“Ritz Prices, Motel 6 Accomodations”

Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort
Reviewed 27 June 2006

I recently stayed at the Newport Dunes in one of the "Luxury Cottages" on the beach. We paid $385 per night for a cottage that was described to sleep 6 and have a full kitchen. I would not recommend renting these cottages unless Newport Dunes significantly lowers the price and you arrive with pretty low expectations.

Our kitchen had a microwave and toaster oven. The website advertised a "full kitchen" and showed a kitchen that did not look anything like the one we had. We had no cooking utencils other than a few forks, spoons and two butter knifes. When I asked for a knife in order to slice up some fruit, I was told no. For $385 dollars a night, I should not have to beg for cutlery. There was also rat droppings in one of the bottom drawers in the kitchen.

The bathroom was cramped and if you were over 5'8 you could not stand up in the shower. The shower curtain was too large for the tiny shower and layed in a big heap on the shower floor while you tried to take a shower. But the good news is you ran out of hot water so fast, that you took a pretty quick shower and could untangle your feet from the shower curtain in no time.

The pull out sofa sleeper was so uncomfortable that one of us slept on the hard floor the first night. Like most people, I do not expect a pull out sofa to be really comfortable, but this one was unusable. The loft consists of a hard plywood floor with no pads or mattresses. For $385 a night, we assummed the sleeping arrangements would be adequate. They were awful and we ended up purchasing an air bed just to make it through the stay. The resort did provide linens and blankets which were clean and in good shape. There are no closets, no hangers, no dressers and no place to put duffle bags, suitcases, etc. except on the floor around the bed.

If we paid $100 per night, I may not be that upset about it. But we paid a lot of money for a cottage that was more like a "camping cabin".

The beach at Newport Dunes is part of the "back bay", which means it is a man made lagoon type beach. Three storm drain outfalls were located on the beach and clearly labeled. For some strange reason, the resort sets up the "kids water park" right next to these storm drain pipes. Storm drains serving urban areas such as Newport Beach tend to collect water polluted with oils, pesticides, and other contaminants. I would not expect the water to be very clean, and it was not. There was a lot of green algae growing in the water, black looking muck under the sand and it smelled bad.

The pool was nice and the movies they showed on the beach on the huge blow up screen were also kind of cool. However, it does not make up for the horrible cottage and the misleading advertising on the Newport Dunes website.

If you like tons of people in cramped spaces, this place is for you. If you like a lot of rules and signs telling you want you can and can not do, this is a good place for you. If you enjoy swimming in toxic looking stagnant water, you will love Newport Dunes. If you like feeling totally ripped off, I highly recommed the place. However, the Hyatt Regency is just up the street for half the price.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank lb_tidwell
There are newer reviews for Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort

Corona, California
Reviewed 31 May 2005

I went with a group of 6 families. All with kids of all ages. The staff was very nice, but the place is not near worth the price. The security guards go around hasling everyone for no reason. The activities are scarce and the lagoon is gross. The smallest campsites I ever stayed in and no parking for your tow vehicle, golf cart or bicycle anywhere. I would not recommend this place or go back.
Mark it up to "Been there, done that."

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed 13 June 2004

This August will be our 9th year! This is the vacation we all look forward to each year. They are now teenagers and love the dance on Thursday... (should have the dance on a weekend night also). The adults are able relax, make friends and enjoy the activities in the club house. The younger kids are safe, lots of activities for them too. I would recommend Newport Dunes to adults and families alike.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Moreno Valley, CA
Reviewed 31 December 2003

We stayed one night in June 2003 to test out our new pop-up trailer. We liked the location in Newport Beach off Pacific Coast Hwy, Bay, Restaurant at the Marina, Beach, Walks. Didn't like public bathrooms (dirty and smelly), rv lots (close to each other and no privacy) - had to move due to cigarette smokers, late arrivals allowed after 11PM, birds in trees near beach extremely noisy (didn't sleep at all).

