“What a great place”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Roseland
“What a great place”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A couple of years ago we past this resort and thought it was great overlooking the Cove and if we went back to SoCal we would look to stay there. We found a unit from a great guy this summer. We were guaranteed an Ocean view and let me tell you - having breakfast overlooking the ocean every morning is something I truly miss - it was great. Equally great were the views of the sunset. The hotel is well located and has shuttles to the beach - probably could run a little more frequently though. Our 2 bedroom villa was awesome and we were even in a secluded wing so there was nobody around our room at all. The property has grills, 5 pools, firepits and an assortment of activities. Staff was great. Having the beach right there with Crystal Coves was a treat and many famous beaches were a short distance. Really a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor ocean view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Korean first
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed for a week with my wife and three daughters. The villas are really confortable. All that you can expect form a Marriott Vacation resort. The view are very nice. The location is very nice very close too many charming beach villas. We spend most of the time away from the hotel but it was a beautiful place to come back to rest at the end of the day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Although I only live 10 minutes away, my long-time girlfriends and I sometimes rent a two bedroom and have a girl's weekend. I've never stayed here in the summer, but it truly is a great place to stay, especially for families wanting a beach vacation in a beautiful location.
The rooms are huge, have a full kitchen and a couch that makes into a very comfortable bed. The pool area and all the outdoor activities a family could participate in are endless! Plus, there is a shuttle down to Crystal Cove State Beach, which is a gorgeous beach!
Any family could easily spend a week here and still want to stay longer.
Another added bonus of the location is that you're very close to great shopping, restaurants, biking and walking trails, and other charming beach cities like Laguna Beach and Corona Del Mar.
The ONLY reason I didn't give the Marriot Villas five stars is that our room was not ready at the 4:00 check-in time and they were knocking on our door very early to tell us that we needed to be out by 10:00 a.m. For $700 a night, you'd think they'd give you a little more time to enjoy your stay and would not be knocking on your door to get you out, especially when they didn't even have your room ready in time. I found it to be very rude.
So, I guess your best bet is to stay longer and request a room that is not on the first floor (kindof loud) It really is a fantastic location and beautiful resort.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fieldtravels
Michigan
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a 2 bedroom villa on the timeshare sales pitch promotion. Great deal! Convenient to the freeways, Albertsons grocery store, and about 45 minute drive to Disneyland. Perfect for our family of 4. Saved money by cooking a few meals in our kitchen, and did a load of laundry in our villa the last night.

• Stayed August 2014
los angeles
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The villa's are all two bedroom two bathroom with balcony. The balcony is perfect for eating breakfast and lunch. If you are coming here, pack a "spring float" flotation raft for the pool. If you don't own one, go online and do a google search. Plenty of online sellers. They cost about 30 dollars each. Buy one or two if coming with someone else. Your pool experience will be 100% improved by having them. If flying here, they will fit in the bottom of suitcase. They fold up and can easily be packed. The rooms all have magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean.
Perfect location between Newport Beach and Laguna beach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Chisholm, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed for the first time at the Newport Coast Marriott Vacation Club. The pools and activities for children were amazing for Bella (9) and Evan (8). The access to small, quaint CA coast towns nearby was wonderful.

You need to rent a car when you come here. The ocean access was disappointing but it was not easy but the stunning views almost compensated for it.

Our bottom floor room had ants in it but the staff addressed it right away and impressively.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas as guests of owners. We stayed for a week this past week. The owner is my sister-in-law who has been an owner for over a decade. We stayed in the Cambria building, 2nd floor villa. The property is very nice. All amenities were provided, which made things so much easier. I would add that providing hand soap for the kitchen would be a nice touch. There were just a few things that I noticed in the room. One, there were food crumbs in the kitchen drawers. Two, the top rack of the dishwasher was hard to roll in an rout. Three, the large pyrex measuring cup shattered while in use, which was a total surprise. Upon inspection of the smaller Pyrex measuring cup, I noticed that it was warped at the bottom, rendering it unsafe to use. I noted all of these items in the check out slip that I left on the door handle upon check-out.
The beds are very comfortable. The sofas in the villa were strange. The cushions kept sliding out. I had to push them in all of the time.
The 2nd floor is nice, you do have an ocean view. I would avoid the first floor. Little to no ocean view. But there is view of landscape, which obstructs the ocean view. This property is on a bluff, it is not ocean front. The only drawback front the second floor, is you get the noise from the 3rd floor. The other drawback is that some of the trees from the landscape have grown up to the second floor and they obstruct the ocean view.
There are some items that need improvement. First of all, Marriott needs to do better to enforce its own rules. First, about no dogs allowed. I saw two different people with dogs at the event lawn. These were not service dogs. And, I noticed a tremendous number of people using the pools with no wrist bands. I saw a lot of people letting their guests in to the pool. Large numbers of people, especially at the pool by the tennis courts. I must say I was terribly offended by some of the guest's behavior. Ghetto, low class. I don't know how much control Marriott has over who rents their villas, but Marriott does have control to enforce rules once these people get on property. A lot of drinking and partying going on even around small children. The behavior of some of these people is gross. Not picking up garbage after themselves, yelling at their kids, kids running around loud and unsupervised. While by and large there were a large number of families behaving themselves, there were a lot of undesirable people that I would not choose to spend my vacation around. I saw one mom leave her toddler alone and unsupervised, while she disappeared for about ten minutes. I saw another mom yell and degrade her kids, which to me bordered on child abuse. Marriott, please supervise your facilities better. Send people around to make sure people are behaving properly so that all guests may enjoy the resort experience. The whole time I was there I only saw one instance of security asking someone for their wrist band, this was at Pacific Park, where clearly an intoxicated man was being obnoxious.
My further complaint is about the staff. By far the friendliest and most helpful staff were the poolside staff. I thought the front desk staff were nice. The concierge was so so. The house keeping staff was pretty shy. I tried to say hello, but the ones that I encountered avoided me. I thought the people at the showroom were apathetic. At the family welcome event i asked to look at the show room, the young man sent me inside to concierge. At concierge the gentleman said he couldn't help me and left it at that. Didn't go the extra step to find me someone who could. I was genuinely interested in finding out about ownership opportunities since I had missed the Thursday wine tasting.
There are some other items that could be improved. First of all, the disabled parking spaces in the parking lots outside of the registration area, need to be repainted. The blue designation is faded away and I saw an awful lot of people without disabled placards or plates parking there. While I noticed disabled guests struggling to find parking. Parking by the villas fills up. Second, while shuttle service is available, who wants to wait on a shuttle each and every time you want to go to the main pool and surrounding areas. It would be more convenient for guests if more walking trails could be carved out so you don't have to walk around large loops of property to get from location to location.
Finally, the quiet pools are a joke. They are running rampant with loud and unsupervised kid. I noticed many unhappy guests because of this. These quiet areas need to be supervised better. And, the pools are crowded, Marriott might want to consider limiting the size of water toys. While the beach ball and kids with arm floaties are understandable, some folks were going in with flotation devices the size of flotillas.

So, all in all, I'm only giving one star because of the low class quality and behavior of many of the guests and the shortfalls of the staff to get control of this. Unfortunately, this over shadows the amenities, which are very nice.

Come on Marriott, you can do better. I like the Marriott brand. I was disappointed here, though.
I'm not expecting the Ritz Carlton experience. But I am expecting a family friendly experience.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor if possible. Second floor is okay, but trees may obstruct your view. First f...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!