“Honest, detailed stay - skeptical about this hotel? So was I”

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“Honest, detailed stay - skeptical about this hotel? So was I”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

In my review searching of hotels on Tripadvisor it is almost a phenomenon to come across a hotel with 95% "Excellent" reviews. Surely, they must be fake or the hotel has cash in the room for you, but honestly this was a great bed and breakfast with a super awesome location.

I can honestly say I would not rate it "Excellent" as this is a bed and breakfast, not a hotel - this is where the disconnect starts for me as I think it should be under B&B reviews and not hotels, but front the staff to the amenities are just awesome.

The hotels location is less than a block from the beach, while not on the beach directly - it is a walk across the street (Busier street) and then you are smack in the middle of it. Being off the beach a bit gives it a little more privacy.

The looks of the building outside are nothing to write home about, but it is set up an a nice fashion. I would say maybe 25 rooms or so total with a few "suites" make it a unique property. No 2 rooms seemed to be the same and one of the rooms one of our parties had was tiny while another one was standard.

The clientele of the area in general are surfers (Younger college kids with large groups and parties etc) The clientele of this hotel seems to cater more to couples and families which is a nice departure from the houses for rent or other small hotels in the area. We went in Oct. so it was a slower period for the area and it was nice and quiet. The overall type of person that was in the hotel was a friendly, outgoing sort that I could compare to a Hilton Garden Inn crowd. No one is lavish or throwing around money, yet no one looks out of place or should be kicked off the property.

The hotel has one small elevator (old fashioned) that stops at the first and third floor - the second floor only has stairs (technically third as well) so just be aware of this. The hotel has parking onsite, but really only say 6 spots, but right across the local street is public parking and just let the front desk know and they feed your meter for as long as you are there for no additional cost! WOW

The staff at the property is just amazing, every person was genuine and kind. We had met maybe three of the front desk staff members and each very nice and helpful. The cleaning staff is so hard working and kind - they are very efficient and do a good job.

We had booked a "suite" at the property which was technically a bed in the living room and a separate bedroom and one bath. The room had some great appointments to it and a comfortable at home feel to it. The carpet I wanted to wash really bad, but it looked clean (I just am not a fan of hotel carpet to begin with) The main living space had a couch, desk and queen size bed with a huge TV! The standard rooms have very small harder to use TVs, but you really don't need that when going to the beach anyways!

Our room came with bottled water, a fridge and a microwave - I think only the suite(s) have this feature. The standard rooms I did not see a fridge, but some might. No microwave though - and all standards had small TVs and small bathrooms.

The amenities in the bathroom are plentiful and at the time are LaSource which is a decent brand. The towels are clean and bathroom is in good shape - the shower was standard, but they still were able to have a nice marble tiled floor! The bathroom had a fan in it, but still got really steamy which is always annoying to me.

Bed was comfortable and bedding was ok, pillows a little rough but no worries. The furniture in the room was a little old, but was in good condition. We were facing the street and it was a bit noisy, but the window is actually pretty sound proof. The AC unit in the room is loud, but if you know my reviews - that is normal as the unit is in the actual room - this one though was very noisy but kept the room cool at night. (No automatic settings though so it is either on or off which can be annoying in the middle of the night)

The amenities that the hotel features rocked, warm cookies at 3PM all evening are a great thing to come back to. Parking is included and seemed to be enough of it (Although during peak season) I can see how it is tough to find. The Internet in the room is complimentary! As many devices as you want - great perk and it was pretty fast, but a little spotty at times. Breakfast is decent - good spread of breads, fresh uncut fruits and breakfast sandwiches you warm up. There is cereal and oatmeal etc as well - no juices (Just OJ in a carton), but for a free breakfast it worked nicely! The breakfast area is super small though, when two people are in there it is busy so that was kind of annoying, but space is limited for them so I understood - just give yourself a little more time.

Coffee available 24 hours! Rock on!

The hotel also has beach towels and beach equipment for daily complimentary use! Awesome - kids toys are available as well!

The team at the property can really make the stay, they know the area - are super outgoing and work very hard to keep the property going.

