“Something for all everyone”

Placerita Canyon Nature Center
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Newhall
Newhall, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Something for all everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This Nature Center offers easy hiking as well as more difficult. The visitor center is very informative and holds the attention of our five year old grandaughter. It is very easy to get to - just off the 14 freeway. Love the fact that this is the area where gold was first discovered in California.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kathie L

Santa Clarita, California, United States
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Hiking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I hike here frequently. Easy to get to, and we can go get our hike on after work. If you like a harder hike you can take the trail to the top.

Visited May 2013
Glendale, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved the place, history, and the guides!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Visited the place today although we have been living in Santa Clarita for seven years now. Loved the place and the history behind it. Our 5-year old thoroughly enjoyed the tour. He said he wanted to write all about it when we came back home. Our guide, Mrs. Judy McClure and her wonderful husband made it a great and informative day for us. She told us all about the flora, fauna, and the history. He pitched in for more information on hibernation and desert tortoises. Thanks to both of them, we had a lovely time there. Will surely recommend this place and visit again.

On a different note, both Judy and her husband make a lovely pair :)

Uma

Visited April 2013
Santa Clarita, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“California Lilacs in bloom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

This center is at the start of some great hiking trails, some more strenuous than others. My favorite climbs past a water tank and up onto a ridge that hikers can follow for quite a distance. Nice views from above. Near the nature Center, there is a lovely picnic area with majestic old oak trees giving cool refreshing shade, a very welcome respite form the heat in the spring and summer.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nature Close Up and Personal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I've been to the nature center a few times in the decade I've lived in the Santa Clarita area, sometimes with my husband, other times bringing friends and visiting relatives. Being able to get so close to the natural inhabitants of the area (from rattlesnakes to hawks and tarantulas) is a real treat.

The self-guided walks through the area brings you close to lizards and snakes, hawks and owls while you go (I suggest protective boots and carry your little ones in the summer and on hot days). The foliage is varied and fascinating.

I'm arachnophobic and when I was gazing at the tarantula in its acrylic cage, I mentioned this to the gentleman who was talking to us about the various insect and arthropod specimens they have. He shared so much about his creatures and asked if I wanted to hold one in my hand! I was terrified and excited and in a moment of fearlessness said I'd like to try. It was amazing! Would I want to keep one as a live pet, no, but I no longer fear the big spiders like I once did. It so affected me, I now collect taxidermy beetles, bugs and insect life.

It was a life changing experience for me, but for the family or friends who just want to see some wild animals and learn about the area, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Visited March 2012