“Please don't go there!!!”

Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Been here for a while... Bathrooms are nasty staff is lost it's loud smells like weed in the morning ... Perfect for my 2 year old and I :/ lagoon is too nasty to go in and the laundry facility sucks!! Waaaay over priced and simply not worth it :((

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Yaye1
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for responding with a review of Newport Dunes Resort. Please call me or email me so I can respond personally to your concerns.

949 999 3103
rvara@newportdunes.com

There are newer reviews for Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort

Reviewed 2 January 2014

After our visit in August I sent a review and received a very nice reply from management that they were working on fixing the "dog problem". If by allowing it to get worse you are fixing it, then they have succeeded. The number 1 rule on the rule flyer given to each camper states," No pets on the beach, lawns or landscaping. We have a small dog run by the bike path". We thought a dog defecating on the beachfront sites was bad before, this was even worse. I got into 3 verbal altercations with owners who walked their dog onto my site and tried to walk away without picking up their dog's waste. Every morning I had to remove dog feces on my site to allow my 3 children to play on the grass. The morning view is no longer relaxing as more owners are using the lawns and beach to let their dogs lay urine and feces. Most are responsible, but some, are not. They do this in plain sight of staff and lifeguards without any type of warning. I guess the fact that they have installed fences on the north beachfront sites has made the south sites more attractive to lay waste. The beach was closed from Saturday until we left on Monday because of a sewage spill. This was because of no fault of their own and I feel bad at how some of the staff were harassed by upset vacationers. A simple flyer explaining the situation would have been a good idea. We decided, along with several others, to kayak and paddleboard in spite of the warnings. A lifeguard came and told us to adhere to the warnings and go take a shower. He was very nice, but unfortunately had to bear the brunt of my frustration. I advised him that dog waste left on the beach was a greater health hazard than a small sewage spill a mile away. I thanked him for being a good listener and finished by saying, "maybe you should adhere to your own rules and not let dogs defecate on the beach". "Friday, I noticed on 6 occasions, dogs playing on the beach at the water line in plain sight of the lifeguards without a warning". If I had known that dogs were allowed to roam freely, I would have brought mine instead of sending her to a boarding kennel". We have our son's annual birthday party there on Labor Day weekend. Never again! We book our vacations a year in advance but decided to not book anymore vacations there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alphonso B
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your review. The 1000 block beach sites have the fences you have seen. We do plan to extend fences to more areas in our RV Resort. Our security staff is going to focus on patrols when dogs frequent those grass areas. Please call me at 949 999 3103 when you would like to book again. I will find a site (based on if available) in the 1000 block.
Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I've heard a lot of good things about this place! Not sure why... They must have stayed inside their RV their whole trip because it's pretty basic to any other RV park. They have a pool and a beach... Everything else costs an arm and a leg, i'm surprised accessing the beach and pool area isn't 35$ an hour like everything else is. Cleanliness? Eh i guess so... The staff has been nice and somewhat helpful. My major issue with this place is the internet! OMG!!! It is awful! Seriously they shouldn't advertise free wifi because you can only connect for 30-40 seconds at a time, i'm not exaggerating either... On the weekends you may as well put your laptop away because connectivity is not happening...

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Underwhelmedforsure
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you for your comments.
We have many upgrades planed for 2014 to make your experience even better.
Newport Dunes WiFi had a large increase in band-with in 2013. I will have our IT person contact you to see what happened with your WiFi experience.
Please contact me if you have any concerns anytime you stay or visit.
949 999 3103 Thank you

Reviewed 23 October 2013

You can't tell a book by the cover and you can't rely on first impressions from the outside here either. You would ever know, for example, that the 3 pages of hard and fast rules you get at checking are just not enforced. You would not believe that the required codes on restroom doors just don't work. You would not expect that the folks that clean the restrooms sign off on today and tomorrow at the same time so they only clean every other day. Wireless internet? Not if your iPad or iPhone is fairly up to date -- you will constantly be referred to the front desk for the passwords, but those passwords will never work -- be sure to bring an older laptop or forget using the internet. Oh, they promised it? Too bad for you. Employees ignore the speed limits in their trucks and carts so watch your kids and pets if you want to protect them. Go in the "pass" lane because you have a dashboard identifier? Oh, no! You will get an angry lecture from the gate person. These spaces are the narrowest I have ever seen (and watch out for that metal pipe full of concrete sticking up in your way. It isn't there for YOUR benefit. There are a few nice things about Newport Dines, but there will have to be a serious change in attitudes and management to let them shine through the filthy bathrooms and poor customer skills/service. It IS. All about the "resort" and not about those who patronize it. Good luck! Oh! Also watch out for the dog swimming in the pool.

