“Tasty Food and Comfortable Ambience”
Review of Nesai

Ranked #376 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Asian
Lahaina
“Tasty Food and Comfortable Ambience”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This little gem seems almost unknown, but should be in everyone's restaurant rotation. While any restaurant can have a unique menu, Nesai manages to do so, and deliciously at that! I took my girlfriend there for the second time last night. We sat at the bar and ordered appetizers to share and entrees. The crispy braised pork belly was my favorite, although the scallops with homemade sweet potato raviolis were a very close second. And don't forget to ask for the artichoke (not currently on the menu but seasonally available) which boasts a smoky flavor due to grilling and is stuffed with marinated mushrooms. For entrees my girlfriend had the halibut special (tender, moist and flaky) and I ordered the short ribs (rich flavors infused into tender meat). Both were exceptionally flavorful and came with sides. The owner is very friendly and helpful with drink selections... I was lucky enough to get a scotch tasting with some unknown-to-me scotches. My girlfriend had a glass of Davis Bynum chardonnay which also came recommended. There seems to be an excellent and extensive selection of wines which the owner loves to hand sell. We can't recommend Nesai highly enough, we just love it there!

Visited June 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Little known but excellent”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Outstanding fusion restaurant. Scallops were to die for. So were the braised ribs High quality though smalish wine list. Everything here is well done. The Japanese lady who runs it is a gem. Very friendly service. Amazing this is undiscovered.

• Visited January 2013
Southern California
“Would love to love Nesai, but can't because of inconsistent service!”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I want to love this restaurant; I live closeby and I'd love to have it in my "local rotation" but my experience is that it's inconsistent. Things I like about it: the offbeat location, the owner who is very into wine, the diverse menu, supporting this local business, Tuesday night no-corkage nights (bring your own glass)... but as was the case when I was here last, the service was inconsistent. It wasn't an especially busy week night. We ordered an app, a salad and mains. We were served our salads first - which we thought was odd, but they were brought out not by our waiter, but by a runner, so we had no one to question. Then soon after, our mains were served by the runner. Our waiter didn't come by, so we started eating. We continued eating, presuming he forgot our app, which was disappointing since when we asked our waiter to suggest his favorite app, he suggested this one, and we told him when ordering that we were choosing it based on his recommendation. After our dinner plates were removed, it seemed to take about 15 minutes for him to come over to our table (mind you, it was not crowded; We were asking ourselves "where is he?") and he offered us dessert. By then, we were really ready to leave, and we reminded him that we didn't get our appetizer. The food was very good, no complaints there, but I need some service to accompany the food in order for it to be a great - or even good - experience. I guess it'll be awhile again before we give it another chance.

California
“Something unique from the same old menus”
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We found this place by accident, while checking reviews on another restaurant we were considering going to.
What a pleasant surprise this place is - casual, friendly with great food and service. And best of all, the menu is unique, not the same boring basics every restaurant offers. Some of the dishes on the menu sound familiar, but the Nesai chef puts his (or is it her) own spin on them, for a nice change of pace, great flavors and artistic presentation on the plates. Even though we live approximately 25 miles away, we will definetly be going back !

Newport Beach, California
“One of our favorite local spots”
Reviewed 25 September 2008

This is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is consistently delicious. The owner is always there with a hello and glad to see you back. The ambiance is slightly funky, but that makes it more charming! Go and enjoy!