“Decent three star hotel”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We ended up staying at the Radisson after bidding on a hotwire hotel in "Newport Beach", with the name of the hotel to be revealed later. I still don't get how this is Newport Beach. It's about 10-15 minutes away from what anyone would consider Newport Beach. Not the hotel's fault, just keep it in mind when booking. Great if you're going to the airport - which my family and I were not.

The front desk people were very nice, with check-in/check-out taking less than a minute total. You also get free wi-fi with your stay.

The hotel itself is nice, but a little dated. The room was clean and simple, but had all your basic amenities, as well as a fridge and coffee machine. The beds were also comfy. Two things that ruined the experience a bit: both the phone and the radio started to beep and go off in the middle of the night, at different times. We joked there was a ghost in our room, as we checked them and both seemed to be working fine.

This Radisson is a three star property, and if you keep that in mind when staying there, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank faithc

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

From the free shuttle service and eye appealing lobby to the clean, well decorated room (comfy beds) and friendly staff, I was very impressed. I stayed here 5 days while visiting family and found the location convenient and airport noise minimal. (This could be because I was on the second floor and sounds were absorbed.) There are several restaurants very nearby (including a Benihana Steakhouse) and an amazing nail salon (Luxury Spa and Salon) within walking distance that offered the BEST mani/pedi I've ever had (including upscale salons) for a reasonable price. I will definitely stay at this Radisson Hotel on future trips!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'm a Gold elite and stayed on a Carlson points award.

The location is great - close to everything in mid-Orange County and free parking never hurts! Some people get thrown off by the name of the hotel. The name of the city is Newport Beach, so some people expect the hotel to be right next to the ocean. I think "Airport" could be added to avoid some confusion.

Service is also excellent. Every single employee I interacted with was pleasant, from the front desk to housekeeping to the people maintaining the club lounge.

Got upgraded to the 6th floor which has access to the club lounge. The room was tiny - one queen bed and a tiny cramped bathroom. Also, strangely it had connecting doors on both sides (I've never seen that before, usually on one side or another). It didn't help that the walls were paper thin - the guy in the room next to me decided to hop on the phone at 7 am and chatted for a good half hour - I heard his voice through the walls and under the poorly insulated connecting door. Heard lots of sneezing from the person in the room on the opposite side through the other connecting door/wall.

Not terribly clean and not terribly dirty. Saw a number of water cup stains on the table, desk, side tables. Some sticky residue on the table next to the bed. Random hairs from prior guests strategically popping out at random in various parts of the bathroom - some in the tub, some around the sink, one popped out of a towel. No major dealbreaker but not too pleasant either.

Didn't receive the in-room welcome gift that Gold elites are supposed to get, but glad for the higher floor and club access. The club is very small - the size of two small rooms combined, and the selection was about continental level, but got the job done.

Wifi is slow as usual for most hotels - too slow to get anything moderately productive done, but luckily I had a wireless card!

So, good if you have Carlson points to burn and don't want to pay atrocious parking rates at the hotels near South Coast Plaza. But expect about an average stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rlee508
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here for the great price with my family of four. Parking is free. Avoid getting a room on the east tower. The east tower will expose you to the sounds of airplanes taking off. In addition on Friday and Saturday there is night club that is blasting music through 1am. We switched to another room after two nights of club music. The pool looked nice but we were too busy going to the disneyland and the beach. There are great restaurants in Costa Mesa but the choices in this part of Newport Beach was not interesting. Even though it's in Newport Beach, it's really "Airport" Beach if you ask me. Also notice that this hotel has no art on the walls.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovegoogle
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Perfect hotel stay- great staff, clean room, convenient location. Complimentary coffee available at 5:30am. The front desk staff went above and beyond to ensure I had a wonderful experience. It started with a welcoming call from Eduardo, to
the assistant front desk manager helping me at checking. It was a perfect stay, and I recommend this hotel to any business traveler or vacationer.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My girlfriend and I had been looking forward to our anniversary weekend for well over two months. Peace and quiet combined with good food and sans the normal pressure of the day to day. Upon arrival at the hotel we had booked in advance we were loath to discover that the hotel had overbooked and that the suite I had booked THREE months earlier wouldn't be available until Sunday. Needless to say I was furious and after the manager's apologies and refunding of our reservation I was stuck with the task of finding us new lodging at 9:45 at night. After firing up the smartphone and a quick perusing of online reviews we settled on the Newport Beach Radisson. From the moment I called I was reassured that we would be taken care of and in less than ten minutes, I had a confirmed reservation and we were on our way. The polite and professional staff welcomed us and had us checked in immediately. The room we received was better than the suite I had previously reserved and on a quiet floor on the upper levels of the hotel. My girlfriend and I were free to enjoy the rest of our weekend thanks to the amazing staff at the Radisson. They have made me a repeat customer and I look forward to the next time my girlfriend and I will stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a basic hotel that is comfortable, easy to reach from the Orange County Airport. The desk staff was helpful and the rooms were cleaned fairly early in the day. We did not eat at their restaurant, because there were a number of other fast food and sit-down dining places within a short walk or drive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends