“We are here almost weekly”
Review of A Restaurant

A Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
A Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
newport beach, ca
“We are here almost weekly”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

OK, where to start...? First go during happy hour... Next get the burger with blue cheese/arugula, next the sushi on fried cucumber,,,, Anything after that... the drinks (we're not drinkers) are more an experience... taste wunderlust, than a drink...

Visited December 2012

Laguna Beach, California
“Am I Too Old For This?”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

First off, let me tell you that I am in my early 60's. Not young, but not that old either. I had been to this restaurant several times in the past and had a good experience. But either it has changed or I have changed. I'm mad at myself for not doing anything about it, but my husband and I took another couple with us and I didn't want to make waves. But I should have. We paid almost $200 for 4 of us and we all left unhappy. We had to shout to hear ourselves in our booth. We were tired of screaming by the time we left. When the waiter came to ask us how things were, we couldn't hear him. He said, "yes, it's very loud in here." My local swordfish was good.($27) my husbands pork loin was not cooked enough so he ate around the middle. What should have been a lovely long dinner was over in 1 1/2 hours, back into our cars and driving home. They charge $4 to valet park, too. There are two rooms and we should have asked to be moved, but we didn't. Our fault. We won't be going back.

• Visited November 2012
Laguna Beach, California
“An old Newport Beach Throwback”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Have not been to this location for 30 years when it was the Arches and truly don't think it has changed much in appearance. Same booth type eating. The service was very attentive although less formal. No Tuxedos. Every dish from the salad to the yummy dessert got great reviews from all at the tables. The beet salad was great, the steack reported to me to be the best she had from a real meat eater! I had chicken which was organic and very well cooked but I think this is really a steak house,

• Visited November 2012
Huntington Beach, California
“A MARKET is a local secret”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Right next door to A Restaurant is A Market, a lovely little breakfast and lunch cafe, where you can get beautiful pastries, croissants and breads, breakfast sandwiches, granola with berries, lattes and other coffee drinks,sandwiches, salads, picnic food and supplies, etc. There is a long table where locals congregate to chat and read the paper in the morning and little french style cafe tables. I had a bread pudding and some berries with my coffee. You don't even get a sense of this place from the A Restaurant website. So the pleasant little cafe is a big surprise when you walk in.

• Visited July 2012
Redlands, California
“Overpriced sports bar”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

If you like a dark noisy pricey sportsbar kind of restaurant, then this is your place.

We got fish, hearts of palms salad, side of asparagus, side of macaroni and cheese, and the cheese selection of 3. The fish was good, but not astounding (not up to the price level). The hearts of palms salad had a nice presentation, but wasn't anything I'd come back for. The asparagus were large, tough, and overcooked (definitely a sad limp waste of $7!). The macaroni and cheese was good, but nothing noteable. The cheese platter was good.

All said and done, not bad, just not great and a disappointment for the price.