“Oh! Brother! Has this place ever gone downhill!”

Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort
Coronado, California
“Oh! Brother! Has this place ever gone downhill!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

You can't tell a book by the cover and you can't rely on first impressions from the outside here either. You would ever know, for example, that the 3 pages of hard and fast rules you get at checking are just not enforced. You would not believe that the required codes on restroom doors just don't work. You would not expect that the folks that clean the restrooms sign off on today and tomorrow at the same time so they only clean every other day. Wireless internet? Not if your iPad or iPhone is fairly up to date -- you will constantly be referred to the front desk for the passwords, but those passwords will never work -- be sure to bring an older laptop or forget using the internet. Oh, they promised it? Too bad for you. Employees ignore the speed limits in their trucks and carts so watch your kids and pets if you want to protect them. Go in the "pass" lane because you have a dashboard identifier? Oh, no! You will get an angry lecture from the gate person. These spaces are the narrowest I have ever seen (and watch out for that metal pipe full of concrete sticking up in your way. It isn't there for YOUR benefit. There are a few nice things about Newport Dines, but there will have to be a serious change in attitudes and management to let them shine through the filthy bathrooms and poor customer skills/service. It IS. All about the "resort" and not about those who patronize it. Good luck! Oh! Also watch out for the dog swimming in the pool.

Room Tip: Money talks. Good luck!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank prevere
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your review.
I immediately sent an email to all Department Heads your review. Early next year our restrooms are scheduled for renovation. The restroom floors will get new tile and stalls.. This year we have painted the buildings and the inside of the restrooms. WIFI was upgraded this year and the bandwidth was increased. Did you get help from the registration office? We have multiple WIFI towers to connect to depending on the section you are staying in. Our IT person has all the latest Apple products and helps guest with WIFI connection. Most of the time, guests try to connect to the wrong tower. Dogs are not allowed in the pool area and in the water (Service Dogs are allowed by law - not in pool water). Please contact me at 949 999 3103 to talk about your concerns. Thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We went to Newport Dunes for a family reunion this past summer.I had been looking forward to camping there and did, Thankfully for 1 night only. It stared with bad customer service when calling in to make the reservation. It took 3 tries. then it continued at the front desk with rude services. Then our site was still occupied after check in.We checked several times with the front desk only to be told to keep checking to see if the prior tenants had left. After 3 hours of waiting they finally left. That shouldn't have been our job to keep checking up. someone in charge should have made them leave. the front desk said we would get a refund. $8.00 bucks! BIG DEAL!!! Once at the tent site, we felt like we were camping in a parking lot. The sites were so close together with the streets lined on both sides with cars. PCH right above the tents site we the fear that a car would fly off the road and land on a tent. Music and noise was still loud past midnite. No control. WIll never stay there again AND WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY OPINION WITH OtHERS.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank 1m0m0f3b0ys
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for your review.
Your comments will be reviewed by our Executive Offices. Over the past few years we have expanded our sites and have some larger small tent sites. Please contact me at 949 999 3103 to talk more about your experience. I will review your comments with the staff to improve our service when sites don't leave on time (check out 12 noon - check in 2:00).

