“WORST OF THE WORST”
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
NEVADA
“WORST OF THE WORST”
Reviewed 3 November 2006

I, along with 4 other people, tried to book some rooms for June 2007. However, the receptionist, as well as, the coordinator would not book any rooms nor give us any info. We had talked to them over 10 times in a two month period and never got a response. When I called today for the 20th time, the receptionist hung up on me. She said, "I do not have to put up with this!"

First of all, I never yelled, cursed, etc.. Instead, I was trying to explain the situation. I have never had someone in a business profession hang up on me! It must be a different breed at that hotel! Not to mention, they slur their words and can not hold a conversation. This leads me to believe they are drunk on the job! With all the bad news I have heard from locals and out-of-towners, why isn't something being done about their customer service!

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank TRAVELFAST1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Moonta, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2006

Id read reports about this hotel that were far from flattering but had no choice as the others Id tried to book were full for the time I wanted. Yes the National is an OLD hotel but surely thats part of its charm. It was done out to the old style of its hey days and although it may have needed some repairs I thought it was good. My room was in the Coach-House and was clean and tidy, although there were no coathangers and little space to hang any clothing, my one complaint. The staff were great and very very helpful. When I saw them away from the hotel they spoke to me and were still friendly and helpful with suggestions on what to see and do. I was there during the week and was lucky enough to experience the last Wednesday of the Summer Nights In Nevada City. If you are looking for luxury and up to date accomodation this is not the hotel for you but if you want to experience what living in the 1800`s was like you will love this place.

14 Thank Tathra
Modesto, CA
Reviewed 15 August 2006

The National Hotel boasts it is the oldest, continously-in-business hotel this side of the Rockies. It is apparent this is true, but it is too bad they haven't done many upgrades or even upkeep through the years. Although our room was huge, bedroom area and sitting area, it was tacky and cheap-looking. One of the worst parts was the mold on the ceilings in the bedroom area and all through the hallways. Glad I wasn't there during the rainy season! The bathroom had a corner sink with no space to even put down your toothbrush. We were afraid to use our hairdryer (they didn't provide one) because we wondered if the electrical circuit could take it. While Nevada City was a fun and lively place to visit (especially on Friday and Saturday nights), I would not stay at the National Hotel again. So much for history!

7 Thank Butterfly77

Travellers are raving about these Nevada City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2006

I was staying in town for the Nevada City Classic bike race. My race was Sunday afternoon, so I thought it would make for a nice weekend trip. This hotel absolutely ruined my weekend and my race.

We arrived and immediately found the room to be far beyond "classic" and well into the realm of "beat up." It was like sleeping in someone's attic. Sure, some of the old furniture is neat, but the room stank of mold and the sheets were old and NOT CLEAN. The mattress was absolutely unforgivable; it folded in half when you layed down. My girlfriend and I weren't able to sleep whatsoever. The next morning we discovered a drinking glass full of dirty water and cigarette butts on the nightstand. When we complained about the filth and the mattress to the managers, they moved us to the "Bridal Suite." This room was just as bad as the previous, and the decor was frightening. There was a moldy toothbrush in the shower and lots of women's hair on the shower walls. Again, \the mattress was unbearable, and in addition there were people drinking right outside our room behind full length windows until very late (later, the manager said "well people arent supposed to be out there past 10pm", but he offered no apology).

It's fairly obvious the hotel staff really couldn't care less about cleaning these rooms or improving the hotel. I had my racing bike and the manager forbade me from keeping in it the room because of "the carpeting." Mind you the carpet in this place looks like the same stuff in your local dive bar-- absolutely fithy and moldy. He told me to keep my bike in the "meeting room," which was safe because it was "always locked." On race day, I walked right into the room, turned the lights on, and walked out with my bike. Nobody saw me, and I dont think the room was ever locked.

After two sleepless nights (which completely ruined my chances in the race on Sunday) and no apology for the filth in our rooms, I can safely say that this hotel should be avoided at all costs. The staff are negligent and slightly dumb. Stay in Grass Valley if there are no other vacancies in Nevada City.

Stayed June 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Yes, it's old, but full of history. Was leary about the hotel based on some of the ratings, but we stayed in the suites (#54 and 55). My wife and I in one suite, and the kids in the other.
The hotel was centrally located, the staff was EXCELLENT, helpful, hard working, and all about customer service.
The restaurant was great, a bit pricey, but worth it. If you are looking for the Ritz, then stay at the Ritz. Bear in mind that thjis place was built initially in 1852. The kids thought it was great to stay in such an old place full of history. I visited the bar, and didn't see any drunks. We were there on a holiday weekend, so you would think that the bar would have been busier than it was. The other folks there were patrons of the hotel.
I will sum this up by saying that the hotel had the necessities, not the frills, but made up for it with the historical artifacts and excellent customer service. I took five kids with me, and was not disappointed. Again, we stayed in the suites, not a standard room, but the general hotel amenaties were more than adequate, and quite interesting. The veranda was great! the pool was refreshing- plain, but again, more than adequate.
I would not hesitate to stay there again. A good value, centrally located, helpful staff, and great service in every regard- from bringing our breakfast to the veranda to making sure the room was refreshed in the afternoon.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank regis293
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 May 2006

After being woken up for the 3rd time by other patrons at 1 am on May 6th, I went to the desk clerk to notify her of the noise. She replied with words to the effect of "oh well a lot of the locals like to book rooms here if they are too drunk to drive home. It's cheaper than a DUI I guess." To be fair, catering to pathetic drunks in Nevada City may be a profitable strategy, but it does not ensure a goodnight's sleep for anyone else. I would definitely not recommend the National Hotel for anyone looking for a place to stay in Nevada City, especially on a weekend.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 February 2006

We stayed in a very small room at the back of the hotel that was well worn, but thats half the character of the hotel and the location.
This is fine if you dont want a bland, plush corporate hotel.
There is an excellent balcony out front where you can sit and watch the street and drink your own cocktails - and its right in the middle of the town

• Stayed October 2005
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#3 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!