Nice room, tall bed, fireplace. Whirlpool tub, but very small. No elevator, depending on which entrance you use, lots of stairs. Right on the start of Old Town. Lots of shops and restaurants in walking distance.

Room Tip: The have economical rooms. The more you want to pay, the better the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Redding, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

If you like quirky,funky hotels with lots if historic charm this is the place for you. We loved having drinks on the enormous balcony that overlooks all of historic dowtown Nevada City. It's a bit run down in spots but if you dont mind a little adventure it could be a lot of fun.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank drakeandhen
Atwater, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Always wanted to investigate this place! The National Hotel resides in the small Historic town of Nevada City, CA. The hotel was, surely a blast from the past. With lots of the original furnishings and photographs lining the walls, this place had the perfect setting for another one of my paranormal parties. Plenty of stories from the friendly staff. Decided to try room 51 for the night and set up my equipment. The night was relatively quite, except for some random K2 hits. Did get some interesting photos with a few orbs captured. Haven't had the time to playback all of my EVP recordings yet, but will keep you posted. Overall, the experience was pleasurable. Plenty of town attractions for some nice photography. I see a return visit in the future. :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ORBS_inv
Roseville, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I had read in a travel book that the National Hotel was a "must see" and that the restaurant was the best place in Nevada City for a meal. Well, yes, if you want to see what the Old West must have been like, then this is the spot for you.The hotel is grubby; it needs a good cleaning and window washing. Actually, it needs about $2 million spent on rejuvenating it. The restaurant reminded us of a scene from a 1950's western movie, with some lovely oak mirrors but dirty tablecloths and tin cutlery that could have graced an 1849 boarding house. An ancient, moldy grand piano was at the entrance to the dining room, which was cavernous.

Surprisingly, the food was quite good. We enjoyed some excellent clam chowder and fish and chips. The fish was tender and fresh, and the chef does in-house breading and cuts and fries the chips. Really delicious. We were the only patrons in the dining room, and we noted that the chef came out to ask if we had enjoyed our meal. We said "yes," enthusiastically.
But the place did seem haunted. There were photos on the walls of George Custer's brother (I think). and the stairs leading up to the hotel rooms were dark, dirty, and unwelcoming. The restrooms were in need of a major rehab--yesterday. Whoever owns this hotel needs to look again at the business plan. It's a shame to let an historical treasure fall in such disarray. I noted that there have been various notes of strange voices and ghostly visitors. I'm not really convinced of such supernatural visits, but we did feel strangely creepy and left rather hurriedly. Go somewhere else for the hospitality of the town--that's my advice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Carol O

Travellers are raving about these Nevada City hotels

Northern CA
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Ok, went Christmas shopping with friends, wanted a unique experience & we got it! Lumpy tiny beds, cold water, semi clean & noisy! Incidentally, I'm not one for the far out, but I truly think there are spirits here! A good memory in a GREAT location. It truly is convenient for shopping Nevada City,

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in rm 34, the king suite, last weekend and it was perfectly fine. Hubby said the shower was a bit worse for the wear, but all in all pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. The bar is great, best lemon drop around!! Perfectly situated and coffee shop next door called Curly Wolf is awesome!!

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking forward to a quick getaway and knew of the hotel only because of its great location. I should have suspected something when there were no pictures on the website....when we arrived and walked up the steps to the lobby the carpets were old,tattered and dirty (like hadn't been vacuumed in ages). The front desk was piled with stacks of papers and "stuff" and looked like a mess. After getting our key and heading up to our room I was shocked at how run down everything was. Buckling, stained carpets, holes in walls, dirty floors. When we arrived in our room I wanted to cry...stained cushions on sicker furniture, bathroom that looked awful, linoleum in the "kitchen" from the 70's, bed in the bedroom that I was not willing to climb in, no screens on the windows....we immediately left to go see the town and after two hours of walking around I was so irritated that we were paying $140 for our "suite" and so disgusted about staying in it I returned and told the front desk we were checking out and wanted our money back. After showing them pictures I had taken, the only positive of the experience happened. They agreed to give us our money back less a $20 charge and were very gracious about it. Overall I totally understand this is a historical site and it's not expected to be state of the art and new, however it seems unethical for this business to advertise and charge $140 to stay in something this dilapitated.

• Stayed November 2013
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#4 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!