“Nice decor; clean that's about it.”
Review of Mandarin Bistro

Mandarin Bistro
Ranked #21 of 87 Restaurants in Newbury Park
Cuisines: Asian
California, Maryland
“Nice decor; clean that's about it.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stopped by this restaurant on our way to Leo Carrillo State Beach. When we walked in we saw 4 Chinese families having their lunches. I told my wife this place must be good. I looked at the menu and was impressed with the number of dishes offer. There was a weekend special sheet on the front of menu. I figured the special must be really good, so I was going for it. We ordered fried wonton stuffed with cream cheese, Sizzling rice soup, pork fried egg noodle Chinese style and red bean bun for our desert. The fried wonton took awhile before it arrived. It tasted OK. Then we waited at least another 15 minutes before the soup arrived. They used puff rice in square instead of loose type to make the soup sizzling. The portion for 2 was small. There were not much ingredients in the soup and the broth was tasteless. Disappointed we were, then the noodle dish arrived. From the look to me the dish was almost like Singapore noodle without curry. They used minced pork which did not say on the menu. The noodle was greasy. The red bean bun was not any better. The dough is hard not smooth as the way I used to and the bean stuffing OK. I do not recommend this restaurant to my friends or family.

• Visited August 2014

Agoura Hills, California
“Excellent all around”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Being Chinese, we hated to go all the way to Monterey Park or Alhambra for good Chinese food.
Then we found this place not too long ago, and have been coming here at least once a month, the last time with another couple from the mid-West for dinner.
We found the food to be excellent, and the service friendly and helpful.
We ordered Shrimp Sesame Pocket for appetizer. It was delicious.
For dinner, we had Chicken Cashew, Beef with String Beans in black bean sauce, Pepper Salt Pork Chop, and Vegetarian Shrimp with Mixed Veggies. All were excellent excpe the Vegetarian Shrimp, which was just ok, as the shrimp doesn't quite have the taste of 'real' shrimp. Last time we were here, we tried the Vegetarian Almond Chicken - and if I did not know it was 'fake' chicken, I'd swear it tasted just like 'real' chicken.
You do not get the usual greasy dishes or soggy veggies or meat. Besides the Vegetarian Shrimp, all of the dishes we've ever eaten at this restaurant has been excellent.
Restaurant atmosphere is casual and relaxed.

• Visited February 2014
Calabasas, California
“Bland and Tasteless”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were happy to find a Chinese restaurant near our new home, but we went once and will not go back. The food was completely tasteless and bland. Everything was soggy and colorless.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 91302Travel
Newbury Park
“Great little Asian!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The food is top notch and the ambiance, although somewhat casual, is relaxed and elegant. The staff is very friendly and the food is excellent. I liked the fact that nothing is swimming in grease or strong spices. Everything is subtle and delicious. I am extremely fond of the steamed veggies with white garlic sauce. I am not a huge veggie fan, but thinking about this dish has me salivating!I I really enjoy all of the different dishes and also the feeling of this restaurant. They staff is attentive and the food came in a timely manner. The prices are reasonable and i find the flavors of the food to be not too spicy or mild. Good stuff and worth the drive.

• Visited October 2013
Henderson, Nevada
“Tasty Chinese!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although the service was a bit slow due to it being Christmas Eve, the food was worth waiting for! We tried several dishes both Spicy and not. Each had a delightful flavor all its own. It was very busy and a bit hectic. But the friendly staff worked hard to keep the food coming and the teapot full! We will definitely return when we visit the area.

• Visited December 2013