“Home away from home”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The villa's are all two bedroom two bathroom with balcony. The balcony is perfect for eating breakfast and lunch. If you are coming here, pack a "spring float" flotation raft for the pool. If you don't own one, go online and do a google search. Plenty of online sellers. They cost about 30 dollars each. Buy one or two if coming with someone else. Your pool experience will be 100% improved by having them. If flying here, they will fit in the bottom of suitcase. They fold up and can easily be packed. The rooms all have magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean.
Perfect location between Newport Beach and Laguna beach.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed for the first time at the Newport Coast Marriott Vacation Club. The pools and activities for children were amazing for Bella (9) and Evan (8). The access to small, quaint CA coast towns nearby was wonderful.

You need to rent a car when you come here. The ocean access was disappointing but it was not easy but the stunning views almost compensated for it.

Our bottom floor room had ants in it but the staff addressed it right away and impressively.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas as guests of owners. We stayed for a week this past week. The owner is my sister-in-law who has been an owner for over a decade. We stayed in the Cambria building, 2nd floor villa. The property is very nice. All amenities were provided, which made things so much easier. I would add that providing hand soap for the kitchen would be a nice touch. There were just a few things that I noticed in the room. One, there were food crumbs in the kitchen drawers. Two, the top rack of the dishwasher was hard to roll in an rout. Three, the large pyrex measuring cup shattered while in use, which was a total surprise. Upon inspection of the smaller Pyrex measuring cup, I noticed that it was warped at the bottom, rendering it unsafe to use. I noted all of these items in the check out slip that I left on the door handle upon check-out.
The beds are very comfortable. The sofas in the villa were strange. The cushions kept sliding out. I had to push them in all of the time.
The 2nd floor is nice, you do have an ocean view. I would avoid the first floor. Little to no ocean view. But there is view of landscape, which obstructs the ocean view. This property is on a bluff, it is not ocean front. The only drawback front the second floor, is you get the noise from the 3rd floor. The other drawback is that some of the trees from the landscape have grown up to the second floor and they obstruct the ocean view.
There are some items that need improvement. First of all, Marriott needs to do better to enforce its own rules. First, about no dogs allowed. I saw two different people with dogs at the event lawn. These were not service dogs. And, I noticed a tremendous number of people using the pools with no wrist bands. I saw a lot of people letting their guests in to the pool. Large numbers of people, especially at the pool by the tennis courts. I must say I was terribly offended by some of the guest's behavior. Ghetto, low class. I don't know how much control Marriott has over who rents their villas, but Marriott does have control to enforce rules once these people get on property. A lot of drinking and partying going on even around small children. The behavior of some of these people is gross. Not picking up garbage after themselves, yelling at their kids, kids running around loud and unsupervised. While by and large there were a large number of families behaving themselves, there were a lot of undesirable people that I would not choose to spend my vacation around. I saw one mom leave her toddler alone and unsupervised, while she disappeared for about ten minutes. I saw another mom yell and degrade her kids, which to me bordered on child abuse. Marriott, please supervise your facilities better. Send people around to make sure people are behaving properly so that all guests may enjoy the resort experience. The whole time I was there I only saw one instance of security asking someone for their wrist band, this was at Pacific Park, where clearly an intoxicated man was being obnoxious.
My further complaint is about the staff. By far the friendliest and most helpful staff were the poolside staff. I thought the front desk staff were nice. The concierge was so so. The house keeping staff was pretty shy. I tried to say hello, but the ones that I encountered avoided me. I thought the people at the showroom were apathetic. At the family welcome event i asked to look at the show room, the young man sent me inside to concierge. At concierge the gentleman said he couldn't help me and left it at that. Didn't go the extra step to find me someone who could. I was genuinely interested in finding out about ownership opportunities since I had missed the Thursday wine tasting.
There are some other items that could be improved. First of all, the disabled parking spaces in the parking lots outside of the registration area, need to be repainted. The blue designation is faded away and I saw an awful lot of people without disabled placards or plates parking there. While I noticed disabled guests struggling to find parking. Parking by the villas fills up. Second, while shuttle service is available, who wants to wait on a shuttle each and every time you want to go to the main pool and surrounding areas. It would be more convenient for guests if more walking trails could be carved out so you don't have to walk around large loops of property to get from location to location.
Finally, the quiet pools are a joke. They are running rampant with loud and unsupervised kid. I noticed many unhappy guests because of this. These quiet areas need to be supervised better. And, the pools are crowded, Marriott might want to consider limiting the size of water toys. While the beach ball and kids with arm floaties are understandable, some folks were going in with flotation devices the size of flotillas.

So, all in all, I'm only giving one star because of the low class quality and behavior of many of the guests and the shortfalls of the staff to get control of this. Unfortunately, this over shadows the amenities, which are very nice.

Come on Marriott, you can do better. I like the Marriott brand. I was disappointed here, though.
I'm not expecting the Ritz Carlton experience. But I am expecting a family friendly experience.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor if possible. Second floor is okay, but trees may obstruct your view. First f...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank connie1968
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The first impression of this place is fantastic. The main building and the views are breathtaking. Overall, this resort is first class all the way around. The pools and workout room are both very nice. The food at the pool bar was good but it typically took a while to get it. The prices at the marketplace were reasonable but there also is a grocery store just a few miles away. The park area at the resort was really nice with a playground for toddlers, putting greens, basketball hoops, fire pits, etc. The kids activity area was the nicest I've seen at any MVC's and had good games for the kids, movie theatre, etc. The only drawback of this resort is that it's not right on the beach. We ventured over to Crystal Cove Beach which is about a 10-15 minute walk and I was not impressed. The views are nice but too much seaweed and tons of sand flies. If you just go a few miles south down PCH, Laguna Beach is much, much nicer in my opinion. Lot's of great restaurants within a few short miles all around the resort. It's a real easy 25 minute drive to Disney and Balboa Island is only about 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jlhoward14
Reviewed 10 August 2014

These 2 bedroom villas are located in Newport Beach on beautifully landscaped grounds over the coast and a close walk or ride to the beach. The rooms are simple but have full kitchen, sitting area, tvs, 2 bathrooms, patio and everything you need to feel like you live in the OC. Perfect for staying with family and enjoying sunny california. Lots of activities avaible on site as well from outdoor pool tables to swimming. I did a little trip report if you need more info on chiliandtart.tumblr.com hope that helps

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have stayed at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas on a couple of occasions with my parents who had a time share with Marriott. We have always enjoyed our stay as it is so clean, the grounds well maintained, great customer service, beautiful location with ocean views and it is a perfect place for couples and families. We always hate to leave when the time comes for our vacation to come to an end.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank agnetha2011
Reviewed 9 August 2014

There are many great things about the Marriott Newport Coast Villas.
Did have a slight problem that was resolved very quickly by Heather who
was the front desk manager. She was caring and totally understanding.
This is a wonderful property that is kept well. The friendliness of the workers and staff
is a credit to the employees themselves as well as Marriott's training program.
The pool was clean and clear. The food served by the pool was quite good and the
drinks were excellent.the staff around the pool were efficient and courteous.
The parking can be a little tough as some guests take up more than their allocated spots.
They have different parking for outside guest.
They have a quiet pool and a quiet spa. Most people do observe that but you always have
the loudmouths that don't believe in rules.
It's a shame they don't have a dinner location on sight as that would be great to be able to have dinner without leaving.
Marriott has barbaque grills that are cleaned everyday even though this time we didn't use one.
The rooms are spacious and are quite comfortable. The kitchen is supplied with everything you need to cook.
Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#11 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!