“Excellent, authentic italian food”

Campanella Modern Italian Cuisine
Ranked #7 of 189 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This was quite a surprise! The food and service were "molto buono". One of the best Italian meals I've had in a long time. Fresh cooked, excellent flavor, impecable service, reasonable price. I hope Newark pays attention to Campanella - this eatery a gem.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

My husband and I went there during a typical dinner hour....7pm. The restaurant was empty. The waiter greeted us promptly but seemed annoyed when we declined wine. The bread was cold and doughy, I had to request the bread warmed, and again the waiter seemed annoyed. The meal came fairly quick but our disappointment continued!! Both pasta dishes were very bland in taste. I ordered Linguini with garlic and olive oil, not a hint of garlic was tasted in my dish. The other dish had scallops and they were over saturated with oil and no taste. Olive Garden is hands down better than this restaurant. We have had "real " Italian food from Little Italy in NYC and again while in Rome and Positano Italy this summer....so we know the difference! We had a choice of Italian food over Thai, Japanese and many other Asian cuisines, and we made the mistake of choosing this place. Please do not make the same mistake that we did!!

We did get our un-eaten food to go (for the sake of feeling bad to leave some much food behind) we then walked to our hotel and dropped it in the garbage before entering the hotel entrance.

1  Thank Lorie B
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Located in a standard commercial center behind a Chipotle, walking in the door you enter a nicely decorated place and are greeted with pleasant service. The food is great, the standard menu items are a bit high priced but they have a "value menu" of pasta dishes that are great.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I've tried out this restaurant several times, and each time it's been a resounding ho-hum experience. The food is not bad, but the portions were light based on the prices. Also, don't plan on bar drinks as theses were outrageously overpriced. If you want mediocre Italian food, save your money and find an Olive garden. If you are searching for good Italian, at a premium price, then Spido's or El Fornio are much better choices.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

I was surprised there were not more people in the restaurant for a Saturday night. The service was first rate and the food and wine were excellent.