Check out the rooftop deck, do not miss it - GREAT views of the area - bring breakfast up there or a couple drinks at night during sunset! There are some great restaurants and bars within a less than 10 minute walk and a 7-11 for grocery needs near by.

SNA airport is about 15 minutes away and I would say LAX is maybe 30ish minutes away. Downtown LA is pretty far, keep in mind this in South LA. You really do not need need a car, but it is nice to have.

Overall, a great find - it really is a hidden gem - there are a lot of houses for rent in the area and this is a nice little B&B tucked in the middle of it all. It was not an "Excellent" experience for me and am still a little skeptic of the amount of Excellent, but come with high expectations and they will be met! Just note it is not a Hyatt or Hilton - no gym, no pool, no large lobby, no onsite restaurant etc.

Great job team! Lovely property!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room if available, the property seems to get a little pricey as well - so make sure...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank reinventtravel
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your extensive review; I know potential guests will find your attention to all of our amenities really useful. Thank you for saying that all the staff were awesome; they will certainly appreciate the comments as they take real pride in their work. Looking forward to hosting you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I am so very excited to be coming for another visit over Thanksgiving. This is positively my favorite place to stay in Newport Beach (8th or 9th time I believe). Wonderful staff, rooms are very well taken care of, fresh baked cookies in the afternoon and a great breakfast (also free). We just can't get enough of the beach, shops and the fantastic restaurants just a few steps away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
It really does sound like you'll be 'home for the holidays'! We so look forward to having the pleasure of hosting you again at this special time. Travel safely on your way to us!
barcelona
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel one night. It is right on the beach and the beach is wonderful. It is quiet, relaxed and very friendly. All extras are free including parking. Free freshly baked cookies in the lounge after 15.00 hours. My only reserve is that the rooms are not large. Perfectly adequate for me on my own but maybe not so much for a couple. However the bed was big and comfortable. Staff were all very helpful. They have a large DVD library which is free for guests, in fact so many attentive details and the roof top terrace is a lovely place to sit and enjoy the view. There are many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for coming to our Country and for making Bay Shores part of your journey. I really appreciate your review and for mentioning so many of our amenities. We'd love to have the pleasure of your company if you return this way again, safe travels for the rest of your vacation.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I booked this hotel after reading other reviews and it lived up to the expectations. Very helpful & friendly staff, clean & well appointed rooms, excellent location to the beach and restaurants, free beach chairs & toys, free breakfast, free parking and best of all is the wonderful customer service (greeting card on bed, turn down at night & ohhh those cookies). I would definitely stay and recommend here again. We enjoy smaller hotel venues instead of the mega chains and this one fits the bill.

Room Tip: ask for room off Balboa Ave (the main drag)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
On behalf of all independent hotel owners everywhere, thank you for being our treasured guest and for choosing the unique experience only a boutique hotel can provide. I so appreciate you taking the time to write your review, I hope you come up the Coast to stay with us again soon.
Leicester, UK
Reviewed 1 October 2013

As with other reviewers we had a great stay at the hotel, and after having stayed at a 4 Diamond hotel in San Diego before our visit here were a bit apprehensive.
Location is excellent - across the beach and bay. Free car parking. Staff were very attentive and helpful.
Great buffet breakfast to start the day and we took ours on the sundeck on the 4th floor, with views of both the ocean and bay.
A short walk to Newport pier and restuarants and bar - the car did move for the 3 days of our stay.
Beach towels, chairs and body boards provided without charge.
Will definitely return.
Thanks to all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
On behalf of all the employees, thank you for coming to stay and for posting your review. I really appreciate you mentioning the hotel's proximity to both the bay and the beach and for commenting on the staff. Location and service are the stock in trade at Bay Shores and I am so glad that you found both to your liking. Hope you come back one day to see us again.
Southern California
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Well to start with we really enjoyed staying at the Bay Shores Peninsula hotel. Others have said so many good things so it’s hard to come up with something different.