Room Tip: Money talks. Good luck!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank prevere
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your review.
I immediately sent an email to all Department Heads your review. Early next year our restrooms are scheduled for renovation. The restroom floors will get new tile and stalls.. This year we have painted the buildings and the inside of the restrooms. WIFI was upgraded this year and the bandwidth was increased. Did you get help from the registration office? We have multiple WIFI towers to connect to depending on the section you are staying in. Our IT person has all the latest Apple products and helps guest with WIFI connection. Most of the time, guests try to connect to the wrong tower. Dogs are not allowed in the pool area and in the water (Service Dogs are allowed by law - not in pool water). Please contact me at 949 999 3103 to talk about your concerns. Thank you

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We went to Newport Dunes for a family reunion this past summer.I had been looking forward to camping there and did, Thankfully for 1 night only. It stared with bad customer service when calling in to make the reservation. It took 3 tries. then it continued at the front desk with rude services. Then our site was still occupied after check in.We checked several times with the front desk only to be told to keep checking to see if the prior tenants had left. After 3 hours of waiting they finally left. That shouldn't have been our job to keep checking up. someone in charge should have made them leave. the front desk said we would get a refund. $8.00 bucks! BIG DEAL!!! Once at the tent site, we felt like we were camping in a parking lot. The sites were so close together with the streets lined on both sides with cars. PCH right above the tents site we the fear that a car would fly off the road and land on a tent. Music and noise was still loud past midnite. No control. WIll never stay there again AND WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY OPINION WITH OtHERS.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank 1m0m0f3b0ys
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you for your review.
Your comments will be reviewed by our Executive Offices. Over the past few years we have expanded our sites and have some larger small tent sites. Please contact me at 949 999 3103 to talk more about your experience. I will review your comments with the staff to improve our service when sites don't leave on time (check out 12 noon - check in 2:00).

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I booked a campsite here several weeks prior to staying for the weekend for my daughter's birthday. My first impression of the reservation agent was not that great considering he sounded like I was "bothering" him (sounded like a punk kid in his late teens). This staff member proceeded to give me the summer rate when I had given him off-season dates, however, I didn't know this at the time. We booked a beachfront site for a fifth wheel...or so I thought. I even paid an extra $10 per night to guarantee the site a wanted. When we arrived, my husband maneuvered our 41' trailer down this narrow road to discover our campsite could not accommodate a fifth wheel..only an RV (hook-ups on wrong side). Naturally, I was not a happy camper at this point (pun intended). I called the office and they said they had another beach front site that could accommodate our trailer and that they would give us 10% off each night. Problem solved right? Wrong. This site no longer had that easy access to the water that I paid and extra $10 a night for and instead had a view of sand and the activity rentals building. I'm mad, but I decide there is nothing I can do about it and suck it up. The staff gave me one free parking pass that I requested for the trouble. I guess after paying so much money to stay at this campground, I expected more from the staff in terms of making this right. All of the people who came for my daughter's birthday (sunday) should have had parking waived as a courtesy, and perhaps they could have granted a better discount than 10%?? This was a big screw up! Would they have ever noticed that they charged me a summer rate in the off season had I not complained? Although this was such a nice place to camp, they need some work in the customer service department. If you are going to charge people that much to camp, you had better be prepared to make it right when you screw up big.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank MrsVEB
Rickab12345, Manager at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your review.
I will send you a personal email to talk more about your stay and what we can do to make it better.
Rick Vara Director RV Operations

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was my first time coming here and I was really excited. We stayed five days which the price wasn't too bad $115 a night we were only three rows from the water and it had a really nice view. The staff was really nice and accommodating and the grounds were well kept for the most part. We arrive Thursday night to see they didn't have any fire pits and if you wanted to rent one it was $35 a night I thought that was a little much and have never been to a place that didn't provide one with the site already. Friday our kids decided they wanted to play at the water park and again another fee of $35. They do have a lot of other free things but they do have a lot of "rental" fees for things. So I decided to shower in the resort showers because they are bigger than most trailers the first shower I used didn't work at all they ha poor ventilation in the facility and in two of the showers I used it appeared to have black mold spots needless to say I opted to just use my own shower after that. The beach area seemed to be a little unmaintained with sharp shells my husband and daughter both got hurt stepping on them. The main reason we came here is because it looked gorgeous and it was so close to the water which shortly change on Saturday due to the fact there was a sewage spill and the beach was shut down. No big deal right? So we decided to go to the pool and hangout because it was so hot and then someone pooped in the pool and that got shut down as well this happened not only Saturday but Sunday as well. Needless to say we tried to cool down the best we could with no beach area and no pool as well. We had spoke to the main office to ask if they were doing anything to compensate for there not being any beach AND no pool being as those were the things we paid to come enjoy and the reply was that they were not compensating anyone these things were not the resorts fault had it have been there fault they would have compensated which I understand its not their fault but we paid to stay there for these amenities we could not enjoy. We left on Monday the beach was still closed. We had been planning this trip all year and spent a lot of money to be there and was a little bummed with some of the outcomes. Would I stay there again? Despite the sewage situations in the pool and beach , shower situations, sharp shells on the beach, and rental fees it is a nice resort and the spaces are really clean so yes I would try it one more time. I just know now what things to watch for when I am there :)

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Minmin1981

Thank y for your review. This weekend was not normal for Newport Dunes Resort.
The county closed the lagoon due to a raw sewer spillage that occurred in Costa Mesa and was beyond our control. We had been in close communication with OC Health and Water Quality Department for updates during the closure. The lagoon is tested daily and whenever there’s a possibility of unhealthy situations it is closed until the readings are safe for swimming. It was reopened on Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
Unfortunately, there were incidents in the pool that could have been prevented had the guest used a baby swim diaper on their baby. But they did not and we were required we close the pool to guests. We are very aware of unacceptable water quality in the pool as well as our lagoon and we wouldn’t want anyone swimming where it isn’t safe. Measures have been taken to procure a quicker decontamination process so our guests can enjoy the pool sooner than later.
Please go to below Heal the Bay website to review Newport Dunes Resort Heal the Bay water ratings
I will also send you a personal email for your to contact me.