“'Where local drunks come to pass out'- from the mouth of the receptionist”
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 17 May 2006

After being woken up for the 3rd time by other patrons at 1 am on May 6th, I went to the desk clerk to notify her of the noise. She replied with words to the effect of "oh well a lot of the locals like to book rooms here if they are too drunk to drive home. It's cheaper than a DUI I guess." To be fair, catering to pathetic drunks in Nevada City may be a profitable strategy, but it does not ensure a goodnight's sleep for anyone else. I would definitely not recommend the National Hotel for anyone looking for a place to stay in Nevada City, especially on a weekend.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 28 February 2006

We stayed in a very small room at the back of the hotel that was well worn, but thats half the character of the hotel and the location.
This is fine if you dont want a bland, plush corporate hotel.
There is an excellent balcony out front where you can sit and watch the street and drink your own cocktails - and its right in the middle of the town

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank EricHalfaBee
Nevada City
Reviewed 28 February 2006

I live in Nevada City and spend time at The National. It, along with the entire town, is historical. The reason why the hotel might not be at par with some standards is because we intend on keeping our town historical. Much of the hotel is in its original condition. Past presidents and many celebrities have stayed here and you can see the signatures on display. Some say the hotel is haunted. But, if your going to stay in a historical town in the middle of the mountains thats been around the 1800's, what else would you expect? If you want 5 star luxury, try Reno. Its only an hour away. But even though I live in town, we still rent rooms at The National about once a month just to take a step back in history. Also, underground is all tunnels from the miners who searched for gold in 1949. Hence the footbal team the 49ers.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 January 2006

The 19th century hotel is quite impressive when you see the front lobby, restaurant, barroom and the large parlor upstairs that you can’t resist to stay the night….that is until you get a room. The rooms smelled of mold, have thin walls so you can hear your neighbor, and the rooms were furnished with old beat-up 1950-60s furniture. My first room was ridiculously tiny, extremely gloomy, reeked of cigars (even though it was a non-smoking room), and had traffic noise. I asked for another room and it was slightly better, but not great or worth the money. I would’ve gone to another hotel, but being a holiday week, other places were booked. To make matters worse, the bathroom door wouldn’t shut and I was terribly awaken when my bed broke and collapsed in the middle of the night. Lastly, the restaurant service was bad (although the food was good) and the bartenders were unfriendly and rude. I wasn’t the only one unhappy; the next morning when I was checking out, a customer in front of me was complaining about the bad service and smelly rooms. A few months later, while I was showing a friend the old town, I gave the hotel another chance. We went to the hotel’s bar for a drink and once again, the bartender was rude, so we walked out. I was very disappointed with this hotel and will never set foot in there again and advise others to do the same.

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank MarcelleBros
Fair Oaks, CA
Reviewed 26 December 2004

I've been to the National Hotel many times over the past 13 years and have never had a bad experience. The hotel has alway been what I would expect from one its age, which I do not mind. My last stay was the first since the new owner has taken over. It will definitely be my last.

My daughters and I planned to enjoy Nevada City's Victorian Christmas festival, so we booked a room 2 months in advance. We arrived 45 minutes after the allowed check-in time, but were told our room was not ready. In fact, it wasn't ready for another 3 1/2 hours and two more trips to the front desk. The front desk clerk was apathetic toward us and rude. When we finally got our room, we found the bathroom had not been cleaned nor the soap and shampoo replaced. The front desk clerk said she would have fresh product sent up, but never did.

In the morning, we went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. It has always been good and we had discount coupons from the hotel. We waited for over 15 minutes to be seated with the hostess standing across the restaurant staring off into space. Most of the tables were vacant and there was no one else waiting. It was 9:00 a.m. I finally approached the hostess and asked to be seated. She REFUSED to seat us, stating she didn't want to get any of her tables dirty because she was having a large group in at noon. AT NOON! Did I mention that it was only 9:00 a.m.? I went to the front desk for some sort of recourse, only to be met again with apathy. The desk clerk, completely ignoring the hotel restaurant complaint, quickly referred me to one of the other restaurants in town... which were all standing room only and 45 - 60 minute waits.

Needless to say, this closes the book on the National Hotel for me. There are plenty of good B&B's in town for the same money, or more good stuff just down the hill in Grass Valley.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 July 2004

this place was a real step back into history. the biggest thrill we had was to realize that this place even his some visitors from the past. we plan on staying there again!!

9  Thank DAVID S
Reviewed 20 June 2004

I don't disagree with the previous reviews, but the National was sold to a new owner last year. You might want to check and see if they've refurbished any of the rooms. They greatly needed it. However lumpy the mattress and scalding the bath water, the National was an antique lover's dream when I last stayed there in 2002. The elderly owner had vast rooms full of antiques that I longed to purchase from him. He wasn't selling, which probably was why he had so many. If I'd known he was going to sell the hotel I would have been tempted to buy it for the antiques alone.
The place is gorgeous. The National Bar is one of my favorite places on earth (don't stay for the music, think of it as a quiet respite for a Sunday afternoon Mimosa). The bartenders are professional and friendly. Look at the lights and the woodwork in the bar. Everything is authentic, it was there 100 years ago. It's simply an incredible place.

8  Thank MBMfamily
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
#1 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!