One of the most important things to understand is what you’re looking for in a place to stay. Do you want a spa – resort experience with waiter’s pool side to take your drink order, or a place where you just pour yourself a drink and head up to the roof deck and take in the sunset? Do you want valets or free parking? Do you want to plan a trip to the beach, just walk across the street? Do you want to be able to dine at the hotel or go walking and explore what is available in the neighborhood? We’ve enjoyed staying at both types of facilities; but typically we go with the latter.

Overall the Bay Shores Peninsula hotel is a great facilitator of fun at a very reasonable rate, how much fun you have is strictly up to you. It’s easy to go down and list all the hotel has to offer, but it’s what worked for us that was important, we specifically liked -

• No resort or parking fees, seriously these are getting out of hand at some places

• Being able to get a light breakfast before going out for the morning or day

• Relaxing in the lobby reading a Surfer magazine (hotel provided) while waiting for my wife to get ready to go out and about

• Grabbing a couple cookies for a snack between lunch and dinner, or for a later late night snack

• Getting a couple of DVD’s to watch in the evening after a long day out and about

• Walking a block or so for something to eat, the donut place and Original Pizza, both near the pier, are both really good and the 7-11 is handy

• Heading up to the roof deck for a few minutes of RnR and to take in the view

• The 50 yard walk to the beach or 25 yard walk to the bay

All the Stuff

Location -
The location was great; you can walk to shops, restaurants, a convenience store or two and one of the piers. It is on a main drag so the traffic can be noisy with windows open, but we were surprised how quite our room could be with the windows closed.

Cleanliness -
The Bay Shores Peninsula hotel was clean. I typically judge cleanliness by the bath-shower enclosure and the quality of how things are painted, both in the room and around the facility. With the bath shower enclosure, nothing but shine. I understand quality of painting is odd, but it’s one area of maintenance to me that shows care and quality. Hotels take a beating and often you’ll find poorly performed paint maintenance, no prep just a splash of paint to cover the stain or gouge or whatever. None of that, everything was very well maintained.

Cost (basically everything was free for guests) –
I think the Bay Shores Peninsula hotel was a very good value considering the location, no charge parking, free cookies & breakfast, DVD’s to borrow and all kinds of beach gear to use, free wi-fi. Each room also has a small safe and refrigerator. Oh and also water and fruit in the room also.

Staff –
Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Fun Factor -
Lots of opportunity for fun thanks to the hotel, watch a movie, get some cookies, go up and hang out on the roof desk, get some of the beach gear and go down to the beach or bay. Tons of hotel fun for guests.

The Funky –
• Yea the elevator was an old timer, but it was neat and added to the character of the place

• I think our Queen bed might have actually be a Princess, but hey all the cozier, yeah baby!

• Room was a little small, but our view was great. I think some of the rooms were larger, but I wouldn’t have traded. I think this would be a good thing to review with hotel staff if it is important to you.

Suggestion for the staff at the Bay Shores Peninsula hotel –
I only have one, maybe a sign or something letting people know they can get a coffee (or milk?) in the breakfast area while the cookies are out. Might be obvious to some, but I didn’t realize it until the second day.

Room Tip: 304 is small and probably has more traffic noise than other rooms, but has a nice view. Would recomm...
1 Thank Zwhite
In all my years as a hotel owner, I don't think we have ever received such an extensive review!! Thank you so much for taking the time (and it must have taken a lot of time!) to provide future guests with such a comprehensive description of your recent experience. From the rooftop to the parking lot you covered it all to include the lovely way you described our elevator, an 'old timer' - now if I could just get such a graceful description applied to me! Again, thanks for the wonderful review; I sincerely hope you come and be our guest again soon.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my wife for our honeymoon almost a year ago. We loved the place soooooo much that we still visit their website and see the pictures. The location was great, you can just walk to the beach. The staff is great and the breakfast is yummie. They also give out boards to use for surfing etc.
We will come back, this is a promise to the hotel! We cant wait to see you guys again.
Rustam

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
We are so touched that we are part of some of your very special and happy memories! To see new photos, you can also stay in touch with us on Facebook; we'd love to have the pleasure of your company there too. Looking forward to being part of your future happiness!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#8 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach
Newport Channel Inn
Newport Channel Inn
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel? Share your experiences!