“Health Hazard”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury Park
Pacific Palisades, California, United States
“Health Hazard”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed here on April 26-30th (It was pre paid so no I was not about to leave and lose my money) and the property was filled with pimps, prostitutes, and, I even witnessed someone breaking into a car in the parking lot! That is just the exterior= let's talk about the interior. For starters, there were worms (yes actual very small white looking things) that were crawling across the bathroom floor. Next, there was male body fluid still visible on the carpet. Of course, the TV gets like 8 channels- 3 of which are Spanish language. They do NOT have satellite or cable even! The washing machine and ice machines were both out of service too.

To top it off, no one at the front desk is either friendly or can speak English with any fluency. They are rude when you bring a problem to their attention as well. If I had the time, i would file a complaint with Ventura County Health Dept but I cannot take up my valuable time with such things. The website is a huge LIE in general AND the pictures are fake. Also, the website says 25 min to the major TV studios when it is more like 90 minutes drive.

Please opt for something else. This place is nasty!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here Stay away
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HeatherFulbright

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kfar Saba, Israel
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We booked this hotel due to lack of time and due to its low price. The hotel looked ok from outside, but when I got the key to the room I understood how lame it was - it was a regular key and not a card like all other 21st century hotels / motels. When we entered our room I was horrified - the room looks terrible, there was a weird smell in the room and it was so hot in the room! When we looked at the sheets and saw many hairs from previous guests, we went back to the motel's office and asked to switch rooms.

The receptionist was kind and gave us another room in the motel which was cleaner but smelled worse. This is the only room where me and my wife felt bad to shower in and we walked around all the time with our flip flops due to the disgust from the carpet.

Like somebody else wrote in his review of this hotel - it was like checking into a prison cell. Do yourselves a favor and spend a few more bucks and get a better hotel than this.

Room Tip: No good rooms - the entire hotel is a mess!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan F

Travellers are raving about these Newbury Park hotels

The Moon
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Just. Awful. It's like checking into a prison cell. Dirty, disgusting, lowly, lamentable. If you stay here, the joke's on you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Spokane
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Okl...this was the worst place I have ever stayed in all my travels. Hands down. I normally like value inns...I'm all for shabby chic ~ as long as it's clean. This place was filthy. I arrived late, but had pre-paid. I was shown to room 131, which is a handicapped room, and so terrible that I refused the room. 131 had a patio table and chairs in it, was filthy - I didn't take pics just got the heck outta of there. I was then offered "the only room we have left"...which was directly above the office. Omg. It was so filthy I could not believe it. Check out the images....there was feces on the bathroom walls. A fridge that blocked access to the bed. 3 hangers, one of which was broken with nails sticking out the bottom. Carpet smelled like a dog had used it for a rest room. I had to hold the toilet handle down for 3 seconds for it to start to flush, hold it while flushing, then it would scream for 5 minutes after flushing - broken plumbing. Carpet filthy, with dead bugs around the bed area. Blanket from the 1930's. No hairdryer, no nothing...except for a fridge that blocked access to the right side of the bed. Furnishings that couldn't be sold in a thrift store. Old small tv, with a remote that was held together with tape. A bathroom fan that was insanely loud - you couldn't hear the crummy tv if someone was in the bathroom. Dirty walkways, with broken rope lights tied on the railings that were so old, they were rotting. A pool that was filthy. Lastly...just to cut this short....no "continental breakfast" as advertised.

I don't know where they got the pictures that were posted on Trip Advisor...but they didn't come from the place I stayed at. Period. I have called the Ventura County Health Department. There is NO amount of savings that justify staying at this unsanitary nasty hotel. Check out my pictures. I couldn't get good ones of the filth on the bathroom walls...but you can still see it, The rest of the pics tell the story so I don't need to say more, except that if you decide to stay here...God bless you.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. You either overlook a filthy pool, or a freeway, or a Denny's. It is...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Liz M
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I went online to book our reservations, the pictures are NOT accurate, when you get there it is not nearly as clean or the same newer furniture.

The rooms are old looking, even the wall looked like it needed to be cleaned with some bleach or something. The furniture is like something from a poor neighborhood garage sale.

The only saving grace is the girl at the front desk, very friendly and sweet.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Shayam P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Thousand Oaks, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
We apologize for not able to meet your travel needs during your recent visit. We take your feed back very seriously and we will look into the issue that you have raised making improvement as needed.

Shaym
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I almost didn't book this place because I actually believed some of the comments made by folks who, in likelihood, are spoiled brats. Its not the Westin, but then the nightly charge reflects that. I found the rooms well kept and clean. There were no satin sheets nor fleece towels, but I only needed a place to sleep, shower and shave. It was perfect and an excellent value. Oh, and the waitress next door at the Denny's is a hoot. If Ricky Ricardo from I Love Lucy had a twin sister, it was her...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travelers. We appreciate that you found our value exceptional. We will look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Shyam
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I was looking for the cheapest hotel in the area that had excellent wifi, proximity to food, malls, libraries and grocery stores--I'd be there 2 weeks a month.
Management has been invaluable giving me directions and any help needed.
I'm very happy here.
the price is surprisingly low for the value.
cjohnson

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for being our valued guest and sharing your honest review with other travelers.
At same time we are happy that you have found us to be a good value and having by friendly staff.

Shyam
Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
#3 of 10 in Camarillo

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Thousand Oaks? Share your experiences!