“Truly awful.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury Park
So-So Cal
“Truly awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This motel was old, rundown, dirty and in disrepair. I made the mistake of booking it for something of an emergency on very short notice without checking it out on Trip Advisor. The $50/night rate should have given it away. The latch on the door of the room I was in, 128, did not catch, so you needed to throw the other lock from inside to lock the door. And this is not a hotel where you'd want to be with an unlocked door.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mvdljca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

The property has a good location in a decent neighborhood. I don’t understand why they aren’t even trying to offer a decent hotel. The walls have stains running down them. The toilet ran all night. See the photo of the mold and corrosion on the shower metal. If I could have cancelled, I would have (note the 24-hour cancellation policy). I almost left anyway. I kept my shoes on and didn’t dare shower in the morning.

Room Tip: "Look for a better hotel"
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SoCal_Visitor

Travellers are raving about these Newbury Park hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked this motel from Hotwire on the fly on 7/7/12. I saw a police officer cruising the parking lot when I first arrived, so that should have been a hint! I arrived and checked in. The clerk took forever to check me in (at least 15 minutes), and I was the only one there, and it was approx. 10pm. I went to the room and it was absolutely disgusting. The walls were filthy. The alleged clean towels and bath tub mat had stains on them, the worst of which was the washcloth. After I got it wet it turned gray! The mirror was rusted. The bathroom light switch was so filthy I didn't dare touch it. The shower shelf (for the soap) was dirty, and so was the bottom of the shower. The shower head hung off/out of the wall. I never took my socks off the entire time. The carpet looked as if it had been used in an auto repair shop. The television hadn't been moved out of the armoire forever, and had nasty brown stains underneath it. Oh wait! There's more! When I drew back the bedspread, I found others' hair left behind on the sheets in addition to multiple cigarette burns. I was so disgusted, I put a t-shirt down on the other bed so I didn't have to touch anything with my own clothes when I sat down. I immediately called Hotwire and got a refund, and told them they should be ashamed to associate their name with this dump. Don't ever stay here! YIKES!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank ShelbyPilot
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

When you walk on the carpet in bare feet and have a shower and black stuff comes off your feet then you know something is up ! We stayed here because we had stayed at several Americas Best Value Inn places before and they were great but this one was not - It needs a clean and makeover desperately! I suppose its like previous reviewers have said and "you get what you paid for" but other Americas Best Value Inn's we've stayed at for the same price have been great so I dont agree in this case with that quote! The pool was OK though - I think it was the cleanest thing in the whole place!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Well I guess my stay at this place is really my fault. I missed the warning signs. You should never lodge at a place that shares parking lots with a Denny's...never.  I should have walked away but as I talked to the hotel employee through the safety glass it was already too late for us. As soon as I pulled up to the room I knew what this place was. There are only three reasons you would come to a place like this. To kill someone, have sex with someone or to remove a bullet while on the run. Most likely some combination of the three. Upon opening the door my greatest fears were confirmed. The smell was what I can only describe as a mixture of cat urine and strangulation. From the walls to floor, stains were the theme. Big ones, small ones...stains that deserved caution tape. I will disagree with previous guests; it wasn't that loud but I attribute this to the fact that tomorrow was Fathers Day and that has to be a slow night for hooking. If you can get past all the above, I congratulate you my friend for you have shown great valor in the face of the most putrid of lodging conditions. However, two final tests await you; bed sheets and the toilet. The sheets....Lords of Kobal...the sheets. As I slept, I imagined the pillow that I laid my head upon was used to suffocate a previous guest. Alas, the toilet proved to be too great a test as I saved myself for a public restroom...the only good choice I made in my motel decision.

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank Milkmoneyhelms
perris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Cheap price. You pay for what u get. Rooms are realy dirty. And small.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pacific Palisades, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed here on April 26-30th (It was pre paid so no I was not about to leave and lose my money) and the property was filled with pimps, prostitutes, and, I even witnessed someone breaking into a car in the parking lot! That is just the exterior= let's talk about the interior. For starters, there were worms (yes actual very small white looking things) that were crawling across the bathroom floor. Next, there was male body fluid still visible on the carpet. Of course, the TV gets like 8 channels- 3 of which are Spanish language. They do NOT have satellite or cable even! The washing machine and ice machines were both out of service too.

To top it off, no one at the front desk is either friendly or can speak English with any fluency. They are rude when you bring a problem to their attention as well. If I had the time, i would file a complaint with Ventura County Health Dept but I cannot take up my valuable time with such things. The website is a huge LIE in general AND the pictures are fake. Also, the website says 25 min to the major TV studios when it is more like 90 minutes drive.

Please opt for something else. This place is nasty!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here Stay away
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Thousand Oaks? Share your experiences!