“Beach side Gem!”

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Bay Shore is an awesome little hotel right across the street from the beach and boardwalk. We love this place. They offer you warm chocolate chip cookies when you check in, and a great breakfast selection is also included. Once you check in, there is no need to drive anywhere. Everything you need is within walking distance. The hotel provides you with beach chairs, boogie boards, skim boards, and sand toys for the kids if you want. There is also a lovely rooftop deck to hang out on and take in the sunshine and the views. I almost hate to share my favorite beach hotel with anyone else, but they deserve it.
Shirley, La Canada CA

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank shirley91011
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

That's a tricky one isn't it - when you find something great do you you tell others! Well, thank you for sharing, I can assure you that as a small boutique hotel with a vintage vibe, no matter how popular we get, we're never going to change. Now, if we were to win the lottery…!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed two nights here as part of a road trip along the pacific coast - we had room 307 - the management have made a huge effort to accommodate guests' needs and it makes for a comfortable stay. The bed was good/ everything was spotlessly clean, breakfast perfectly adequate with cereals/pastries/toast/yoghurts/juice etc. There are free DVDs to borrow - beach gear too if you want it - the beach is 5 mins walk away and lovely.
My only complaint would be that the hairdryer was hopelessly under-powered!
This was the cheapest hotel of our trip [out of 5] and it was definitely the best in terms of feeling valued a clients.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review. As I have had less and less personal need for hairdryers (even my barber is charging me less this days - what's up with that?!), I've obviously taken my eye off of this particular amenity. Thank you for pointing out this deficiency - I'll definitely be looking in to it. Thanks so much for coming to stay,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Loved the hotel. Immediately felt welcomed and during our check-in. The very clean room we stayed in for two nights had a single queen bed which was sufficient. We weren't planning on spending much time in the room. But the room was nice with water and fruit on the tables waiting for us. Newspapers supplied daily, continental breakfast was very good with a huge selection to choose from. The location is great because you are located right in the middle of the peninsula. The vantage point from the hotel deck on top of the building affords you beautiful view of the bay on one side (a few power lines here and there) and the ocean on the other. Great sunrise/sunset advantage. Parking is supplied in the hotel lot or if it's full they will put coin in your meter for you in the public lot across the street. They have a good selection of DVDs and some were current. The hotel is really great. The only draw back is the walls are thin and if you get a noisy neighbor you'll be listening to their tv and hearing their conversations. Would I recommend? Hands down. Your walk to the beach is about 2 minutes. And if the weather was as good as our stay, you will fall in love again.

Room Tip: Room 304 is a corner room and has view of the ocean from one window and a view of the bay in the oth...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sweetbabylee

Thank you for your 'hands down' recommendation and for mentioning all of the amenities that you enjoyed. I am so happy that the weather and 'Cupid' played a part in making it a great vacation!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We just stayed 2 nights in a room with 2 queen beds. Room was spacious and clean. Loved the mom and pop feel. Staff was warm and welcoming. The complementary continental breakfast was a great value, plenty to choose from to start your day. Loved the complementary fruit and water bottles in room. Our room also had a refrigerator which was great. They offer free beach items to use, towels, chairs, etc. as well as free parking. The location is perfect which makes this an expensive hotel but I feel they go to great lengths to offer as much value as they can with the complementary items mentioned. We would stay there again and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MissBunny_13
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for the review; I am so glad that we were able to make you feel so welcomed! Small, friendly and with a vintage vibe, it's our pleasure to provide those little extras that make your stay as restful and fun as possible. So glad you're looking forward to your next visit - we are too!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome and such a great relaxed atmosphere that made my business trip so enjoyable.
After flying in from London and drive from LAX, the Bay Shores was the perfect place to unwind and chill. And what a location!!!!!
I made the trip back and forth from the NAMM show at Anaheim every day during my stay and the 40minute drive was well worth it after a day of loud guitars. The hotel and beach gave me the down time I needed to recover my senses.
Many thanks to the team for making me feel at home and I will not hesitate to return on my next visit to LA.........
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Roy C
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you so much for the great review and so pleased that we could provide some daily respite for your ears! One of my staff members was particularly envious that you were at NAMM - if you made it to the Bonham concert too, then that would just put her over the edge! Thank you again for the great review and btw, Pompey rocks too!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Really lovely hotel, a stones throw from the beach. A very homely, cosy, quality hotel with a lovely laid back atmosphere. We were a party of 6 .. Irish and Aussie ... Our bedrooms were really comfortable with lovely fluffy towels, Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, and flat screen tv. Breakfast was an informal buffet style arrangement which suited us really well. Nice rooftop sun deck with good views. We borrowed the hotel beach chairs and umbrella for a trip to the beach. Last but not least, the staff ... They were great and extremely helpful and friendly, so thanks to Warren, Ralph, Bruce and all the team.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MGRyan
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for the compliments on our hospitality - high praise indeed from two countries (Ireland and Australia) famed for their friendly and open natures! So glad you could come and stay with us and enjoy our amenities; I hope your party gets together again and that you come and enjoy Newport Beach again at Bay Shores!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel is an incredible find only one block from the Newport Beach boardwalk and the sand. My wife accompanied me on a business trip so we decided to stay at the beach. The Bay Shores Peninsula is a wonderful family-owned beach hotel. Warren, Ralph and team are awesome and will do anything they can to make your stay enjoyable. I went to work during the day and my wife was all over Newport Beach. I can't say enough good things about this hotel...and I've stayed at the Ritz Dana Point, Fairmont and other high end hotels. Its great to see people like Warren operating a wonderful little hotel on Newport Beach. My wife and I will definitely come back to this hotel. P.S. homemade cookies at 3:00 everyday are awesome.

Room Tip: The rooms along Balboa Ave are a little noisy but nothing super loud. We had room 302 and we would...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John L

I am so thrilled you both had a great time. When I was traveling a lot for business, I loved it when my wife could come along and we could make a mini-break out of what might have been a lonely and tedious road trip. Thanks for mentioning the location and how convenient we are for the beach and for giving the staff a special shout out; I'll be sure to pass your compliments on. Again thanks, and see you again soon.