Travellers are raving about these Newport Beach hotels

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I booked a campsite here several weeks prior to staying for the weekend for my daughter's birthday. My first impression of the reservation agent was not that great considering he sounded like I was "bothering" him (sounded like a punk kid in his late teens). This staff member proceeded to give me the summer rate when I had given him off-season dates, however, I didn't know this at the time. We booked a beachfront site for a fifth wheel...or so I thought. I even paid an extra $10 per night to guarantee the site a wanted. When we arrived, my husband maneuvered our 41' trailer down this narrow road to discover our campsite could not accommodate a fifth wheel..only an RV (hook-ups on wrong side). Naturally, I was not a happy camper at this point (pun intended). I called the office and they said they had another beach front site that could accommodate our trailer and that they would give us 10% off each night. Problem solved right? Wrong. This site no longer had that easy access to the water that I paid and extra $10 a night for and instead had a view of sand and the activity rentals building. I'm mad, but I decide there is nothing I can do about it and suck it up. The staff gave me one free parking pass that I requested for the trouble. I guess after paying so much money to stay at this campground, I expected more from the staff in terms of making this right. All of the people who came for my daughter's birthday (sunday) should have had parking waived as a courtesy, and perhaps they could have granted a better discount than 10%?? This was a big screw up! Would they have ever noticed that they charged me a summer rate in the off season had I not complained? Although this was such a nice place to camp, they need some work in the customer service department. If you are going to charge people that much to camp, you had better be prepared to make it right when you screw up big.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank MrsVEB
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your review.
I will send you a personal email to talk more about your stay and what we can do to make it better.
Rick Vara Director RV Operations
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was my first time coming here and I was really excited. We stayed five days which the price wasn't too bad $115 a night we were only three rows from the water and it had a really nice view. The staff was really nice and accommodating and the grounds were well kept for the most part. We arrive Thursday night to see they didn't have any fire pits and if you wanted to rent one it was $35 a night I thought that was a little much and have never been to a place that didn't provide one with the site already. Friday our kids decided they wanted to play at the water park and again another fee of $35. They do have a lot of other free things but they do have a lot of "rental" fees for things. So I decided to shower in the resort showers because they are bigger than most trailers the first shower I used didn't work at all they ha poor ventilation in the facility and in two of the showers I used it appeared to have black mold spots needless to say I opted to just use my own shower after that. The beach area seemed to be a little unmaintained with sharp shells my husband and daughter both got hurt stepping on them. The main reason we came here is because it looked gorgeous and it was so close to the water which shortly change on Saturday due to the fact there was a sewage spill and the beach was shut down. No big deal right? So we decided to go to the pool and hangout because it was so hot and then someone pooped in the pool and that got shut down as well this happened not only Saturday but Sunday as well. Needless to say we tried to cool down the best we could with no beach area and no pool as well. We had spoke to the main office to ask if they were doing anything to compensate for there not being any beach AND no pool being as those were the things we paid to come enjoy and the reply was that they were not compensating anyone these things were not the resorts fault had it have been there fault they would have compensated which I understand its not their fault but we paid to stay there for these amenities we could not enjoy. We left on Monday the beach was still closed. We had been planning this trip all year and spent a lot of money to be there and was a little bummed with some of the outcomes. Would I stay there again? Despite the sewage situations in the pool and beach , shower situations, sharp shells on the beach, and rental fees it is a nice resort and the spaces are really clean so yes I would try it one more time. I just know now what things to watch for when I am there :)

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Minmin1981
Thank y for your review. This weekend was not normal for Newport Dunes Resort.
The county closed the lagoon due to a raw sewer spillage that occurred in Costa Mesa and was beyond our control. We had been in close communication with OC Health and Water Quality Department for updates during the closure. The lagoon is tested daily and whenever there’s a possibility of unhealthy situations it is closed until the readings are safe for swimming. It was reopened on Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
Unfortunately, there were incidents in the pool that could have been prevented had the guest used a baby swim diaper on their baby. But they did not and we were required we close the pool to guests. We are very aware of unacceptable water quality in the pool as well as our lagoon and we wouldn’t want anyone swimming where it isn’t safe. Measures have been taken to procure a quicker decontamination process so our guests can enjoy the pool sooner than later.
Please go to below Heal the Bay website to review Newport Dunes Resort Heal the Bay water ratings
I will also send you a personal email for your to contact me.
Chino Hills
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Returned to the beachfront site for our yearly RV trip. Had a great time. They have installed a small picket fence around the north end beachfront sites and I think they are great!. Unfortunately, we stayed at the sites without the fence and consistently had to watch people bring their dogs onto our site to poop. It is hard to enjoy a meal or the view when you have to watch the rear end of a dog and its droppings. Besides, we have 3 small children and it is not relaxing worrying about them playing in dog waste. We would stay more often if they installed fences along all the beachfront sites and I would rate them 5 star every time. In any event, we had a great time and will continue to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alphonso B
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of Newport Dunes Resort. Thank you for staying with us. I sent you a personal email to followup on your experience. Our plans are to continue with the fence in those areas. Dog owners have been recent problem which we are addressing with our patrol staff.
Thank you again for your review and if you need any help with accommodations in the future please call me at 949 999 3103. Thank you
949- 999- 3103
West Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is my first Tripadvisor.com review... I felt I needed to share our experience with other families looking to come here.

About us: Family of 5 with 3 kids under 9, 2012 32ft Travel Trailer and we camp approx 45 days a year for family vacations. Stayed Fri-Sun June 14-16

Review: We have stayed at MANY, MANY spots up and down the California Coast and have been eyeing Newport Dunes for the past year as a great location. After doing my research we felt that without the extra space given in the first row(Beach Front) we would feel cramped into other sites. The price of $300 per night when camping is extreme in relation to any other locations. However, we felt it would be a great quick trip and bit the bullet.

Adam in the main office who took our reservation was great, accommodating and very helpful! Check-in was smooth and they allowed us to check in at 11:00am. The site when we arrived was nice a spacious, however it soon became apparent that a HUGE problem exists at Newport Dunes.

Please see the attached photo... All sites along the beach have a grass area, some larger than others. These grass areas are what the rest of the campground feel should be used as a place for dogs to crap. We have NO problem with dogs that crap on grass... However, we do have a problem with pet owners who do not clean it up. Everyone walks their dogs along the beach and they ALL use it for a restroom. Back to the 3 kids.... Summer, grass, beach, no shoes..... Hopefully you understand what comes next... Yes, there are random dog poop bags around the campsite but we watched 1 in 10 people take a bag and actually do what they should. We notified the office and they had staff come by and clean the grass. Well, it only stayed that way for about 3 hours... Then we could count about 5 different NEW locations…. Something needs to be done to ensure only certain areas are used for animals. We asked one couple about it and they said a "Dog Run" was in the back but it was full of crap as well so they preferred to walk along the beach… SMH

Beach: OUCH!!! Sand is FILLED with broken sea shells. If the beach was "Raked or Dragged" this wouldn't be an issue. Not trying to complain but if you do end up going bring sand shoes.

Activities: $300 per night included your spot. Water/Power/Cable/Internet
No Fire pit, No Picnic Table. In addition, if your kids want to use the inflatable water slide it's $10 per hour/per kid. (Money Grab). For $300 dollars you would think SOMETHING like that would be complimentary.

My opinion is this… It's a "Nice" place that over charges and needs a lot of work advising their guests about animals. The guide when you arrive has lots of rules but non are enforced. Well I can't say that. They did catch some people who didn't pay to use the slides and called them out. But the same girl didn't enforce the no pets on the beach…(Money Grab) The store is great and offers a ton of stuff. The location is also central to campers who like to leave the campground and explore the town with kids. The arcade is standard issue stuff and eats about 1 out of every 4 quarters put into machines. Movies on the beach were cool as we could watch from our site. Quite hours seemed to be followed as well.

Our site was worth maybe $80 a night, not $300…

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank Todd F
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review forf Newport Dunes Resort. Thank you for staying with us. I sent you a personal email to followup on your experience. Our plan is to remove the sidewalk by those sites and redirect traffic to the beach sidewalk. Dog owners have been recent problem which we are addressing with our patrol staff.
949- 999- 3103
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The resort is very fee driven. Off Season costs $150/night. On Season is in the $300/night. There is a fee for dogs, guest parking, etc. The nightly costs are similar to an expensive hotel, even in Southern California. For this, you would expect some basics such as a large enough pipe to support internet service. 1MB download, no upload capability. The front desk said they might upgrade their internet sometime in the next two years. By the way, there is no Ocean Beach Front, it is a bay and you must back in. I hope you have a rear window, otherwise the 'ocean front' view you pay for is to look at another RV vehicle. This is a cash cow for the owners of this property and they spend little effort on making sure the amenities they advertise are real. Don't have high hopes just because of the high price.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for the 'beach front'. It is not worth it at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank TM1234544
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of Newport Dunes Resort. Thank you for staying with us. This year we are upgrading WiFi bandwidth at the end of June and many other upgrades to our resort.

Please contact me at 949-999-3103 if you would like to discuss your stay or need help in booking a future reservation.