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Reviewed 14 September 2003

My family and I stayed at the Newport Dunes for a week. We stayed through the 4th of July, and had the best time. The staff was very polite and eager to help in any way. The fireworks display was the best I had every seen. The RV sites were comfortable and very clean. Unlike another review that I read, the pool was a great place to relax and our picnic table was in excellent condition. I would recommend this resort to anyone that likes to camp in style and comfort.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phelan, California
Reviewed 24 July 2003

We have had a wonderful time at Newport Dunes this summer! We visited
friends there on the 4th. Hmmm...we didn't get there till late on the
4th and still got tickets to the water park.

We also stayed there two long weekends on July 11-13 and July 18-21. Which by the way were sold out weekends as well! The kids had so much fun that we have reservations also for August 8-12 and August 22-25. We played all day at the water park, swam back and forth to the whale, kayaked the bay, rode bikes on the trail, swam in the pool, ate ice cream, played in the game room and had a ball. For sold out weekends...it didn't appear to be overcrowded...try going to Mountain Lakes Resort of Distinction in Lytle creek on a sold out weekend!

It's too bad the previous visitors had a "murphy" week. None of the events sound too serious. This is a really big park and sometimes things happen. Moving a picnic table during a very busy weekend wouldn't be top priority in my book. The sites are absolutely spotless and everything works perfectly.

As for the pool...well, it isn't crystal clear...but, think about it...the pool is at the beach...people are wearing gobs of sunblock...a water polluter...and we watched countless people come in right off the beach and jumped in to rinse off the sand...think about it salt in the sand is a solute that means it dissolves in the solvent (the water!) and gives it a cloudy appearance. I watched the lifeguards on both weekends check the water chemistry on a number of occasions throughout the day...Now, I would prefer that if it was off, there was too much sand (meaning it got too cloudy to see the bottom of the pool), or someone pukes...etc..that they close the pool and fix it rather than someone(s) getting sick, drowning...I know it is disappointing that it is closed when "you" want to swim...but, I am sure there was a very good reason.

If I was to have a complaint it would be that some people drive way to fast in a resort filled with young kids...SLOW DOWN PLEASE!

We take our three kids to all kinds of resorts all year long...this IS the Ritz of RV resorts...you won't find a place cleaner and with more things for kids and families to do than here! Don't let a sour apple spoil your fun...Go and enjoy! We have met all kinds of wonderful people there from all over the United States and I am sure you will to.

J & P

P.S. If you want to have a late lunch or early dinner and take the kids
somewhere cool to eat go to Joe's Crab Shack in Newport right on P.C.H.
When you leave the resort go right on Jamboree and then right on P.C.H.
and it will be on your left right near the Rusty Pelican. It is casual
dress, it has a kids menu, but, the crabs, shrimp...etc is to die for!
We had the Lousiana Broil...I can't wait to have it again. The kids
will love the decor and it's very kid friendly...you'll love being
right on the harbor/water. Prices for good meal are about $14-16.00.
Don't go during prime eating hours or parking will be a new
challenge!!!

Water park is kind of expensive! $10 one hour, $15 two hours and $25
all day. Not much to do for the cost...jump on a floating trampoline,
climb the iceberg and slide down, or play on floating teetertotter. I
paid for all day but, my kids played on it for about an hour...they had
fun...but, had just as much fun climbing on the whale and that's free!.

Hope this helps you decide :-) Good luck!

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lake Elsinore, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2003

WEe stayed here July 4 Weekend. They dont know how to handle the crowds. At 10 am we werent allowed to swim because too crowded, water park was sold out at 10:30. We had an unusable table at our site. We requested new one right away. We were told we have to wait until next day because they dont have enough employees to bring another. Didnt get one next day either. Called and they said they were out of tables. I informed them they had 3 vacant sites w/ good tables. They told me to go get it myself or wait until next day. Next day still no table. I called to get the pool hours and asked if it would be closed again for cleaning. I was told it was open. Got 3 kids ready and walked to pool to find it closed for cleaning. Was very irritated at this time and went to office. Iwas told by Mgr. Chris pool would open in 30 min.(same Mgr who wouldnt get me a good table) Another Mgr. Rick gave 1 night credit but he was making excuses for problems instead of accepting responsibility. We would not recomend this park for families who want to actually use the amenities you are paying for!

26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member