“Pelican Hill: a Knockout Punch in the OC”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall Property: Lacking only a beachfront location, Pelican Hill is expansive, private, well-manicured and kept with an exceptional attention to detail. An experience of a weekend at this segment-leading property can only leave the well-informed travelled wanting more.

Rooms: At a generous 1.5x size any comparable property, the well-appointed rooms are a pleasure to be in. Combining the expansiveness of the property with the comfort of home, the bathrooms, beds, private patios and overall space exceeds the local alternatives so completely that to find fault would be almost unfair.

Spa: Vegas sizing + Italian motifs, but one hour from LA. Go figure. Gender specific jacuzzi, sauna and steam, along with fully appointed staffed lockers and regular schedule of exercise and yoga classes.

Food: Terrific and equivalent to best local options for formal and casual eating.

Pool: The reviews speak volumes, but the massive, artistically tiled and perspective engaging circular heated pool, surrounded by a half circle colonnade of multi-tiered Roman public space is both enthralling and oddly comfortable.

It is valid to suggest that the overall expansiveness of the property means that, depending on the location of ones room a guest will be walking a fair amount. It is also valid to suggest that as a result of said expansiveness, management has attempted to address the issue with frequent golf-cart shuttles which can be a bit distracting. Do note that in no way is the property located on a beach. You can hop a shuttle and enjoy a beautiful beach five minutes away. you may also view the distant ocean from your room.

Suffice it to say, we will return at our earliest convergence of availability and deserve-ability. Importantly, the staff has created a sense of space and resort specific experience that distinguishes the property and leaves a guest wanting more. Read my related reviews of nearby properties for a full contextualization of the property.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jofog1

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for 9 nights in early April at Pelican Hill in an ocean view (king bed) bungalow. We live in the heart of Phoenix-Scottsdale-Paradise Valley, Arizona - - home to some of the country's most celebrated and gorgeous resorts, spas and golf courses. We travel to SoCal, especially the Newport Coast-Laguna Beach vicinity, several times each year. Having previously stayed at each of the Montage, the St. Regis and the Ritz (each of which are lovely properties), we decided to try Pelican Hill.

Pelican Hill more than lived up to its reputation. It eclipses each of its competitor resorts in terms of beauty, elegance, service and, perhaps most importantly, overall karma. This is not just another scenic hotel resort. Instead, when you stay at Pelican Hill you truly "reside" at the property, including the ability to drive "home" each day to your residence on your own street. The ambience is a lovely blend of SoCal coastline and Tuscany.

The bungalows are spacious and well-appointed, with beautiful views of the sprawling resort property and the Newport (Crystal Cove beach) coastline below. Andrea and the Pelican Grill (at the neighboring golf club) offer delicious and diverse cuisine in warm, yet vibrant, settings. Even on chilly SoCal evenings (and there were a few as is typical on the SoCal coast in April, May and June), you'll be quite comfortable on the veranda/patio at each restaurant watching the marine sunset under heat lamps and on the heated tile floor. Breakfast at the Colisseum was very good and, of course, there's always room service on your own private bungalow terrace.

You can easily spend an entire day relaxing in a chaise lounge at the Colisseum pool, a stunning focal point on the huge resort property. The Spa offers the full complement of services that you would expect at a high-end resort and is modern and fresh with experienced professionals. We never made it to the gym (most unfortunate, given our many days of caloric overindulgence at Andrea and Pelican Grill).

The Pelica Hill staff - - from valet, to check-in/registration, to the bellman, to the concierge, to the waiters, waitresses and bartenders, to the masseuse, to housekeeping, etc. - - was extremely accomodating, attentive, informed, friendly and responsive - - kudos to the resort general manager and the entire staff!

All-in-all it was a wonderful vacation experience (notwithstanding a few days of work tossed in because of my inability to completely escape from my blackberry, conference calls and a few fed ex packages and faxes :-)) ).

Pelican Hill is a keeper and when we next return to Newport Coast we will stay at Pelican Hill.

C & L

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CliffLIL
Reviewed 18 April 2012

From the weather to the service, this hotel is amazing. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The outside balcony is private and ours had an amazing view. Each room has it's own fireplace for those evenings that get chilly and beds must be made out of clouds because you float on them. Anyone that says a hotel room is just for sleeping has not stayed here. The service is impeccable from the check-in to the restaurants. I will say the prices are quite high, even for 5 star hotels, but well worth the extra. If you prefer simple, there's a nice Marriott down the street. I don't golf, but it's also worth getting a golf cart and just take a drive of the course. Enjoy your stay and you won't forget it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank brianparsley
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Our stay at Pelican Hill is easily our favorite destination to date and will be an experience we will never forget. The staff provided us a 5 star experience from our ocean view bungalow, poolside cabana and the most amazing spa day. And the dining?  Wow!  Andrea, Pelican Grill, Coliseum - all highly recommended.  A heartfelt thank you to the Pelican Hill team for making our 10 year anniversary extra special. We have already booked a return stay for no special occasion other than to return to our home away from home!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Pelican Hill resort in Newport Beach, California is one of the most beautiful and relaxing resorts I have ever visited. My family has made annual trips to Newport coast since leaving California to live in Las Vegas some 13 years ago : That being said, the past two visits have been spent at the best of all resorts in the are. Having stayed at both the St Regis and the Ritz Carlton several times I can tell you that Pelican Hill offers the most family friendly, upscale and relaxing stay of the three. The resort is laid out among acres of sprawling terraced landscapes, many with views of the ocean and or the golf course. You will never feel crowded due to the resort's casita bungalow style of accomodations , which allow guests to drive-up to their room. The main building houses a lounge style bar and restaurants which offer the most beautiful views of the Pacific ocean in the area.
That being said, the main attraction at Pelican Hill is clearly the vast Oasis Pool which has to be the best pool at any resort in north America : It is surrounded by upper level luxury cabanas which offer full-service food and beverage services in addition to televisions, stereos and a butler. From your chaise lounge your view includes the pool- in the foreground- framed by the golf course and , behind it, the ocean glistening with sailboats and all, into infinity.I promise you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view if you have the means! And be sure to dine on your terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This has to be one of the most breathtaking venues in the world! Truly eye candy and very relaxing with one of the most unique concepts of a hotel that I've ever experienced in a great way. I would totally recommend this property for relaxation, privacy or exclusivity because it gives you all of it in aces!!!

The service concept is present but there is a need for some service training in certain areas such as housekeeping opening the door without knocking, leaving the balcony door open after cleaning, and restaurant staff that wasn't prepared to be on the floorbut yet serving us (didn't know soup of the day, unfamiliar with how to charge house accounts, etc).

Now the super stars of service were the valet, guest transport, and the spa. Chris in the spa was the best spa attendant I have ever experienced of a spa in the world, respectful, kind, attentive and professional! Can't wait to return to this icon of a spa!!!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The golf courses are simply spectacular, We were apprehensive about having to share our golfing experience with a caddy at first but T..........s was a great help, the only down side was being reminded what it was like to be 20+ years younger as he sprinted from divot to bunker, shooting yardage for all throughout the round. The condition of the courses and the views are hard to match. Lunch at the clubhouse was very good, fresh seafood with a great grilled flavor. The service while friendly was severely lacking in training for such a target audience. The waitress stacked our finished plates right at my setting, somewhat unnerving at the cutlery clattered threatening my lap.
The room was spacious with huge ceilings and a great private view. The bathroom was equally Grande with fantastic walk-in shower along with a large tub that could overlook the bedroom and the ocean view. The snacks in the room were past their best by date evident by the single stale pretzel I tasted, details that should not be overlooked at this high end resort.
We eat at Andrea’s restaurant and were seated on the patio. Again the view was super, the seating was a little to informal and relaxed for fine dining for my liking preferring to sit a little more upright. The service was attentive but the food we had was far short of spectacular, I'd have to say I was disappointed that it did not compete with the many great nearby restaurants of Newport Beach.
The pool is a gem with great service and a terrific menu. I sampled a few of the cocktails and they all competed well against the best bars in Manhattan. While I did not take advantage of the spa my wife assured me it was worthy of its claims and highly recommended.
The overall experience was very good, Golf, Pool & Spa. Checking out left a bitter taste, I was glad I had returned to the car having forgot my reading glasses, close examination of the bill showed we had been charge for the golf package which had included our green fees and then again for the golf. I politely pointed this out and was ushered to another without any apology. The nonchalant manner in which the concierge reprinted the final bill left me feeling it happened regularly but may be not always caught. Even an "oops I don't know how that happened Sir" would have won me over..
The property is too good for the management to settle for average food and staff untrained in fine dining.

Room Tip: The King bed was a good choice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark W
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us. While I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Golf Club, bungalow, pool and spa, I regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered and detailed here.

I understand your level of disappointment, and appreciate the opportunity to improve upon the areas that fell short of your expectations and our goals. To this end, I invite you to contact me directly, so we may discuss your feedback further. I have provided my contact information in a private message to you.

As we continuously strive to enhance the guest experience throughout the resort, your thoughtful input is valued. I thank you again for providing your thoughts here, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Kind regards,

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!