“What a find.”

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 21 July 2008

This was our second trip to this area of California but the first time we had actually stayed in Newport Beach. We found this hotel by doing the usual research on Trip Advisor before booking anything and what a find.

The hotel itself is clean, tidy and well located. The staff are even better. It was my wife's birthday during our stay so I had several email communications before we arrived recommending places to eat. Local knowledge is something you can't buy.

Nothing is too much trouble for anybody employed here. Can't get in the car park? Not a problem, they'll help with the parking meter. Feeling a bit hungry? Help yourself to what you find in the kitchen cupboards.

We had a partial sea view room on the third floor that looked like it had recently been refurbished with a large flat screen telly, comfortable bed and more than adequate bathroom.

We weren't surprised to see a Trip Advisor award already sitting on the check in desk.

If we ever get the opportunity to return to Newport Beach I would have no hesitation in booking the Bay Shores again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupert L

Reviewed 10 June 2008

We stayed here 3 nights and found it very nice. It is not the newest but I would bet it is the friendliest I have ever had experience with. They go way out of the way to make one's stay enjoyable. They even followed up with a post card to thank us for staying with them (handwritten). UNBELIEVABLE

2  Thank PammyRae
Reviewed 10 June 2008

My experience with this hotel was just so great. We felt very welcome and at home. The staff was so friendly and willing to help. The view from the sun deck was just amazing. We stayed in a suite and it was just perfect. The cookies in the afternoon were the best and one of my favorite ammenities. The atmosphere was very relaxing and I recommend this hotel as a beach getaway. Thanks for a great weekend!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2008

I cannot believe the comments below. This hotel is right where you want it and is rated no. 1 for a reason. I'm from the UK and if you went to any hotel of this type in England you'd be hard pressed to find a room as big as the bathroom in this place.

No this hotel doesnt have a pool but why would you want one when you've got the beach and ocean on your doorstep. No it doesnt have a restaurant but why would you when you have hundreds of cafes and restaurants within a few miles of Newport Beach, not to mention the ones within walking distance. And no, there is no fitness centre (center) but again why would you want it when you can walk the beach or jog around the street? there is no need for any of these facilities because the hotel is just ifne as it is. The most important thing is you get the service you need and the staff fully make up for this in effort and knowledge.

This is the best hotel out of the 17 in Newport Beach.

• Stayed: May 2008
5  Thank megan128a
Reviewed 4 June 2008

This is an old Best Western that has been refurb'd and launched as a boutique establishment. The front desk was very friendly. They gave us a killer restaurant recommendation for dinner - highest marks there. The room was okay but nothing special. The plasma TV had a mediocre picture. You are close to the beach (a block or two) and they do provide towels and boogie boards. It looked to us like it could be noisy here in peak season so come prepared for that. Oh, and the parking lot is tight to maneuver in. The included continental breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank driverphil
Reviewed 21 May 2008

This is place is nothing more than an old apartment building converted to a 23 room hotel. No pool, no fitness center, and no restaurant. How they can call this is a hotel is beyond me. They can’t be serious. With all the positive ratings this hotel has received, I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out, because I went there because of the positive reviews. As a result, it's the number 1 rated hotel in NPB on Trip Advisors. It is really the number 1 rated hotel in Newport Beach? Come on people.

Partial ocean views are a joke. There is a major street, Balboa blvd, between the hotel and a double row of houses and apartments that block the hotel from ocean. My ‘partial ocean view’ room faced the municipal parking lot (see photos from my room attached). There is no view of the ocean looking out my window...it a parking lot.

Their website [--] (come on guys, the best inn?), states they have courtyard balconies. There are no balconies. Imagine an outside common corridor with a table and chairs in front of everyone’s room door. So you sit there, with a view of the ‘courtyard’ parking lot, and between you and your room door, everyone walks by to get to their own room. Balcony?

They don’t have enough parking, so the hotel has the front desk direct you to a city parking lot, across the street, where the employee will put quarters in the meter throughout your stay. Their one elevator is one of those old fashion ‘cage’ type units, with the steel gate that you pull back manually to get inside and out. (see photo)

The Staff was fine. It's just apparent, if you sit in the lobby with a cup of coffee for 30 minutes, which I did, that they go a long way to make up for the short comings of the facility.

As I write this there are 19 of the last 20 reviews rated this hotel a Trip Advisor 5 (excellent)...Trip Advisors top rating. Oh, and the one that didn’t rate it a 5 was still happy, calling it a 'great hotel', and management commented, to make it appear it was an anomaly. So, I won't even say, don't stay there. You should, and then tell me if this is really the best hotel of the 17 in NPB. Well, I look forward to their mgmt pointing out where I was incorrect or unfair, if this ever even get’s posted.

• Stayed: May 2008
24  Thank knozTravel
Reviewed 5 May 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our California vacation.
This is the BEST hotel we have ever stayed in. Not the most plush, lavish, or exotic hotel w/ the best/most amenities, but for all-around service, location and atmosphere, Bay Shores Peninsula Inn is TOPS!
Location - right on Balboa Ave and just a 1 minute walk to the beach. Restaurants and shopping only a 5-minute walk.
Service - Clay at the front desk went out of his way to make our stay so nice - directions, where to eat, helping us w/ our luggage onto the elevator, then running up the stairs to open door and help us out of the elevator, and making sure we had everything we needed. The other staff members were just as friendly & helpful. If there is not enough room to park in their lot (only about 10 spaces) they give you pass to park in the city lot across the street AND THEY FEED THE METER for you! How cool is that?! Also, the free beach towels, chairs, boogie boards and umbrellas were a nice touch.
Breakfast bar each morning was very good and had a nice variety of choices.
Our room was on the 2nd floor and overlooked both the parking lot and Balboa Ave. Very clean, well decorated and a good amount of space. Water pressure in the shower was grand!. We really liked the way the room was decorated. So much so my wife wants to redecorate our bedroom the same way. Thanks a lot guys...:P The king size bed was very comfortable and we didn't here any of our neighbors either above, below or on the side of our room.
Views from the sun deck were great both at sunrise and sunset (see pictures).
This hotel is also very close to the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana - only about a 7-10 minute drive.
We have stayed in hotels/motels all over the US, Canada and UK and this is the BEST hotel so far in which we have stayed. Only wish it could have been for more than 2 nights.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple