The Resort at Pelican Hill
Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$219
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Solarena, BW Premier Collection(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$167
  • Breakfast included
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$175
  • Restaurant
Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$156
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$191
  • Pool
Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$311
US$248
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$185
  • Restaurant
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$372
US$361
Balboa Bay Resort(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$335
US$306
Travelocity
  • Pool
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$228
Orbitz.com
1,645 results
All reviewscoliseum poolvilla poolgolf coursebutler serviceocean view bungalowcoliseum restaurantround poolnorth villasandrea restaurantthree bedroomgolf clubgelatogas fireplacesquare feetprivate patiothe ritzpool service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in a garden view bungalow for 3 nights recently. The accommodations and property were first rate, truly transporting, and we loved the private, exclusive feel of the property. There was no welcoming overview of services though- we would call and ask how to get to the pool and would then be offered to be shuttled over, for example- and found housekeeping to be spotty (we specifically asked for our foyer to be cleaned of sand twice and it never was). We wonder what other services we were not aware of.

Service is European style- not overly friendly or accommodating but always polite- we asked to be upgraded to an ocean view and were politely declined (despite its availability online), likewise when the wifi went down every morning 3 days in a row, we did not receive anything more than a sincere apology.

We have usually stayed at the Ritz or FS in Dana Point; this was a wonderful alternative, and a must-do if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked a weekend stay, and my son fell ill and we had to cancel on short notice. It was a total bummer and they kept a full night rate... which I fully understand is policy, so no complaints and I didn't mention it, but its still a bummer to lose several $100...

So a few weeks later when everyone was well I rebooked another stay. I dropped the hotel a note and let them know I was coming for my first visit (after paying for and not using my last one) and that I wanted to request a room upgrade if possible. The reply was most surprising: defensive and reinstating the policy and how they wouldn't be able to give me a refund for the previous stay. And I was most insulted because I never (either time) asked for a refund... and the experience made me feel cheap... which is most unfortunate at a hotel of this class.

Its always hard to know what happens on 'the inside' of any operation of this size... but I'm inclined to agree with those that comment about bad management.

So we went anyway-- no upgrade or notice of the previous email exchange-- and the hotel itself was very nice. The pool is pretty and my son had a nice time at the Pelican Kids club.

However the experience is like Disneyland-- over the top but also fake. There is little warmth or authenticity to the resort. At a top resort its nice to feel personally recognized, which they just don't do.

I wont be back... which is a shame because it's a spectacular property...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AdornoLou
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience with us. I’m sorry to read about the unfortunate circumstances you encountered, but glad that your son recovered and you were able to visit after all. I have personally addressed your feedback with our guest services and reservations managers.

I will provide our contact information for the director of rooms separately in a private message, so you may contact us directly at your convenience to discuss your comments further.

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Amazing location and modern spacy bungalows. The food was great in all restaurants we visited. The service could be better at the Coliseum Pool & Grill. Pricy drinks, especially the wine! The golf course is a must. In all, a spectacular resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel may be pretty but the management is horrific. They do not care about their guests. They think they are too good for their guests and the service is horrible. I have stayed at countless five star resorts all over the world. The management here is the pits.

Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014
10  Thank Caligirl7788
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Pelican Hill, we strive to deliver personalized service to each guest who we have the opportunity to service. I regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals. Your candid thoughts are appreciated, and I would like to hear more about your experience. I will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message, so you may contact me directly at your convenience.

Once again, we value your feedback and thank you for posting your thoughts here.

Santosh Kuruvilla
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The quality, space and sheer luxury is outstanding and their main restaurant Andrea's is worth a visit.

Service slips (which is usually corrected) too often and the pool area needs greater attention in terms of service (e.g. removing used food/drink items, cleaning under the beds over night). The gym is quite neglected and often has grubby machines.

Sounds a little bit of a whinge, but a 5 star resort normally looks after these items.

Overall, we liked the resort but felt disappointed by the service levels and a small number of staff that were quite unprofessional (many were outstanding though, but they really all should be all of the time for this kind of money).

Room Tip: they don't tell you the 2 bed ocean view villas are 2nd and 3rd story apartments over the road from the main resort
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank familymanfan

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit. While I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the Resort grounds and dining experience at Andrea, I apologize that your complete satisfaction was compromised by the less-than-perfect service you encountered.

I understand your level of disappointment in your experience with the pool service, fitness center and housekeeping. In consideration of the detailed feedback you have provided here, I have personally taken the time to follow up with the management of each department about the experiences you have described.

As we continuously strive to heighten the guest experience at Southern California’s top-ranked resort, I kindly thank you for taking the time to post your candid feedback.

Santosh Kuruvilla