Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed there with a friend and got a secret deal on priceline for 60USD pretty big rooms, free (not ultrafast) wifi and free parking made the stay pretty ok. mike on the frontdesk was very helpful and the grab and go breakfast should have some juices at least.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed our great value and friendly staff, especially Mike. Thank you again for the kind words. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The location is very convenient; however, the hotel is a bit older than we thought. The Internet was very slow even that we could not view a youtube video. They offer free parking which is great in that area and grab and go breakfast with very limited options, I could only have a cup of tea and a banana. They put us a room on the first floor which we had to request to change due to many reasons. Windows were not clean, there was this smell all around. We were moved to a way better room on the second floor. I would consider other options if I have to stay in that area again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor might be in poor condition.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GNZ_M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the condition of the room on the first floor was subpar; I was happy to read, however, you found the second floor rooms better. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will implement a more detailed inspection process to assure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at laa@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a family emergency and had to find temporary housing in a quick pinch and our visit did last for a few months. The staff became like family. Though they couldn't fix every situation as some were beyond their control, they tried. The biggest fault I found was the overall cleanliness of the interior and exterior cleanliness. However, I do not fault the hotel, as the staff is trying to operate on the budget allowed by the owner. Considering what they endure every day to try to meet every need of every guest, I believe they are doing a very good job. We've appreciated the staff during such a tough time and think fondly of them. Not once do we come through the front door that they are not there to greet you with a smiling face and a "welcome home" feel. Thanks for working with us through this difficult time. We've appreciated you, Rus and the gang, and know you made the best of a tough situation for a family.

Room Tip: There are large handicap rooms if you ask in advanced. During this process, I had to have major surg...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies regarding the cleanliness of the interior and exterior of the hotel; we strive to make sure that we provide every guest a clean, comfortable place to stay. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide accommodation you during your emergency visit to the area.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We used this as a base of operations for a dance workshop nearby. We didn't miss having a pool because we would not have been around when most hotels' pools are open. Having a kitchen was very handy returning to the room at 2 or 3 in the morning, needing to eat. For us not having maid service was a good thing, as we were not awakened by housekeeping. But, if you want your beds made up or fresh towels delivered, this is not the place for you. The staff was very friendly and gave us fresh towels, etc. when asked, and took care of the smokers in the room across from us (it was the non-smoking wing). But, they were under-staffed and I did have to wait a long time for help due to this.The bed was comfortable and the air-conditioner worked well, despite the heat-wave.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that the in room kitchen was convenient for your needs. Also, I am glad that the staff provided you with great customer service. I apologize for the delay in addressing your issue but, I am pleased to read that we did get them rectified .

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My sister and I were in town for the weekend for my little brother's graduation at UC Irvine. We wanted to find a descent hotel (one that was not too expensive but not too cheap) we wanted to spurge more on shopping & food since we are not in southern California that often. We had booked the Vegabond hotel for one night and I was NOT impressed, so that day I decided to go with Extended America since I had a really GOOD experience with the one located in Fresno, CA. The Extended America was all booked in Irvine, so I went with the next nearest one which was this one located in Newport Beach.

I booked a two queen size beds and loved the look of the room just as I did with the one in Fresno, CA. The place was clean & tidy! My sister was getting ready to take a shower before heading out for dinner with the rest of the family....as my sister was turning on the shower, the biggest noise I've ever heard rumbled the hotel room, I thought the pipes were about to burst. I intermediately walked down to the front desk and as I was walking I guess my sister kept on turning on the shower to see if the noise had stop because I could hear the noise loudly down the hallway. When I got down to the front desk and told the guy upfront about the loud noise, he told us that they had, had that problem for awhile but that it was safe to take a shower. I walked back to my room and told my sister what the guy had told me. We felt really uncomfortable about taking a shower with all the noise, so I called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room. I was told all rooms were booked. So my sister and I decided that we were going to head over to the hotel my brothers were staying at to take a shower.

I was NOT very happy about paying for a hotel room and not being able to take a shower! I went and asked for a discount on the hotel stay, since we weren't able to use the shower, which the front desk guy agreed to do.

Overall, my stay here was good, but the no shower put a damper in my experience there. The beds were comfy, internet was at full speed, the air conditioner was awesome, and I enjoyed watching the TV as they had some great channels. The guy upfront was nice and did not argue with my complaint. However, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again until they figure out & fix the huge noise coming out of the shower when you turn it on.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies the shower did not function properly; we are in the process of rectifying this issue in the hotel. Still, we are pleased to know that we were able to provide an overall satisfying stay with us. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

So.... It looks good on the outside, but it's a dump on the inside! Our air conditioner stopped working , and we called the front desk, " Maurice" was going to try to fix it, but he never came! And the unit kept clicking on and off all night! It was soo noisy ! Nothing is close to this hotel. No restraunts or bars. It's not worth the money!!! The sheets and towels are stained , and the bed is hard as a rock! We stayed labor day weekend... Not worth it!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Amarie777
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the air conditioner is truly regrettable and we apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I will be sharing your comments with our staff along with additional training in all departments to assure future guests do not relive your experience. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at laa@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

This hotel advertises everywhere "free Internet" -- and it has signs on the door and in the rooms. But when you actually get here it turns out they throttle the Internet. I did a speed test and it was .30 and .38 megabits coming down -- very, very slow. And there's no choice of plugging into wired Internet.

They demand that you pay a surcharge to upgrade to an average acceptable speed -- and they have several tiers. So if you need decent Internet then the rate is misleading because the Internet is so slow it won't even play videos or download a newspaper without freezing.

Furthermore, the signal was weak and I ultimately had to use my phone as a hotspot. When I called the desk they said, "I'm sorry, sir, there's nothing we can do."

In addition, there is no shampoo, no pen, nothing to write on.

It does have a two burner stove, a fridge, and a sink -- that's of course what they advertise (and I didn't need it for my stay)

Sorry I didn't pay 10 bucks more and stay elsewhere. I consider the Internet a necessity. This is misleading advertising and a bait and switch. i won't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank brussels13
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that our free WiFi internet speed did not meet your expectations during your stay. In response to your feedback, I am sharing your comments with our internet provider so that we can resolve this issue. As well, we do offer the upgraded WiFi service for a minimal fee which offers a faster speed that may have better met your needs.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at laa@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.