“Truly Average: Some Pros, Some Cons”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'm a Gold elite and stayed on a Carlson points award.

The location is great - close to everything in mid-Orange County and free parking never hurts! Some people get thrown off by the name of the hotel. The name of the city is Newport Beach, so some people expect the hotel to be right next to the ocean. I think "Airport" could be added to avoid some confusion.

Service is also excellent. Every single employee I interacted with was pleasant, from the front desk to housekeeping to the people maintaining the club lounge.

Got upgraded to the 6th floor which has access to the club lounge. The room was tiny - one queen bed and a tiny cramped bathroom. Also, strangely it had connecting doors on both sides (I've never seen that before, usually on one side or another). It didn't help that the walls were paper thin - the guy in the room next to me decided to hop on the phone at 7 am and chatted for a good half hour - I heard his voice through the walls and under the poorly insulated connecting door. Heard lots of sneezing from the person in the room on the opposite side through the other connecting door/wall.

Not terribly clean and not terribly dirty. Saw a number of water cup stains on the table, desk, side tables. Some sticky residue on the table next to the bed. Random hairs from prior guests strategically popping out at random in various parts of the bathroom - some in the tub, some around the sink, one popped out of a towel. No major dealbreaker but not too pleasant either.

Didn't receive the in-room welcome gift that Gold elites are supposed to get, but glad for the higher floor and club access. The club is very small - the size of two small rooms combined, and the selection was about continental level, but got the job done.

Wifi is slow as usual for most hotels - too slow to get anything moderately productive done, but luckily I had a wireless card!

So, good if you have Carlson points to burn and don't want to pay atrocious parking rates at the hotels near South Coast Plaza. But expect about an average stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rlee508

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here for the great price with my family of four. Parking is free. Avoid getting a room on the east tower. The east tower will expose you to the sounds of airplanes taking off. In addition on Friday and Saturday there is night club that is blasting music through 1am. We switched to another room after two nights of club music. The pool looked nice but we were too busy going to the disneyland and the beach. There are great restaurants in Costa Mesa but the choices in this part of Newport Beach was not interesting. Even though it's in Newport Beach, it's really "Airport" Beach if you ask me. Also notice that this hotel has no art on the walls.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovegoogle
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Perfect hotel stay- great staff, clean room, convenient location. Complimentary coffee available at 5:30am. The front desk staff went above and beyond to ensure I had a wonderful experience. It started with a welcoming call from Eduardo, to
the assistant front desk manager helping me at checking. It was a perfect stay, and I recommend this hotel to any business traveler or vacationer.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My girlfriend and I had been looking forward to our anniversary weekend for well over two months. Peace and quiet combined with good food and sans the normal pressure of the day to day. Upon arrival at the hotel we had booked in advance we were loath to discover that the hotel had overbooked and that the suite I had booked THREE months earlier wouldn't be available until Sunday. Needless to say I was furious and after the manager's apologies and refunding of our reservation I was stuck with the task of finding us new lodging at 9:45 at night. After firing up the smartphone and a quick perusing of online reviews we settled on the Newport Beach Radisson. From the moment I called I was reassured that we would be taken care of and in less than ten minutes, I had a confirmed reservation and we were on our way. The polite and professional staff welcomed us and had us checked in immediately. The room we received was better than the suite I had previously reserved and on a quiet floor on the upper levels of the hotel. My girlfriend and I were free to enjoy the rest of our weekend thanks to the amazing staff at the Radisson. They have made me a repeat customer and I look forward to the next time my girlfriend and I will stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a basic hotel that is comfortable, easy to reach from the Orange County Airport. The desk staff was helpful and the rooms were cleaned fairly early in the day. We did not eat at their restaurant, because there were a number of other fast food and sit-down dining places within a short walk or drive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Check in was friendly and pretty quick, acknowledged and thanked that I was a frequent guest of chain, although first time at this property.

My room was standard size, small balcony overlooking the roof and some buildings.
High floor at concierge level. Not too much airplane noise since I was on opposite side.

Bathroom was basic but clean. Room had a mini fridge. Room was very comfortable, also the bed was comfortable.

I liked the decor of hotel, large lobby, filled with light due to skylights and atrium, flowers everywhere. It has floral patterns and light pine trim. It is well kept.

I had access to club lounge, which breakfast was basic, but pretty good quality. They had starbucks coffee which I love. Fresh fruit, pastries, and some hot items.

Although hotel is called Newport Beach, it is very far from beach, and shuttle does not take you there. It is in front of Santa Ana Airport, so should be renamed airport hotel.

Parking is free, there is valet parking.

Hotel is located close to highway.

The outdoor pool was really nice, and hot tub was really hot.

I was wowed with welcome letter, and welcome gift of wine and two level cheese and dessert tray. Very generous.

Overall fantastic stay, I appreciate hotels that welcome frequent guests.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: Not close to beach, but in front of airport. Free Parking. Ask for room on other side of airport to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ORD-TGU
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel itself is awesome. Rooms are big and fresh, views are great (get a higher floor), beds can be adjusted to be softer or harder, and they were very comfortable to sleep in. I want a bed like that at home :)
The hotel staff is very, very friendly, were ready to help with every issue.
Spa is ok, pool is ok, plenty of parking at no extra charge, and right next to the airport.
The neighborhood is safe and nice, a lot of attractions are nearby, Disneyland, UC Irvine and ocean front are all within 10 mile radius. It's not walking distance, but close.

Tip: before you book, sign up for Radisson reward program. They have deals like "stay 3 nights and get 1 free". Might help pay your bill on a longer stay.

Room Tip: Before you book, sign up for Radisson reward program. They have deals like "stay 3 nights and g...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family