“Overrated and overpriced”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice resort if you are looking for boring, staff that never leaves you alone and solitude. Highly disappointed and we felt like we were in a prison. At $795 per night , we had to call housekeeping twice to come and make up the room. I felt the staff were over the top and they had an answer for everything ! Waited an hour to get ice as apparently that is a no no for guests to get their own ice. When you do finally get your room made up , there were 4 to 5 different people that came ! When asked if I need anything else.......yes, leave me alone ! Staff "hovers" over you too much. Could not wait to leave the prison !

Room Tip: Don't be sold on the website of the views . Again, overrated . If you are looking for average vi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michele8814
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here. your candid feedback is appreciated. Please know that it is our priority to offer a pleasant and relaxing environment for all guests. I apologize if your experience has fallen short of your expectations and our goals. I welcome any additional thoughts you may prefer to share with us. I will send you a private message with the contact information for the director of rooms. Once again, thank you for your review.

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
The Resort at Pelican Hill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Turkish first
Tampa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our family of 4 stayed in a large room with 2 queen beds. The room was exceptional. Everything was clean and new, with high level finishes and a view of the ocean. The pool was one of the best I've seen anywhere. Resort food was very good, and Newport is only about 10 min. down the mountain. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Thanks again Pelican Hill! I have stayed here over a dozen times without a complaint. This time I brought my 18 year old daughter and she LOVED it too! The pool is amazing and she loved the property. So close to Laguna beach so a perfect package. The service as well as all the guests are wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Fbcrane
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in a garden view bungalow for 3 nights recently. The accommodations and property were first rate, truly transporting, and we loved the private, exclusive feel of the property. There was no welcoming overview of services though- we would call and ask how to get to the pool and would then be offered to be shuttled over, for example- and found housekeeping to be spotty (we specifically asked for our foyer to be cleaned of sand twice and it never was). We wonder what other services we were not aware of.

Service is European style- not overly friendly or accommodating but always polite- we asked to be upgraded to an ocean view and were politely declined (despite its availability online), likewise when the wifi went down every morning 3 days in a row, we did not receive anything more than a sincere apology.

We have usually stayed at the Ritz or FS in Dana Point; this was a wonderful alternative, and a must-do if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked a weekend stay, and my son fell ill and we had to cancel on short notice. It was a total bummer and they kept a full night rate... which I fully understand is policy, so no complaints and I didn't mention it, but its still a bummer to lose several $100...

So a few weeks later when everyone was well I rebooked another stay. I dropped the hotel a note and let them know I was coming for my first visit (after paying for and not using my last one) and that I wanted to request a room upgrade if possible. The reply was most surprising: defensive and reinstating the policy and how they wouldn't be able to give me a refund for the previous stay. And I was most insulted because I never (either time) asked for a refund... and the experience made me feel cheap... which is most unfortunate at a hotel of this class.

Its always hard to know what happens on 'the inside' of any operation of this size... but I'm inclined to agree with those that comment about bad management.

So we went anyway-- no upgrade or notice of the previous email exchange-- and the hotel itself was very nice. The pool is pretty and my son had a nice time at the Pelican Kids club.

However the experience is like Disneyland-- over the top but also fake. There is little warmth or authenticity to the resort. At a top resort its nice to feel personally recognized, which they just don't do.

I wont be back... which is a shame because it's a spectacular property...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AdornoLou
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience with us. I’m sorry to read about the unfortunate circumstances you encountered, but glad that your son recovered and you were able to visit after all. I have personally addressed your feedback with our guest services and reservations managers.

I will provide our contact information for the director of rooms separately in a private message, so you may contact us directly at your convenience to discuss your comments further.

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Amazing location and modern spacy bungalows. The food was great in all restaurants we visited. The service could be better at the Coliseum Pool & Grill. Pricy drinks, especially the wine! The golf course is a must. In all, a spectacular resort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Pasadena
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel may be pretty but the management is horrific. They do not care about their guests. They think they are too good for their guests and the service is horrible. I have stayed at countless five star resorts all over the world. The management here is the pits.

Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014
10 Thank Caligirl7788
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Pelican Hill, we strive to deliver personalized service to each guest who we have the opportunity to service. I regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals. Your candid thoughts are appreciated, and I would like to hear more about your experience. I will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message, so you may contact me directly at your convenience.

Once again, we value your feedback and thank you for posting your thoughts here.

Santosh Kuruvilla
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!