“Not much else to choose from, good location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nevada City Inn

Nevada City Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
Bay Area
“Not much else to choose from, good location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Like the town, it's an old quaint motel. Superficially the property has been maintained and the room was clean. Room had a small frig, microwave & coffee maker. The bed was quite hard. Heating worked, can't speak to AC since it was in the winter. Best thing for the Inn is that it's cheap, and a nice, quiet location. 20 minute walk to downtown, near a super market (the breakfast provided was not good), and easy access to highway 49. Funniest thing was that bathroom floor had a pronounced slope to it, made for a funny night time visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J_PBayArea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Corte Madera, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Very basic hotel, with a small refrigerator and a microwave in the room. The refrigerator tends to be rather loud at night.
Friendly staff willing to address problems.
My first night was I had to listen to the neighbor's TV until midnight. When notified the next day, staff was very willing to ask the neighbor to reduce the volume if needed.

Shower is small, but the water pressure is great and the hot water is actually hot, not luke warm as I've experienced in many hotels.
Continental breakfast was never available before I had to leave each day I stayed, however there is a coffee pot in each room.
I would stay at this hotel again if traveling again.

Room Tip: Cabins are separate, other rooms have thin walls.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ladybear_4me
Sparks, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Here is what I wrote in the survey sent too me after our stay at this dump.
My girlfriend and I stayed here based upon price and the appearance of the rooms pictured on the website. We were in town to celebrate her birthday and to experience the Victorian Christmas in town on Sunday the 11th. When we arrived Saturday evening the clerk at check in was polite and helpful. She explained we were upgraded to a two bedroom unit as the unit reserved had some issues with the bathroom. Of course there was no extra charge. I opened the door to be greeted by a poorly decorated cottage suite that was in my terms filthy. Some upgrade. I would hate the see what I was upgraded from. The couch had some sort of powder stains on it and was about as uncomfortable to sit on as a couple of rocks. It looked as if it came out of a second hand store. The kitchenette area was in very poor looking condition with cabinet doors that looked as if they were about to fall off. The sink area had a broken paper towel holder that had no paper towels. The utensils left I would never use as they looked dirty and old. The two bedroom areas were sparsely decorated with no headboards a night stand and an antique armoire. Paint in all rooms is poor with dirty walls, and very poorly done. The hanging lights in the living area and dinette area look as if they were from a yard sale. The light over the dining area kitchen table was missing all the globes. Both lighting fixtures were swag type that had the chains wrapped up to keep people from hitting their heads. They looked awful.
The bathroom area had various spots of dirt on the walls and hand grime that looked like it had been there for years on the door by the door knob. The sink and bath however were very clean. The decor in the bath for a room of this price was laughable. In fact, for the whole room, really. Baseboards and the vent for heating the bath were filthy with a layer of dirt on both. The linoleum in the bath looked like it was about to wear through in spots and also was filthy. I felt as if I should be wearing socks in the place the whole time. The curtain in the bath had a 4 inch tear in it. It appeared it was cut by a razor.
I found two pieces of glass on the floor over a 1/4 inch in diameter which leads me to believe the person vacuuming the place only uses the vacuum to pick up dirt they can see not the whole area.
The TV is mounted on a corner shelf that is so crooked you could roll pencils off of it. It sticks out so much near the dining table that it is almost impossible to not hit your head on it. I know, I did as in the evening when lights are low it is very difficult to see. The walls are rough hewn wood panels and are grey lending a very depressing feel to the unit. The TV stand is also the same grey wood and tends to disappear at night. This is a huge hazard in the room.
Upon time to check out I went to the office to turn in my key. No one was there. I waited about 8 to 10 minutes, no one. While waiting I was looking around the office area and what was left of the continental breakfast area. It too was filthy. Vents for heating had black dirt around them the area behind the counter in the office area was very dirty and after looking at was on display for the breakfast items I was glad I did not make the attempt to get up early to grab a snack. Based upon my observation of the office I knew why the rooms are dirty. Cleanliness is not apparent anywhere.
In summary, I will never be back to this place. I feel as if the 145.00 for this dirty place is way too much. I feel that I was misled by the pictures and verbiage on the web site and I will put in a review with all of these comments on various review websites. This place appears to be renting to people that are not able to afford a house or apartment. That gave me, a very insecure feeling staying there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee V

Travellers are raving about these Nevada City hotels

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is a cute little motel in Nevada City. They have the typical rooms but we chose one of their cabins for our party of 6 at $150 a night. 2 rooms with queen beds and a comfy pull out for the kids. Convenient continental breakfast with bagels, rolls, cereal, juice coffee and fruit. The cabins have little kitchens if you want to make your own food. The heater was great since it was freezing outside. We loved it!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Zephyr11_11
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

If your looking for a 'no frills', quiet motel to spend a night or two, then this is it. It's an older motel, but clean and with a friendly staff. If you want the Hilton, then this isn't it. The carpet shows the wear in some places, but again they are clean. We were able to stay on the bottom floor. Parking is adequate.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RRay_11
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Beware - the pictures are not telling the whole story.

Maybe what jaded us was the Hilton hotel in Sacramento for $75 - comparing this place, at $80. At $40 bucks, I'd say OK, at least it was cheap. And the parking was free. BTW, it is nowhere near the downtown of Nevada City so it isn't like you can just walk out the room and walk around the charming little town of Nevada City. That was my bad for not checking the location on a map.

But, if you don't mind disgustingly dirty carpets, a pretty bad mattress, clean, but scratchy sheets, lights that glare through the windows all night, a musty, cramped room for $80 bucks a night, and a surly host, then this place is for you.

You can do much better.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the bungalows but they
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Arnold B
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Well we stayed two nights, family reunion so what's a person to do? The room #9', was a dump!! The bed had only one mattress, in other words no box spring! The carpet was dirty with spots AND I never did see breakfast, at 6 am I only found warm coffee. This is a fact here....you get what you pay for!! and for kids...nothing!
won't be back

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gold Miners Inn-Grass Valley
Holbrooke Hotel
Holbrooke Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Nevada City Inn? Share your experiences!