“An Oasis”

Newport Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Beautiful hotel steps from the beach. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The rooms have a wow factor but our room could have benefitted from a heavier curtain as daylight poured in at 5am. Breakfast was complimentary as was the Wifi. The hotel has a secure parking lot to the rear. I have christened this hotel my mini shutters on the beach and I have great memories of my visit to Newport Beach as a result of my stay.

3  Thank planb4ugoCork

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was a great find of a hotel located in the heart of Newport Beach. The staff was friendly and let us use their bikes for free to explore all Newport has to offer including Balboa Island. The rooms were well appointed and a little quirky but overal nice and clean. The hotel is located steps from the beach and walking distance to all the bars and stores.
Very good value, can't wait to come back.

2  Thank Pete A
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I can see that this used to be quite the boutique inn..... It needs some serious attention though, as it is starting to slip. There were multiple repairs needed in our jacuzzi suite which, if it were my inn and I wanted to be a 4 or 5 star, I'd take care of those ASAP. The phone didn't work in our room (or the whole inn, as we found out). There are pieces of drywall chunked out of the wall, tiles missing in the bathroom, pieces of floor trim torn partially up.

Other notes: parking is not free, it is $18/ night. Breakfast is less than a holiday inn express.... Muffin or bagel in Saran Wrap, coffee, cereal or hard booked eggs, no decaf coffee and condiments like jam not stocked up. Garbage in breakfast room not emptied all day, so at night full of breakfast things, and the garbage cans themselves are broken (you have to lift with your hand instead of stepping on a pedal).

One other thing I wish I'd known: the sunrise jacuzzi room, which we stayed in, does not have a deck, or privacy at all. What looks like a deck on the website photos, with lots of windows and light, is actually the door from your room to the hall.... The hall leading from the main hotel to the parking lot. I never felt comfortable leaving the drapes open because people walking by would look into our room. We kept them closed, which made the room feel more closed off as they are the only windows in the room. There is a skylight in the bathroom and glass blocks, so light gets into the room anyways, but not any other windows per se.

One other note - there are lots of taverns and pubs around, that area has quite the nightlife. We never heard anything in our room at the back of the hotel, but the front rooms would be very very noisy.

All that being said: the room was decorated beautifully, the bed was comfy, linens soft, staff helpful and cheerful, and location is perfect. We enjoyed borrowing bikes, and heading down the boardwalk.

So would I stay again? Probably, but with lowered expectations. And not due to the hotel being so great, I think it is a bit overpriced for the quality received. We may stay again due to location.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank JMS75
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is fantastic if you are looking for a family vibe hotel. The staff are really lovely and they all really want you to enjoy your stay. They provide complimentary parking and continental breakfast daily. This place is really clean, tidy and well appointed. Everything in our room was clean and suited us to a tee. We stayed in room 108 and it had a spa in the room. They have free bike hire which we utilised and went for a bike ride up to Huntington Beach.

Room Tip: The front room at ocean view but they do come at a price.
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We actually stayed here in August 2012 but it won't let me go that far back - been meaning to write a review ever since!

We had two nights here during out honeymoon and it truly fabulous!!

The staff were so friendly, supplied us with bikes, games and towels for the beach free of charge!

The room was clean, quiet and over all great and the location well this is to die for - right on the beach!

Newport Beach is a beautiful place to stay and I can't recommend this hotel enough, hope to return one day!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here in Mar / 14. We arrived way before check-in and was given an upgraded room without asking by the wonderful hotel manager.While it did not have an ocean view, it was not needed as there is a beautiful sitting area on the upper front floor, which we used each morning and evening. The room was clean, spacious and quiet.The continental breakfast was perfect, All the staff were super friendly.
The hotel is situated in the heart of Newport, so you you want to experience some awesome beach life, then this the the place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Well, as many of you know from previous reviews, I am a big fan of Hermosa Beach and go quite often. This year my kids and I decided to change it up and head to Newport Beach for spring break. I had come across a small, elegant, boutique hotel called The Newport Beach Hotel. It was a bit like stumbling across a secret garden. Nestled in an otherwies over populated tourist pier is one of the most precious hotels in California. The staff is like that friendly neighbor you love seeing when you were a kid. They are kind, accomodating and always seeking to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are warm, tasteful and beautifully decorated and are incredibly quiet considering the size of the hotel. There is something for everyone from newlyweds, who we met on our first night, to families like ourselves. All in all, I give this hotel a huge congratulations on making a trip away from home all the adventure of vacation without losing any of the comforts of a loving home. My only regret is that the secret will be out!

Room Tip: If you have kids ask for one of the two back rooms with the pull out trundles.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family